Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't really care for the autobomber playstyle, because I'm not a fan of autocast builds in general. Also I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with reversal. I found a forge guard minion build that seems alright that I'm going to level another sentinel up to.

I've played GD, D3 and PoE significantly into endgame, and it's interesting to see what LE is taking from those (and what it's not). In pretty much every season of every ARPG I've ever played, there's been a WW/spin-to-win build that's viable. The issue is that the keystone skill of the build usually doesn't show up until mid game, so you spend the first 20-40 levels using some crappy leveling build before you get to play the fun, effective build. So imagine my shock when the loving first skill you unlock for Sentinel is whirlwind. The first skill you get for acolyte is summon skele - and you can summon 3 immediately! Giving you good skills up front instead of requiring you to wait until mid/end game for fun builds is a great design choice. Also love the way they handle crafting materials in this one, I was trying to figure out how I was gonna set up my stash to organize them when I saw a "transfer all mats" button on my inventory. And away they went, autosorted into an infinite bag of holding that I never have to think about. There's a lot of little things like that that are persistent small hassles in the other ARPGs that they just don't make you do in LE and it's revelatory.

I don't love the respec system, I tend to like to gently caress around with different builds and it's just brutal to lose all that progress if you want to swap up a skill when you haven't built up a minimum level yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dunno haven't tried it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYej2yZCCKM

I wanted a spin build that didn't use orbs or anomaly or reversal and this is what I found.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are the good sorc/SB builds right now and is there one specialization you'd recommend over the other

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The build planner that everyone uses can auto generate loot filters but I dunno how good they are. They are fast!

I have a level 53 shadowdancer that melts everything, I just rolled the first monolith no problem, is there a reason to continue the quest line (other than the gripping, compelling narrative of course)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It tells you on the map screen if you have all the extra passive points and idol slots unlocked (I do)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's a good druid leveling build pre-Bhaldur's wrath

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sweetgrass posted:

Druid mastery with a werebear focus is powerful and tanky; specialize swipe and warcry (going down the beserker path on the lower right and the hp regen talents on the lower left) early, rush the rage decay reduction points in the werebear tree and mastery passives, and grab summon spriggan as your companion since it gives you a bunch of flat hp regen and damage reflect early, plus global flat crit chance and crit avoidance.

You wind up with near fully capped endurance percentage that kicks in at a high heath, 100% werebear uptime, warcry sheds all aliments when you use it, high dps; you name it, you got it, only thing you need to supply is a decent two hander for dps.

Dope thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I get the idea of wanting people to have some investment in a character/build, but I still think that LE is too punishing in that regard. Especially while leveling, you want me to experiment with different builds, don't completely hamstring me if I want to change some things up. Even in PoE you only have to level up a skill gem once.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Werebear kicks so much rear end and I love that they give it to you as your first Druid skill. (Also, it's the first class I've played where you aren't making any real tradeoffs for playing with a controller :thumbsup: ) Just loving hulking out with huge satisfying swipes and smashes.

That's another front-loading decision that EHG made regarding progression. Your key transformation is a skill you would get at the end of the leveling process in D3 or PoE, and so you'd have to play a build that sucked for like 20 hours before it got fun. Another, unrelated, smart decision was having you finish the progression leveling in endgame content, all ARPGs are a race to the endgame and the devs were like "what if we made it start at the midgame".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I keep making alts and respeccing so I've tried out 15 or so different builds, and I can't find a good ranged build/class. what do you guys like, especially for sorc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This isn't me but the exact same thing happened to me.

quote:

Currently at Rahyeh’s Warpath. Last night I was in the chamber. Quest direction is to explore and leave the chamber.

Logged for the night. Come back today and I’ve spawned in The End of Time. There is no easily found waypoint to return to the chamber.

I am now stuck unable to complete the quest.

Any ideas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

These weird delays in fast travel and long loading times are kiling me, is there any reason at all to play online

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raxx was probably the premiere D3 youtube guy and he is absolutely gushing in the review and promising loads of content, its good news for LE.

But are they planning on going to 1.0 before they implement the last two masteries?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdgvJufKDnU

Asmo put a (very positive) reaction to that video on his channel and is "planning on playing it". I wouldn't say he's my cup of tea but he's one of the biggest streamers out there so just putting more eyes on Raxx's video is probably going to bring in an ungodly amount of new players.

And jsut for the recursive absurdity of it, here's Aaron reacting to Asmo reacting to Raxx reacting to Last Epoch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbmW6-JvcDc

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah IDK how it’s gonna be ready for release in 2 mos, it needs a lot of polish

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do you ever get to 100% uptime for reaper form?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is the best lich build in y'alls opinion? I'm running a Hungering Souls build which absolutely destroys but I'm not super keen on the double major cooldown gameplay

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say nothing touches my shadow dagger SD for damage, it is by far the most powerful class out of the 6 or so I've leveled into monos

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One thing I really don't like about paladin, or any sentinel builds, is that you have to keep up 5 stacks of Sigils of Hope, but every sigil is on it's own timer, so refreshing it once doesn't refresh the stack, you have to refresh it five times. Besides being tedious its also a major mana issue. I also don't like how Holy Aura and Volatile Reversal (which I hate) are mandatory for all builds.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 9, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm playing the new D4 season and man I wish I could have exactly LE's skill, crafting, and itemization systems in this engine

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Basically everything yeah, except combat, art design, and like, general competency. Blizzard fucks poo poo up a lot but even so it's not nearly as janky as LE

LE nails that sweet spot inbetween d4 and PoE, I don't know how big that niche is but it's where I get the most challenge without feeling lost. I'm glad they pushed the release back and now that they've broken the seal on a "this calendar year" release, maybe they'll be more willing to push it back if they need to in the future. Maybe they can deliver a pretty much complete and optimized game in February, but I'd probably take the under.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 21, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the advantage to 1.0 vs just staying in EA?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wrong thread lol

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 31, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, since they're a small company I don't get why they're pushing for 1.0 so hard when they aren't close on major features.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

The story/campaign won't even be finished when 1.0 is launched.

2 classes too!

I really like this game, I think it could have some legs but not if they gently caress the release.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They are, but I'm not optimistic about where those classes are going to be with zero beta testing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tarnop posted:

I'd be worried if the runemaster was bad but it was great

Runemaster is so good it makes me worried about all the other classes lol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anno posted:

Yeah this is my actual worry about classes. I know this stuff is to be expected, that developers and tools get better with years of work and so often make cooler and cooler stuff, but man does Runemaster make some of the older classes feel bad to play lol.

Shortly after runemaster came out, I remember watching one of the major content creators talk about how RM is great, but it's what sorceror should be, and with RM there is no reason to roll a sorc. I will cope if Warlock/Falconer kill the other Acolyte/Rogue masteries, but it seems to me that a full overhaul is going to be needed for existing classes to bring them up to standards. (they should start with getting rid of volatile reversal)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's funny that they don't have a campaign skip option after you beat it once considering the monolith system would be an excellent way to level a character.

Every time I get to that part where you have to activate the stairs in the temple by hitting two switches in the past I groan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh wow Ziz put out a glowing rec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dkfuHO9EIY

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Patch Notes 1.01

-tightened falcon gyre
-falcon can now hear the falconer

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab669 posted:

The what

There's a big statue you have to fight. Twice.

It's probably oversimplified but I don't think it's too far off to say that LE is halfway between PoE and Diablo as far as mechanic and skill depth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's baffling to me that both PoE and LE, which have endgame systems that would be easily adaptable all the way down to brand new characters, don't allow you to skip the campaign after you've beaten it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait how do you skip the campaign in LE? I know you can start monos before you finish if you level high enough, is there a full campaign skip option now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Traxis posted:

You can partially skip chunks of the campaign by completing optional dungeons (if you actually get the keys to drop) https://www.icy-veins.com/last-epoch/campaign-skip

Oh I've seen those keys, I thought they were an endgame thing lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No trade for me, I enjoy getting drops more than I like shopping.

e: also the crafting system is so good I think it will mitigate a lot of the RNG that plagues SSF

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 13, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shadski posted:

Class / build recommendations for controller play. I just wanna chill with my steam deck and smash/shoot/spell monsters.

Swarmblade druid and Shadow Dagger bladdancer Swarmblade is literally a 2 button build.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My general impression/opinoins of the classes and masteries for anyone who cares, hopefully this might help someone narrow it down. I haven't played them all but I'm an altoholic so I've levelled a bunch into mid monos at least

Sentinel: I don't like this class for any of the masteries because it has the same problem as barb in D4 in that you have three mandatory buff spells across all the viable builds. Chief among these is volatile reversal, which resets your mana, health, and buffs to what they were two seconds before. I hate snapshotting mechanics. Still, there are some very powerful builds here.

Rogue: Shadowdagger blade master is strong as hell. It's mobile, and you leave vortexes of death that just melt content. I've barely played any marksman but unless you just have to play a bow class I don't see any reason to roll MM over blademaster. SDBM was also my fastest and easiest leveling experience.

Mage: As it stands, roll runemaster or nothing. Spellblade is consistently an underperforming class and sorceror is just a shittier runemaster. Runemaster is such an interesting, unique (and strong) class that it behooves you to pick this mastery over the others

Acolyte: Lots of variety for necro, but some of the most powerful builds require you to cast spells on your minions, which isn't possible with a controller. Better than a D4 minion necro, anyway. (I'm not a huge fan of minion builds in general so) Lich is going to depend on how much you like using a long cooldown at low life as most builds are built around Death Seal (which gives you more power the less health you have) and a 20s CD Reaper Form. As you get later it's easier to maintain uptime (not sure if you can ever get to 100% though) but in the early goings you're spending half the time as a weak caster running away from guys while you wait for your Reaper form to come off CD.

Primalist: Shaman is a joke, the mastery needs a complete overhaul. Beastmaster isn't as bad but it isn't good either. Druid is a very strong class, but the top builds play extremely similar to a D4 pulverize druid.

I've not played any of the two new classes so I'm going to roll one of those (and then the other shortly after probably) but given how far ahead of the other classes Runemaster is, I'm expecting that these two masteries will be the standouts in their class at launch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Clarste posted:

New dev blog about Healing Hands skill tree. To be honest, I have to wonder if they're going too far almost? The skill itself is completely unrecognizable.

What does this have to do with Diablo 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mailer posted:

I assume Last Epoch doesn't have D3's speed but how long would I expect to grind through stuff until I had the uniques/skills/etc for a given build that could start the endgame progression loop?

The in-game buff/nerf cycle doesn't map directly to the cosmetics, but they heavily inform on the game's design. Everyone has to deal with Blizzard's not-quite-an-MMO systems whether or not they like paying money to dress up their character. You shouldn't avoid D4 because of that, though. You should avoid D4 because promising to look at fixing loot in a full-price title entirely about loot nine months after release is hilarious.

I have no idea if day one launch LE is going to be a dumpster fire, either for solo or multiplayer, but from everything I've seen/read it has functioning loot and a game loop that isn't tearing itself apart trying to be multiple conflicting things at once.

Your first run? No more than 8 hours.