Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Brexit happen by 31 October 2019?
This poll is closed.
Yes - We'll fall out no deal in June 51 6.98%
Yes - Some kind of deal will be in place by October 26 3.56%
Yes - Technical Brexit (EU Flag has a gold fringe) 29 3.97%
No - There'll be a general election 77 10.53%
No - There'll be a #PeoplesVote 27 3.69%
No - Queen's dugs will stop it 11 1.50%
Other - Bah Gawd is that Sinn Fein's Music? 93 12.72%
gently caress Knows 264 36.11%
Piss Flaps 153 20.93%
Total: 731 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Dead Goon posted:

I had to Google.

Thanks for the new word.

Bit weird you had to google what "mash" meant, but whatever.

As to what I'm having for dinner, I have a sudden primal urge for egg and chips - possibly I've been a bit too middle class of late and my soul is trying to rebalance.

e: I object to sniping now it's the cool thing to do but I've been waiting for an excuse to show off my new cat for a week, so here he is with bonus "He's behind me, isn't he?" look from my dog.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Oh cheer up comrades, we might get obliterated by meteorites first

looks to the sky with hope

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

throw dried chili flakes in there
This is the most Correct ronya post. Chili flakes are good and mash can do with a little kick.

Chili flakes and thyme are also good as a coat to roast parsnips or roast tats in.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Mustard mash
Garlic mash

He did the mash!
He did the ... mustard mash... (?) :confused:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

jabby posted:

It's looking increasingly likely that a new PM will call a GE to get backing for No Deal.

Based on what? I can't imagine the likes of BoJo would worry, they'd use No Deal as a way to get backing for a GE if anything.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1047839091826593793

This is probably my most-used political tweet of the last year.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DesperateDan posted:

Then everything would be mash *holds jar of chili flakes*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bit weird you had to google what "mash" meant, but whatever.

As to what I'm having for dinner, I have a sudden primal urge for egg and chips - possibly I've been a bit too middle class of late and my soul is trying to rebalance.

e: I object to sniping now it's the cool thing to do but I've been waiting for an excuse to show off my new cat for a week, so here he is with bonus "He's behind me, isn't he?" look from my dog.

Maybe they're from somewhere where grits are the preferred alternative. Which are also often places with a history of talk about miscegenation. :vuvu: :heritage:

Nice catte :3:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if I could get money for a startup that broadcasts people's tweets into space with a really big radio dish.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if I could get money for a startup that broadcasts people's tweets into space with a really big radio dish.

To keep aliens away?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mostly just to make me rich tbh. Seems like something a bunch of people with too much money would pay me to do.

Also I personally subscribe to the ocean floor model of why space is silent.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

jabby posted:

It's looking increasingly likely that a new PM will call a GE to get backing for No Deal.

pretty sure the new PM doesn't need a GE to get a NDB. they literally have to do nothing and crash out on October 31st.

Regarde Aduck posted:

A portion of the thread have become a brexit death cult where they think it's bad but it must be appeased lest it devour the universe. Or something. And yeah they think destroying Labour's chances is worth it.

are Labour's chances only destroyed if they try to get both leave and remain voters back on board, rather than just remainers, and what proof do you have of this?

seizure later fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 31, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Mostly just to make me rich tbh. Seems like something a bunch of people with too much money would pay me to do.

I can imagine plenty of tech bros thinking their mighty intellect needs to be tweeted into space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Exactly, really there are only two problems. 1, elon musk would buy me out. 2. I don't have a radio telescope array.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Personally I'm a big fan of mash based miscegenation.And yes a nice whack of Dijon too

Miscegenation? I thought mash was abortion of chips.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely mashcegenation is when you mix sweet and normal potato?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

OwlFancier posted:

2. I don't have a radio telescope array.
I've got a big dish you can use, just send me the tweets & 10% of your takings, I'll take care of it.

I can serve crisps in something else for a while.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

Exactly, really there are only two problems. 1, elon musk would buy me out. 2. I don't have a radio telescope array.
The first problem seems to solve the second?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they're from somewhere where grits are the preferred alternative. Which are also often places with a history of talk about miscegenation. :vuvu: :heritage:

I'm not, but my wife is a black woman from Mississippi. So, yeah, 50 years or so ago we'd have been doing a crime :heritage:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Seems only fair you should have Goonhilly.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

don't hesitate to ask just how hot the chili is, there's tons of niche chilis and it's impossible to keep them all straight. but the big unspecified-variety packs meant for home cooking are probably a good bet for "spicy but not so hot that you can't taste anything else". about lower-end-habanero-hot in Mexican terms

e: also, flakes are better for just seasoning. For one, mouthfeel. For another, if a particular mouthful is just too bland you can start biting into the seeds to liven it up a little. That way one doesn't risk overwhelming all the other flavours.

Right but chili powder you buy in like sainsbury's isn't just chili, of any heat.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251994901

'Mild chilli powder a blend of chillies, cumin, garlic and oregano.
MELLOW & EARTHY'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

feedmegin posted:

Right but chili powder you buy in like sainsbury's isn't just chili, of any heat.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/251994901

'Mild chilli powder a blend of chillies, cumin, garlic and oregano.
MELLOW & EARTHY'

I'm not eating it if somebody's cumin it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't heard this one, explain!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

jabby posted:

If you don't think Labour should go into that election backing a second referendum in all circumstances, what do you think the policy should be?

Quoting both because the same answer applies here. I think Labour should have that policy, definitely in time for a snap GE. But should they adopt it immediately? How will that play out? What if they wait until after the Tory leadership is decided?

mediadave posted:

Basically what Darth Walrus said, but:

b) Labours vote is indisputably getting squeezed from both sides, but 1) there are a lot more remain voters to lose and 2) it looks like the leave votes have already been lost. Changing Brexit policy/making it more explicit (and I don't actually think Labour needs to go full FBPE) will at least win back some lib defectors or at least halt/slow the slide.

c) through e) I don't think anyone on Labour's side needs to believe a second referendum will happen. But having seen as having fought for one will only be good for Labour once Brexit does happen.

Just because there are more Labour remainers doesn't necessarily imply that they will all abandon the party in favour of austerity-happy Lib Dems though. If you assume that Brexit is going to happen anyway, what happens if Labour's hard Remain stance wins them votes from the Lib Dems in cities where they were going to win anyway, but loses them votes to the Tories in target seats, leaving the Tories with more seats in the end? What makes you think your prediction is more likely?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Finally, I was gonna call twisto out about this "cat" nice cat

Also the thing about a referendum, not only does Labour need to appear to have acted in good faith over the original referendum (and this doesn't mean everyone slapping Corbyn on the back going "excellent thanks for all your hard work the outcome doesn't matter"), they also need a second referendum to have a point. If you just ask Leave/Remain again it's literally a do-over that will anger a lot of people, and alienate those Remain supporters who think it's undemocratic behaviour

There's a very good chance Remain could lose again, since the People's Vote campaign seems to have done absolutely gently caress all in terms of building a case for staying in. Like this is a chance to rerun 2016, learning from the mistakes, and actually selling the EU in a way that resonates with all those people who voted Leave last time. And they should have been running this election campaign from the beginning. Seems more like they just assume everyone has had second thoughts and they'll just naturally win, y'know, like they thought last time, dooo do dooo dooooo

Making a second referendum a choice between Remain and An Actual Deal avoids those issues about as much as you possibly could - you can argue it's not asking the same question again, it's giving people a very specific plan of action and saying, do you want us to do this? It's arguably a democratic thing to do since the original question was so open ended like some kind of monkey paw wish. And that's the other thing - Leave meant whatever the hell you wanted it to mean, everyone was spinning fairy tales (and still are now), it's an easy thing to vote for if you believe it will all be great as hell and the dawn of a new golden age. There were no stakes, and the same is true if you just rerun Leave/Remain - people can believe in whatever possibilities they like

But if you have an actual, concrete proposal on the table (which includes No Deal) that's a specific future you're voting for. You have to be willing to take that particular path, to say "yeah this is good" - and making it a confirmatory referendum means you can't hide behind "oh the politicians caused this, they made a bad decision!" If the public votes to leave with no deal, the public is responsible for what happens. And a lot of people will think twice when they have that responsibility. Not everyone, but maybe enough

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
So somewhere I used to go regularly on holiday has had one of the local car parks (one of 2-3 in a largish village) taken over from the council by one of the various
three-letter parking firms who've put up an ANPR camera and have started ticketing locals for £100 a pop. I might be potentially considering an act of civil disobedience to stop this from happening, is there a better option than a ladder and a can of spray paint on a moonless night?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Finland has some ideas, but they might get you in trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPls1dyqy8

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Finland has some ideas, but they might get you in trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epPls1dyqy8

sadly even if I could get hold of high explosives there's a military base just down the road so it might not go over too well

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's a great place to get them if you make some friends there.

Obvious alternative to requiring a ladder is a paintball gun.

Plank Sanction
Nov 3, 2016

Who invented the skip?

Julio Cruz posted:

So somewhere I used to go regularly on holiday has had one of the local car parks (one of 2-3 in a largish village) taken over from the council by one of the various
three-letter parking firms who've put up an ANPR camera and have started ticketing locals for £100 a pop. I might be potentially considering an act of civil disobedience to stop this from happening, is there a better option than a ladder and a can of spray paint on a moonless night?

If it has a hole in it you can fill it with expanding foam and watch it spectacularly burst.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Making a second referendum a choice between Remain and An Actual Deal avoids those issues about as much as you possibly could - you can argue it's not asking the same question again, it's giving people a very specific plan of action and saying, do you want us to do this? It's arguably a democratic thing to do since the original question was so open ended like some kind of monkey paw wish.

Absolutely. A second referendum can't be allowed to be no deal vs remain, because a) that's the same everything for everyone nonsense that got us into this mess and b) no deal really could win.

Labour arguing for a reasonable - or at least on the table - deal vs remain is not only a reasonable position, it's also a good wedge issue to use against those dumb shits in the lib dems and change arguing for no deal vs remain.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^ just to be clear, that's still explicit Labour policy you're advocating for

NZAmoeba posted:

https://xkcd.com/1377/

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 31, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

If you look at the ocean floor and don't see anything alive, is that because there isn't anything living there, or because the things that do live there are hiding?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

mediadave posted:

Absolutely. A second referendum can't be allowed to be no deal vs remain, because a) that's the same everything for everyone nonsense that got us into this mess and b) no deal really could win.

Labour arguing for a reasonable - or at least on the table - deal vs remain is not only a reasonable position, it's also a good wedge issue to use against those dumb shits in the lib dems and change arguing for no deal vs remain.

Well like I said No Deal is technically a deal (just a blank sheet of paper, or No dEAL iS bEtTer THAn A bAd dEaL scratched into it over and over). And by putting it on the referendum you're saying this, this is brexit. Is this really what you want to do? It's not gonna work out great in some other way, this is it

It's completely different to an open ended, whatever-you-wish-for brexit where everyone gets to imagine their preferred outcome. Plus with a final plan on the table, maybe the conversation can get to what that will actually entail instead of having endless Tories on the BBC going "oh the EU will give us whatever we want" and spinning off fantasy scenarios. I mean the media discussion about what no deal means should have been happening a long time ago, but at least it would provide focus

goatkcd wins again

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 31, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
lol if you think that media discussion of No Deal will be anything other than economists on one side, Farage and Boris on the other, and the BBC in the middle saying "well both sides make good points"

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Borrovan posted:

e: ^^^ just to be clear, that's still explicit Labour policy you're advocating for

Well, all I can say is then I hope this is consistent from here on out and isn't muddied again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

How disobedient are you feeling? Purely theoretically of course and based on no more than internet bullshit but paint is easy to spot and easy to clean, but allegedly hairspray over the lens will completely defeat the ANPR while being basically impossible to diagnose and, arguably, not meeting the bar of criminal damage.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mediadave posted:

Well, all I can say is then I hope this is consistent from here on out and isn't muddied again.

the fact that it's muddied at all is entirely down to the media rather than Labour

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

https://xkcd.com/1377/

Definitely starting to believe that he's deliberately drawing some of them to work with Goatkcd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

baka kaba posted:

But if you have an actual, concrete proposal on the table (which includes No Deal)

Excellent policy and analysis, assuming only the existence of a Labour-Tory grand coalition dedicated to delivering a soft Brexit.

Labour is not in office, and short of an unlikely Leftist military coup that means there is a election to be won before any policy can be enacted.

That election will be either before or after Brexit, probably the latter. Either way, the legitimacy or otherwise of an advisory poll a few years back is not in the list of top 1000 relevant factors. Focus your attention on how to win either of those elections. Take a look for yourself at the evidence of the non-general elections and polls. Listen to all the anecdotes in this thread saying ‘why are all my idiot friends and colleagues failing to see the beauty of Labour’s elegantly crafted compromise’.

If you do so, I am pretty confident you will come to the conclusion that it is time to leave Brexit behind us.

For bonus points, try do to this _before_ the LDs realise ‘if most of our voters are leftists, we should probably stop being centrist shits’.