Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This is game is a lot of fun.

Only midway through the campaign, and I've been impressed. I had gotten the impression that this was going to be quite a bit slower than POE, and I really don't find it that much slower. It could be because I picked rogue maybe. But I'm shifting (dashing) around, exploding packs, and I'm only like 33 (and I've been doing it a while). People made it sound like this was slowly going from small packs of 2-3 mobs to other small packs, but I'm not finding that the case at all.

Obviously coming off a good bit of POE, it's hard not to appreciate and comment on a lot of the QOL changes. But they're nice. So much less tedious clicking and time wasting inventory management.

It's not fair compare this campaign to POE's endgame - because POE's campaign also didn't have near the tedium and grind of its endgame. But either way, there's obviously some things that will carry over. And it's a fun campaign, with a cool gimmick. Performance has been great too - but again, I really only have sporadic problems with perf in POE in the endgame. But at least it's starting off on a good foot.

Definitely feel like I've gotten my $35 out of it already. I've looked up a bit about the endgame systems. It'll be great once they get the rest of them implemented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Big dev blog update - there's a big monolith update coming next patch. Seems pretty sweet.

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/monolith-overhaul/37245

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Things definitely keep improving, but to me one of the biggest flaws is that maps are static. So every time you see X environment, it's actually the 100% exact same layout.

I know that it could be argued that randomly/procedural tiled maps aren't really that much different of an experience, but it sure feels that way to me. "Oh forest map, wonder what direction to go" versus "Oh forest map, boss is up and to the left".

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Respeccing in this game doesn't bother me too much, but it bothers me more that it doesn't bother me, lol.

Like, if what speccing to be a *vomit* "meaningful choice", then it has to be painful-ish (or impossible) to change. If you don't want it to be a big burden, then allow open respeccing in towns or whatever.

This brand of "a little annoying but not really a big deal" just feels like it serves no actual design goal or choice. Like it's something the team was split on and argued about, and ended up with this compromise that's just pointless.

I've never gotten the fascination with "tough to respec". I've done nothing but enjoy a game more when I can try new ideas and builds out easily. Just feels like one of those archaic design things that some people still latch on to because they're just used to it. Probably partly because D2 wasn't part of my growing up. When i did play it after it had been out a year or two, I enjoyed it and beat it on the first difficulty, saw "now beat it again but harder" and was very much "Nope, done." with it. And then went back to CS 1.6 on the dorm's network :D.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Maybe I'm the weirdo, but I don't really care about MP much. I play poe 99% as a single player game with a goon chat box. Only ever group up to get/share a recipe or achievement or something of that nature, and I don't think LE has any needs like that, at least yet.

The only other time is for trading, and I infinitely prefer arpgs that just have good items, loot, and crafting so that I don't feel like I need trading.

Not saying it shouldn't have MP or anything, but beyond not having a guild chat box, just not a big thing to me.

I'd have infinitely preferred a procedural map system. The static layouts really make me bored earlier than it should, and it still surprises me with how much they get right, that they didn't do this.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I adhere to there always being three sides to any story (mine, yours, then the actual truth in the middle), so I'm not going to form a full opinion with only one side. Just something age has taught me.

That said, the lack of any severance is super lovely. I'm a software developer, and while in America it's not guaranteed, even smaller places usually give you a couple of weeks.

If they told you "you should see this coming" or whatever, it sounds like those talks with your boss, you each interpreted in very different ways. I've had situations too where during the interview very explicit arrangements were laid out, and two months later after I was out for a week due to a miscarriage at five months along, I come back and I'm told "we can't justify this upcoming vacation". At which point I told them I wasn't asking them to, because it was happening. I tried to stay positive about the place but after our trauma and feeling backstabbed, I ended up quitting a couple of weeks later.

All that to say - sounds like they lost a great talent. Sometimes a business needs to work one way, and not everyone likes that, and it's okay and people part ways. But they should have had some polite but frank conversations first to see if something better could be arranged. And if not, given you some severance. Given what you said about the interview, it sounds like there was some management and/or leadership shake up or something?

I'm a big fan of agile, and I've worked with devs before that claimed some project or effort couldn't be done in an iterative manner, and I was able to show them that yes, it could, and it ends up a better workflow too, once you adjust your thinking. However, I don't know poo poo about technical artists or how their work is done.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
That really sucks. Thanks for the info too about your role - I genuinely enjoy and appreciate hearing how other walks of life / careers go. Helps expand my worldview.

I'm surprised they wanted something so...concrete to show. I've done things that were more R&D or heavy refactoring, (or as we call it, "taking a chainsaw to the codebase") where stuff isn't really deliverable in the typical cadence. I still always have updates to give, though. When I sit down to work, ultimately there is some goal I'm trying to accomplish, in the short term, that can be a "deliverable". Sometimes a "spike (aka, research)" story outcomes are "write up real stories after figuring out some basic stuff". Or it might be "get this one page/module working on the new stack", even if the rest of the app is broken still. Or if it's a new project, it's little baby steps along the way (login page, then dashboard, then profile page, or whatever). We do weekly demos at my current place, and sometimes we just give updates on bigger initiatives, when we don't have stuff to really demo for it.

Like the planet generator stuff...I can definitely see how that's potentially iterative and would fit. Not everyone likes working as collaboratively and iteratively as you can with agile though, and to each their own. It sounds like you really like doing your own thing and managing yourself, and holding yourself accountable for deliverables. Some places that probably works great, and it sounds like at first it did there. Times change though, I guess. Sucks that it was so shortly after the interview especially. I'm still shocked that they gave you no severance. If you had been talking to HR, it sounds like maybe you did know that there was some friction that was causing issues?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Thanks for the perspective, I appreciate it. Your PIP story sounds similar to Elentor's story, just with a much better ending.

TaintedBalance posted:

Your posts are coming off real victim blame-y as an FYI. Stop defending some abstract manager in the face of an actual worker putting forward their story.

Sorry if that's how it's coming across. Was just trying to understand what was happening, as opposed to jumping on a mob bandwagon. Elentor's awesome so I immediately understand why people immediately want to take their side. Elentor is the only person we can talk to about it, so of course my questions all go to them, and it can look like the person getting questioned is being attacked. I'm not defending anyone, or at least not intentionally. Just asking if certain scenarios are the bigger picture that was or could have been going on. When there's fights I tend to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and try to understand all sides.

Anywhos, I'll move on, and I appreciate the discussion.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This is fine to me. One of the worst things about Poe is that it's balanced around trade. For D3, if I want gear or anything, I can farm it myself in a reasonable manner.

And I play in parties *extensively* more in d3. The mechanics, or at least bounties, encourage it. Poe, the only actual group play is when guildees share map competition, which is done in a week (if not a few days).

The Locator posted:

Bit off topic, but it's probably been a couple of years since I last played PoE - can you point me at a summary of the latest protracted pants making GBS threads episode going on there?

Starting with 3.15 (3.20 just came out, league per quarter), the player numbers have been on an overall decline. They've made the early game, of all things, harder. They're trying to drastically slow down gameplay, and it's been bumpy. A few leagues ago was "archnemesis", where you fought special tough mobs. After that, they replaced all rare mobs with archnem mobs.

This.. pretty negatively impacted the game. Mob bosses didn't mean anything, only archnem. It really screwed over several mechanics like delve and blight because they didn't test it. They nerfed it, only to secretly unnerf it the next league.

Then we have Kalandra, last league. That stuff is going on, then they majorly changed how loot drops without saying anything. Loot was scarce as hell. They turned archnem into literal loot goblins where people would hire magic find cullers. They'd point to a streamer getting insanely lucky and say "see loot is fine". Plus the usual stuff of new league mechanic being too tough, too annoying, combined with poo poo rewards.

It's been their worst league by far. Players dropped off insanely hard.

Anyways, this league is great. Super fun apology league. Archnem removed (basically). There's still loot goblins, but you don't need a mf culler anymore. Loot comes at a reasonable pace. The new league mechanic needs some love, but overall it's super fun and refreshing (of course some hate it).

There were lots of other smaller things that kept happening too, but that's the broader stuff.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
This is pretty great. I love seeing an arpg innovate instead of "well d2 did it".

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Wow, big new multiplayer feature for a game launches and for the first few hours there were issues? Unheard of!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Captain Oblivious posted:

I already know how to use Microsoft Excel thanks, I’m good

I wish poe was simple enough to use excel for

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

SlyFrog posted:

Anyone willing to give a quick comparison/opinion/which should I play of this versus Grim Dawn?

I prefer LE over GD, personally. Neither are POE levels of explode packs, but LE has plenty of it. LE has much more fun boss fights and general murder-hobo gameplay, compared to my memory of GD.

I enjoyed GD for the campaign, but I think I had all the expansions too, and got burnt out before finishing them. Much less any endgame loop that game may or may not have, no idea.

LE has a pretty fun endgame loop to keep you more interested.

If you already own both, then just play one until you're tired of it, and then play the other (or take a palette cleanser of another genre in between). LE isn't done yet (9 acts of the story, out of 12 planned I think?) but that's still tons to enjoy and lots of zones and variety. By the time it's finished, you'll want to play again anyways. Assuming you're a modern ARPG player who enjoys the seasons playstyle, that is. If you're a "play the campaign, beat the final big bad, uninstall and never think of the game again", then yeah I guess play GD and wait until LE has their 1.0 launch in like...1-3 years, heh.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Saxophone posted:

if I have to repeat the game on 3 different difficulties before I get to play the end result.

I do not miss that design basically being dead in modern ARPGs.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Heh, you know, that's an interesting take. I've gotten less and less enamored with player power in both MMORPGS and ARPGS. The industry has kind of moved that way too, with so many of the games having level scaling to where progression of that nature matters less. Some of the top MMOs have never even had level increases (ESO, GW2), some of them made levels basically pointless with constant resets and "crunches" (WoW). Then D4 with it's "ARPG with MMO-lite flavorings" is all level scaled of course too. Some of them even have basically flat gear progression too (sometimes a new set comes out that is better, but usually it's a balance issue, not like "item level go up" way).

And how many games claim "fashion quest is the true endgame" these days too?

So yeah, more common in MMOs, but I feel it's slowly creeping into ARPGs too. Interesting take.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've dipped into LE a couple of times and always like the game.

Have they finished the campaign yet? Not refinements, but at least all the chapters they wanted to include?

And have they said when the trade faction stuff is planned for? 1.0 or later?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

zoux posted:

And jsut for the recursive absurdity of it, here's Aaron reacting to Asmo reacting to Raxx reacting to Last Epoch.

Every time we get to "third streamer in the chain" I'm reminded of that one Bo Burnham skit from Inside.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
They made a PoE build in LE, nice.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sab669 posted:

I have the worst kind of brain worms where I like to play online AND not interact with anyone

I feel seen

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Falconer reveal by Ziz + Maxroll team: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlxyfrJuVVI

The explosive trap bow variant is definitely dope.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sab669 posted:

Trees have branches; Diablo 4 has skill twigs.

And PoE has a skill bush

Two of them actually

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I don't really have a feel for any of this as I've barely played, maybe base drop rates are just fine!

In the current game which doesn't have trading, ssf is fine, obviously.

I believe they've said though that for the release that the current drop rates are going to be cut by quite a bit.

I can't help you out with a build suggestion, but one of the newer spellcaster classes is pretty neat (runemaster). Too complex for me, but might be up your alley. Depending on what order you cast in a row, different things happen. There's a crap ton of effects this can make. Seemed quite unique.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
As an old man pc gamer superiority type, I did finally decide to get an xbox a few months ago and try game pass. It's....really pretty awesome.

My family all like to play games for a little bit, so it gives them a lot of variety to gently caress around with things, without having to buy of bunch of stuff to only play for 4-5 hours.

Then I can play stuff on my PC too, and even on my phone using a backbone controller adapter thing (via streaming from the xbox, or cloud gaming if I don't have it installed - cloud gaming isn't perfect though). Been plenty of stuff (mainly shooters) that I've been checking out, that I couldn't be arsed to buy.

Not trying to shill for game pass, but as someone who never bothers with consoles other than Nintendo, jumping in recently made me really dig the service.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've played through the campaign twice in the few years I've owned this. Looking forward to 1.0.

Not sure on what I'm going to play yet. FlaconEEEER is definitely tempting, and will probably have some broken OP builds once it's in the hands of everyone. That said, I also haven't played a minion build here yet, so I might roll a necro and get a bone army going.

I hear squirrel army is a thing too, but I think I wanna roll with skeles first.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

theshim posted:

nooooooooooooo

I generally hate crafting in ARPGs and MMOs and things.

The crafting in this game is great, straightforward, fast, and predictable. Either it'll make "the stat you want" go up, or it'll fail. You have a limited amount of attempts. You won't brick your item or anything (you just will eventually not be able to craft on it anymore).

It's minorly more complex than say bench crafting in PoE.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Just Another Lurker posted:

Nearly bought the game yesterday, but Wolcen traumatised me too much. :stare:

In a week or two.

While there's absolutely no reason to not buy it now (the game has been a good buy for at least a couple of years), there's also no harm in waiting a week or two.

If you want to play offline, there's not really even a ton to worry about.

If you want to play online, yeah, waiting a week or two is always a good idea for almost every game these days, heh. I saw yesterday even their forums had some banner message up about high server load for a bit (because of the patch notes).

Semi-related, but lastepochtools.com was down a lot yesterday too. Not sure if that was due to traffic or updates. But this morning the site mostly isn't working at all (at least yesterday it was cloudflare).

Not that LE Tools is ran by EHG, but just that the game hype is reaching critical levels so there's no way online play won't be a bit of a shitshow for a while.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Bardeh posted:

Diablo 4 isn't much fun because the loot sucks, but it sure does feel fantastic to play.

To add to the "that's subjective" convo - I tried D4 twice (once during closed beta, again during open beta), and I felt it was so loving boring that it wasn't fun at all. I felt better in PoE on the coast. Once it's on gamepass I'll try it again at some point I guess.

That said, I would also agree that LE always felt like it was lacking some "oomph" (even though I've still always really liked it). I'm looking forward to how the improvements feel in-game for this.

Tonetta posted:

did the patch drop overnight or something? we're getting close to the release, kinda worried about the downloading shitshow that will ensue if they just drop the patch right at 11

On a dev interview stream, they confirmed that'll it just be a big rear end download all at once for everyone. Just how Steam works.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Clarste posted:

If there are server issues you can play offline mode. It really only matters for people making plans to play with friends (like me).

I'm a little sus on this to a bit - there's still some authentication bit that's on their side, because right now even though the game is down, you can't play in offline, unless you had logged in and not closed the game before the servers were taken down.

So like, nowhere near as bad zone servers, but there's *something* there for auth'ing offline mode that's on their side.

Edit: v--- Oh that's cool! Didn't hear that.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 21, 2024

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
If you like free cosmetics, they're doing twitch drops starting on Thursday, one a day for four days, then repeating the four. https://twitch.lastepoch.com/

Kind of weird, most people would do like a 1 to 4 hour reward on launch, looks like they're trying to do more of a sustained drop schedule.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Judd on Discord:

quote:

150k CCU and the initial burst of volume has our matchmaking services experiencing some issues that we're quickly working to rectify. We're in the war room with our backend team and service providers turning all the dials and knobs as quickly as we can.
We've just deployed Steam launch arguments that will allow people to boot the game in full offline mode when clicking Play from the Steam library. That will require a Steam client restart to access.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Lol, Ghazzy and his group are all stuck in the first zone, so they're playing hide and seek.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I wonder how numbers will look once people start getting off work. Like, will the people quitting for a bit by then offset those coming home hopping on? Or will it shoot even higher?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah it's almost like it's really hard or something.

Although...is this a "live services" game?

Yes. They're gonna have seasons (called Cycles) and such. New endgame stuff will be coming, then eventually cycle-specific content once the base game is where they want it. They still have 3 acts of the campaign to finish too, heh.

I didn't think it'd go as smooth as they thought it would, but I didn't think that 2 hours later most people still wouldn't be able to play, lol.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Discord posted:

Stability is improving but we're nervous to say we're in the clear yet. We're still monitoring and looking for ways to ensure stability maintains

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Edit: done, ty!

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 22, 2024

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Got done with dinner, did 2 zones, back to not loading anymore, heh.

They should've had some open beta tests or something to try to stress stuff more. Hopefully they have it ironed out by the weekend. I feel sorry for their devs!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Judd posted:

Hey everyone, wanting to give another update here. We are seeing server-connections improve from where they were earlier but they're still spotty. We're hard at work on improving the online experience and eliminating the errors that are still cropping up (Like LE-61). I just want to say that I sincerely apologize for anyone who was really looking forward to playing online today without issues. We sincerely thought we were over-prepared and today would go differently, but it's always something that you don't expect.

We will continue to improve stability tonight and throughout the week to ensure that you guys are able to play without the frustration. For those wanting to avoid the online issues for now the full-offline mode is available when launching the game.

We'll have a post-mortem to explain what happened, and I know the community team is getting ready to announce a thank you item for everyone's patience, and for helping to keep the positivity high. We are a studio that wants to always respect your time and again I want to apologize for the issues. We're very happy to see that so many of you are excited to play and will continue to push hard to make your support of the game and studio worth it.

Appreciate you all

mrbass21 posted:

Gotcha.

Mines: Keywork

Thank you!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Free cloak incoming to everyone.

quote:

Travelers,

Thank you so much for your incredible patience as we work hard to address the ongoing issues. Your support means the world to us!

To express our heartfelt gratitude for your patience, we’re delighted to present you with a unique token of appreciation – a complimentary in-game gift for your characters: The Autumnal Wrap back-slot item. We can’t thank you enough for the love and support you have shown thus far. Anyone who owns a copy of Last Epoch while we are still solving our scaling connectivity issues will automatically be awarded the Autumnal Wrap.

Thank you once again to those who continue to support us, sending us your positive messages, and continuing to spread that positivity while we continue the work on getting more servers up and running.

Nice gesture, not that I think it looks that great.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The steam review bombs have started :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Real shame to see this game get review-bombed over a lovely online server launch, when it's the only other ARPG in the genre really pushing the genre forward (PoE being the other).

The monetization is totally fine to the point no one even discusses it, the trade factions are excellent and actually made PoE2 have "buy it now", the game does away with a lot of annoyance from other market leaders (inventory management isn't a chore, stash tabs are plentiful, loot filtering is easy and baked in, the in-game help system is awesome), the game has a nice balance of "you're making some character choices" while still encouraging experimenting, and just on and on.

There's also a good bit of new stuff since I last played - this "weaver" stuff and experimental items are new to me. And I just used the in-game help to learn what they were.

I feel empathy for the dev team who I'm sure are beyond stressed and working like mad, just for Grr Angry Internet to poo poo all over it because it has a few days of rough spots from technical issues.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 22, 2024