Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I stalled out on that Lagon fight and had to do echoes to level up some before I could get through the tentacle phase. What a pain in the rear end fight, but it got me to finally stop ignoring resists.

I'd really like an ARPG where it's not mandatory to cap your resists. Especially when there are so many of them. At least this game is a little better than Grim Dawn on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Actually LE is that game. Resistances work differently here and it’s an explicit design goal of the devs to make completely capping them optional. All enemies in LE get passive resist penetration per level, so by end game, capped resistance means you take the base damage a monster deals instead of 75% less. The result is that going from 50% to 75% resistance means a 25% increase in effective hp, not a 100% increase like in other arpgs. Resistances are still the cheapest and most readily accessible layer of defense and are the first to get heavy investment for most builds, but if you’ve got a really good source of another defensive layer on your build, you can focus on that first. Like all arpgs, though, at some point you have to start prioritizing defense over offense, that’s just an inevitable part of the strategic level of these games.

Oh that's really refreshing. I'm liking this game more and more all the time.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I just respecced after hitting 70 and my skills were back to level 18 before I hit 71. Didn't seem too punishing, really. It does suck a lot more at low levels, I'm sure.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
If you hit the A key, your pets will go to your cursor. Helps a lot, and I don't remember the game telling me that.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I put over a hundred hours into this like a year ago, then put it away to wait for the multiplayer. Don't know why I thought that, though, since all my gaming buds had kids and stopped gaming, and I'm almost allergic to playing with randos. Still happy to see the game chugging along, and people excited to play it.

I'd like to dust off the ol' install and see what's new, but won't have time after work today, or tomorrow, or Saturday, and oh god, I didn't even have kids but somehow became too busy to game anyway.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I put about 120 hours into this back in January of '22, turns out. Decided to fire it up again yesterday to see what's new and stayed up until 3, knowing I had to be up at 6. The game's great. Seeing more people who'd planned on playing Diablo 4 switch over to this would bring my heart joy. They deserve it.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
None of my friends play this kind of game so I haven't bothered playing online yet, but yeah, with that not working, a bunch of new eyes on the game suddenly might not be best for them.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

A Moose posted:

Is there a way to filter idol affixes? Like if I don't care about resists 10% or below?

I don't know, but I'm starting to get annoyed whenever I see a shrine of worship because I know that my brain won't let me move on until I've inspected every idol and picked up the ones with good rolls. Just totally stops my flow.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

A Moose posted:

what's a really dumb build for dumb people that just works and can clear like 200 corruption? Right now I'm using that wraithlord build but its kinda boring.

Exploding Totem Shaman is a powerful "hold down right click to clear the screen" build. Haven't taken it to 200 corruption yet, though.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
As far as I understand, if a skill has the void tag, it'll get the bonus from void damage, whether the skill melee or not, so all three of those bonuses should apply to sklls with both the melee and void tags. It would not benefit from a bonus to spell void damage, though.

If a bonus has multiple tags, the skill needs to have all of those tags to benefit from it.

IDK, I could be wrong. I didn't get through the video because the beginning was all stuff I thought was pretty obvious and didn't want to watch 15 more minutes of it.

e: I suppose the takeaway is that while all three of those bonuses would apply, they'd first all get added together into a single increased % multiplier, whereas finding bonuses that say "more damage" instead of "increased" remain their own multiplier. The tooltips say this.

So let's say you're looking at a choice between two bonuses: a +30% increased damage, or a 10% more damage. The 30% one looks bigger, but if your increased damage multiplier is already above 300%, the extra 30% would represent less than a 10% increase, so the 10% more damage bonus would give a bigger boost in this case.

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 12, 2024

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I decided to go all turbonerd on this one, and have been collecting data on every echo I run. Just how much xp I had when I enter and when I leave, how much time I spend in there, the echo level and corruption level, map name, and whether or not I completed it.

I wonder why I'm bothering to do this. It takes some time to take all those notes and set a timer every echo, but whatever.

I see a lot of people complaining about arena maps taking too long, but when I looked at my average times in maps with 'arena' in the name vs maps without it, it's 126 seconds vs 119. Not much off. That could just mean I'm taking too long to do echos, though, not necessarily that people be trippin'. The average xp per second in arena maps is a lot better, though. 1761 vs 987.

I have new character syndrome, so I'm focused on leveling and haven't done any high corruption stuff.

Anyway, have some charts. Sorry I didn't title them.

Here, each dot is a particular map. The xp per second and time values are the averages for each map. Red are arenas, blue are not.

Here is the number of times and echo has yielded a particular xp per second range. Same color coding.

And here each dot is a particular echo run. The color represents which character I was playing.

This one I just wanted to include to show off my sick character names, and it's related to something I said a couple posts down.

Yeah, I don't know how useful this'll be, but we all have fun our own ways.

I wish I could also track things like which shrines and enemies I encountered, starting/ending gold and crafting mat totals, etc. but that would be ridiculous.

I'm challenging myself next cycle to stick to only one character, and to get rid of every piece of loot I find that that character can't use. Maybe this data will help me pick a build.

e: just added the fourth figure.

skeletronics fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
The dots above 2000 xp/sec mean in descending order are Rustlands Arena, Sanctuary Arena, Woodland Arena, Burned Fields, and Sealed Archives.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean a whole lot since the xp per second varies so much from 58 to 100, and the fact that I've only run into most maps a handful of times anywhere throughout that spread, I really just don't have enough data. If a map only appears in a later monolith, it's going to show up higher on this list. If I ever take a character or two through each empowered mono at least once, then looking at just the level 100 data could be interesting. I'll probably just keep making new characters, though.