Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

talk about black holes and grizzly bears and poo poo

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

and you know what the Shire did when the ultra-rich sorcerer brought his boys in? :getin:

Happily took Peter Thiel’s money?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah, and the Standard Bearer for the Succ Dems has been faithfully heralding his candidacy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a539_story.html

As of right now, this election is Trump’s to lose and if it ends up being another Boomer centrist that ends up giving him the win I’ll never vote for another Democrat born before 1975.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

I experience enough hosed up poo poo on the regular, I don't need to go looking for it.

On that note, here’s a link from the Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma that talks about how to handle viewing traumatic content.

https://dartcenter.org/resources/handling-traumatic-imagery-developing-standard-operating-procedure

These are generally very good tips. At my old job, where I had to watch all of the Islamic State’s propaganda and execution videos, a lot of this was helpful in muting the psychological impact of this stuff.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I used to work for a private sector risk management firm as an intel analyst. Sometimes IS would make very specific threats in their videos, and part of my job entailed looking at client exposure, etc. One example- IS put out a video that showed the residences of Jordanian fighter pilots, complete with addresses and even lat/long, of their homes. A lot were in Amman, so I had to reference these locations against assets/areas of interest. Some of their combat videos also marked the transition between when the last of the old guard got killed and the dawn of the Abu Hajaar types.

There were days when I gave serious thought to becoming Caro 2.0 for the YPG, albeit with much less schizophrenia and narcissism.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/geekwire/status/1125417297525395456

Yet another day in the Hellfucker 2019 dimension.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

colachute posted:

What does your heart tell you

Sometimes you’ve just got to shake it off and seize your moments as they come.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The juvenile shooter at the stem school was a girl.

That's a little different.

From this article:

quote:

Multiple sources close to the investigation told Denver7 late Tuesday night that the second suspect, who is a minor, is a transgender male who was in the midst of transitioning from female to male.

The sources said that the motive of the alleged shooters went beyond bullying and involved revenge and anger towards others at the school and that at least one of the suspects was involved in legal and illegal drug use and had been in therapy.

Surely this won’t stigmatize being transgender or seeking mental health care any further, nope nope nope :allears:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I don’t think I’ve seen this discussed here, but there’s a new podcast out called It Could Happen Here about what a second American civil war could look like, and how one could start. The author/narrator spent time in Ukraine during their revolution and Iraq during the battle of Mosul and shares his observations in the context of American society. At times, he may oversell his case slightly, but when he dips into technical and tactical things that he observed, that’s when the podcast gets super interesting.

It obviously has a left bias, but he does try to explain how he sees the American left becoming potentially more radical and violent (even going so far as to reference guillotines!) That said, the anecdotes and quotes he shares about the alt and religious right are pretty :stare:.

I leave each episode feeling like I just got done watching Children of Men. It’s worth a listen, just make sure you’re in a good headspace before doing so.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Trump is pissed at Bolton because his aggressive posture towards Venezuela hasn’t resulted in instant success like Trump would like. Although there’s a quote about how Bolton’s job is safe, that probably means he’s circling the drain right now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Gritty was not available for comment.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Giving the bride and groom a set of knives

:thurman: :drat: :vince:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Several months ago, an anonymous parent wrote an open letter to the STEM school administration, making allegations of sexual abuse, bullying and a toxic culture. They even went so far as to say the school could be the next Columbine.

The school’s response? To file a defamation lawsuit against “Jane Doe.”

https://www.news8000.com/news/national-news/district-urged-school-to-investigate-concerns-it-could-become-the-next-columbine/1076526704

Heads need to loving roll over this one. The administration at the school has blood on their hands.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Yeah this is a holy poo poo PR nightmare for Delta and rightfully loving so. If you go to the website listed in the posters, it’s severely condescending and full of exaggerated anti-union garbage. The parody ads are going to write themselves.

Edit: ^^^^ I rest my case

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

quote:

President Trump has effectively taken charge of the nation’s premier Fourth of July celebration in Washington, moving the gargantuan fireworks display from its usual spot on the Mall to be closer to the Potomac River and making tentative plans to address the nation from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, according to top administration officials.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.649289618810

Hahahahaha 4th of July in DC is going to suck so hard this year; so glad I’m going to be out of town for the suckfest.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

My North Face Recon backpack has been great for day to day usage and also for my overseas trips. One big pouch fits my laptop and iPad, and the smaller pouch to the rear holds a few granola bars, my FAK and other items in case something bad happens and I need to hunker down for a bit.

I had a Chrome messenger bag that lasted for well over ten years before it started to disintegrate, and the pack I replaced it with will likely have similar longevity.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Dum Cumpster posted:

Off topic thank you (I think) to whoever recommended the It Could Happen Here podcast. Off to buy more ammo!

No prob. Robert Evans also has another good podcast called Behind the Bastards which borrows/influences ICHH, but seems less serious in tone.

Also he has cordial twitter exchanges with Dan Carlin which sparks dreams of a crossover episode with Hardcore History.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Probably the unarmed pregnant black woman getting iced from a day or two ago.

Did she refuse to buy the new Adobe platform too?

Also eagerly awaiting a future where car manufacturers can take me to court for not upgrading to this year’s model.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Vasudus posted:

wonder how many idiots think that the iranians follow the traditional arab model of command and control not realizing that persians are not arabs

Or somehow think that Iran hasn’t been watching the US fight in rural and urban environments in two of its neighbors and taking close notes, or spent the early 2000s using Iraqi insurgent groups as their testers for weapons that can defeat US armor and countermeasures. Or doesn’t have a rich historical record and a coherent national identity stretching back thousands of years; no, the modern Iranian military and state is clearly built on a cult of personality surrounding Saddam Hussein Ayatollah, uh, What’s His Name and will clearly crumble once the symbols of his power come under attack and the veneer of invincibility is lifted.

It’s not that Grover’s predictions about Iraq were wrong, it’s that he was 16 years ahead of his time and thinking of Iran instead.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

There is no god

shame on an IGA posted:

lotta spook-4-hire planes loitering around the greater fayettenam region tonight

Routine :nsa: or is Operation Iranian Freedom about to kick off? WHO KNOWS WITH THIS ADMINISTRATION?!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

As long as we’ve got Trigger and the rest of the LRSSG in the air, we’ll be OK, even if the Arsenal Bird and its MQ-99s show up.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/jondotd/status/1130803463514992640

De Blasio finally reaching out and capturing that elusive suspenders and checkered Vans slip-ons vote; we’ll see if he can pick it up up for the rest of the vote as well.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1130631604475486208

Hey this seems normal and OK and presidential.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Just gonna leave this article from 10 loving years ago right here

https://harpers.org/archive/2009/05/jesus-killed-mohammed/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The perfect storm of several bad decisions in the most 2019 of stories. I had to check the article several times to make sure this wasn’t Florida:

Man Hiding Drugs in Butt Accidentally Shoots Himself in Testicles.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I work within a quarter mile of the White House and a mile of USNO and Jarvanka’s residence. Vas is gonna get the canned sunshine about a half second before me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Politico has this article about vets dealing with the fear of and actual stigmatization from the VA for being marijuana users. I know that jazz cigarettes are all the rage here but I’m wondering if anyone here has dealt with anything like this.

When MJ is eventually legal at the federal level, I anticipate all kinds of growing pains and bureaucratic headaches when agencies that had JUST SAY NO practically written into their policies suddenly have to readjust.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think once a marijuana banking bill passes through the congress, tucked in something Donnie wants, is when the real money will come out and it will be rescheduled within a year or two.

I just had a nightmarish thought of a bill passing to legalize weed and the immediate expungement of all possession/distribution cases with all the tax revenue going to fund the border wall.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Notable patriot and known haver of Good Judgement Representative Duncan Hunter defends Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher by admitting that that he committed one of the same war crimes that Gallagher did.

This case keeps getting creepier by the day, with a whole bunch of armchair patriots and retired SOF guys jumping on the JUSTICE FOR EDDIE bandwagon. Trump is also apparently considering pardoning him before his trial even wraps.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

i would love to be one of millions of people completely taken by surprise by this:

https://twitter.com/Jeres_Rant/status/1133514384548851712

imagine being no naive that everything is new to you

But please, I’m sure someone will write a pearl clutching op-ed to go on about how people confronting him and upsetting his wife when they dine out in public is somehow a bigger problem :nallears:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wrap it up Comeylures, Big Special President is 100% purestrain gold INNOCENT of NO COLLUSION, NO OBSTRUCTION!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1134092525218590721

The only conspiracy was by John Ratcliffe (R-TX 4) to obscure the fact that he has no balls, and hides in his office from Gold Star families.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...y-a7196786.html

If someone were to check Tony Perkin’s browser history, I’d wager a pretty penny that they would learn he was very interested in graphic depictions of males performing sexual acts with other males, and also that John Ratcliffe, a coward, is devoid of testicles (without balls, if you will).

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

No items, final solution

It really looks like they lightened Candace Owen’s skin tone in that photo. This is from her Facebook page:

Of course it’s Fox loving News so I wouldn’t put it past them to tweak her skin tone; for most of their viewers light and white = right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I don't have the time to collect my sources from poo poo I've been reading this week, but there's some insanely bad poo poo going on right now with global crops. There's been record crop failures in central/southern america this year due to climate issues. In the US, a huge amount of corn and soy hasn't been planted yet - and the insurance for those crops expires this month, as in today. The absolutely bonkers weather has caused record crop damage, crop failures, and just overall delays in production. Then you add in the fact that global trade has been hosed all year due to tariffs and things are gonna get real bad for people that can't afford to take the hit - on both the production and consumption side.

FAO estimates that we have roughly 60 years of topsoil (the stuff that crops are planted in) left before it erodes away, becomes too salty/depleted, etc. When you take this into the context of climate change and what joys that will bring, it is evident that we are living through the last good days this planet has.

I’m not trying to sound Malthusian here, but humans may be good at recognizing and dealing with acute threats but absolutely loving horrible at dealing with slow-moving ones. Think of the frog in the pot of water, except replace frog with “humanity” and pot of water with “the world’s oceans and resources.”

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/357059/icode/