Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play “Digimon Masters"

Digimon Masters is an MMORPG based on the Digimon anime. Specifically, it's based on Digimon: Data Squad, but also features characters and settings from the other seasons. You take the role of a D.A.T.S. agent, tasked with protecting the fragile relationships between humans and Digimon, as well as generally stopping anyone that tries to be an evil jerk.

So how does it play?

Well, it plays like an MMO. You click on an enemy, you select a skill from your hotbar, and then you perform an attack. The big difference here is that -of course- you have Digimon. Not just one, but as many as you can stomach to hatch. There are over 100 of them in total, each with unique animations and moves. The license is really what carries the game. Without the Digimon, it would be a perfectly average experience.

Why share it?

This game has been around for a whole decade, which is a long time for an MMO to still be running. I love the game personally, and I have no idea how much longer it'll stick around, so it's better to preserve it sooner rather than later. The commentary will be focused on information and critique, but will also draw attention to story elements and the Digimon universe itself, of course.

How do you know when the LP is “done”?

Good question! The answer, I guess, is when I run out of things I can reasonably do. I'm probably not going to be fighting any raid bosses, but there is a lot of content in this game, but there really isn't an endgame. Maybe we'll make one up ourselves.

And feel free to talk about the anime as much as you like. It's a game based on a show, after all. Maybe you'll get people interested in watching some of the less appreciated seasons.

Videos

Yokohama Village

Western Village

Outskirts

Many Bombs

Wasteland

The Rave

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I played this game for a couple of weeks. I really liked seeing all my favourite Digimon in 3D, and mainly was just looking for a good Digimon game. The environments are really nice and the combat system was simple but seemed good enough. Unfortunately you can really tell that it's a Korean MMO, being super grindy, with quests like "Kill 30 of these Digimon", then you do it and the next quest is the same, except now you're killing 50. Add to that with getting new Digimon being really hard (the fact that Digi Eggs can break is just yikes) and I lost motivation with the game. Then Digimon Cyber Sleuth came out and gave me the Digimon game I literally always wanted since I was a kid.

It's still not a bad use of time though, I don't regret the time I spent playing it at all. Worth a shot if you like MMOs/Digimon.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SoundwaveAU posted:

I played this game for a couple of weeks. I really liked seeing all my favourite Digimon in 3D, and mainly was just looking for a good Digimon game. The environments are really nice and the combat system was simple but seemed good enough. Unfortunately you can really tell that it's a Korean MMO, being super grindy, with quests like "Kill 30 of these Digimon", then you do it and the next quest is the same, except now you're killing 50. Add to that with getting new Digimon being really hard (the fact that Digi Eggs can break is just yikes) and I lost motivation with the game. Then Digimon Cyber Sleuth came out and gave me the Digimon game I literally always wanted since I was a kid.

It's still not a bad use of time though, I don't regret the time I spent playing it at all. Worth a shot if you like MMOs/Digimon.

I 100% agree with all of this. It's definitely not for everyone, and it's a pretty average Korean MMO. The biggest reason to play it is because of the branding.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'll commend Masters for giving less popular Digimon like the Legendary Warriors and forgotten ones like Gladimon love.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I'll commend Masters for giving less popular Digimon like the Legendary Warriors and forgotten ones like Gladimon love.

You can hatch a Gladimon and run around with it if you want, but I've seen exactly Negative Four people with a Gladimon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Probably because people Digivolve them into Knightmon and RhodoKnightmon quickly since those are the more popular stages of the line.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Probably because people Digivolve them into Knightmon and RhodoKnightmon quickly since those are the more popular stages of the line.

Knightmon has an adorably bulky design that I find appealing.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I am amused that Digimon's biggest MMO is based on the franchise's most underrated series.

Like I enjoyed every series for different reasons but Data Squad has my favorite female character Yoshino AKA Yoshi and I adore her partner Lalamon.

And yeah when you say Kurata is not a good man, he was one of the two main villains of Data Squad with the other being Yggdrasill or King Drasil as he is called in English media.

Also just to clarify, Drimogemon is a mole not a walrus. Walrus would be Ikkakumon.

Also I believe the reason for the complaints is because in most Digimon games, Digivolution is functionally permanent unless your Digimon either dies or you de-Digivolve it in the case of Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory where Digimon did not have lifespans.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 3, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I am amused that Digimon's biggest MMO is based on the franchise's most underrated series.

Like I enjoyed every series for different reasons but Data Squad has my favorite female character Yoshino AKA Yoshi and I adore her partner Lalamon.

And yeah when you say Kurata is not a good man, he was one of the two main villains of Data Squad with the other being Yggdrasill or King Drasil as he is called in English media.

Akihiro Kuarata is one of the only human villains in the series, if I recall.

I think Data Squad really deserved to be the standard set for all Digimon anime, and I wish it were better loved. It had a good blend of virtually every genre you could expect from it, and it made the conflicts between the Digital/Real worlds a lot more tangible. Genuine emotional struggles, relateable heroes. The good stuff. I think a lot of people watched the first few episodes and wrote it off as generic shonen.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The problem was that it was very different from Adventure which is and has always been the standard by which all other Digimon series in the anime are measured.

It didn't help that Marcus not only did not wear goggles which is staple for Digimon protagonists but seemed like he belonged in a different shonen anime altogether.

That said there are other settings that could work for a Digimon MMO if you wanted to look outside of the anime such as the various settings of the Digimon World series, most notably 2 with the three guard factions, 3 which was set in an in-universe MMO, or Next Order with the city of Floatia.

Hell, I'd personally like a setting that mixes classic with Fusion/Xros Wars since you have multiple zones to play around in. Maybe have Appmon helping out as Digivice upgrades providing new functions.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 3, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

The problem was that it was very different from Adventure which is and has always been the standard by which all other Digimon series in the anime are measured.

It didn't help that Marcus not only did not wear goggles which is staple for Digimon protagonists but seemed like he belonged in a different shonen anime altogether.

That said there are other settings that could work for a Digimon MMO if you wanted to look outside of the anime such as the various settings of the Digimon World series, most notably 2 with the three factions, 3 which was set in an in-universe MMO, or Next Order with the city of Floatia.

Hell, I'd personally like a setting that mixes classic with Fusion/Xros Wars since you have multiple zones to play around in. Maybe have Appmon helping out as Digivice upgrades providing new functions.

I always found Digimon Adventure and Digimon Adventure 02 to be the slowest and least creative seasons. Data Squad felt to me like it was meant to tell a story foremost.

I agree that Marcus feels like he's from another anime, but it was a nice break after that string of goofy kids. Mikey from Fusion is easily the best goggles protagonist I think.

I would love a game dedicated to the world of Fusion. That series was all about world-building, and exploring the various zones would be absolutely wonderful. The Korean version of Digimon Masters got a Xros Wars/Fusion update, but.. the global release never did. Such a shame.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, Adventure was also the first anime series and the only other piece of media was the first Digimon World which a similar setting to Adventure. I also like Adventure and 02's cast a great deal, especially Mimi because of her character development and the fact I adore Palmon as a partner.

I like Takato's arc as a gogglehead coming to grips with the consequences of being his OC to life. Mikey is definitely a good gogglehead too.

Fusion was easily my favorite Digimon series because of its setting and its fundamental mechanic even though said mechanic made archiving Digimon species an absolute nightmare.

Speaking of Digimon, Bogleech is reviewing Digimon species right now. He's currently in Data Squad as of this comment though he has run through a few Fusionverse Digimon already:http://www.bogleech.com/digimon/darchive.html

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Fusion was easily my favorite Digimon series because of its setting and its fundamental mechanic even though said mechanic made archiving Digimon species an absolute nightmare.

I'm thankful there are other people out there that loved Fusion's setting. I wish the DS game for Xros Wars was localized, even if it isn't exactly the ideal genre of game for that show.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Speaking of not ideal, there are some things Masters that I kinda want to see rectified either in the next update or a new MMO:
  • No duplicate lines - This is the big one but I'd honestly remove the duplicated lines and Digimon by having the duplicates instead be branching lines (e.g. Replace the original Salamon line with the Jogress line with Salamon having the ability to Armor Digivolve into either Nefertimon or Goatmon. Give Millenniumon the ability to Digivolve into Moon-Millenniumon instead of making them separate Jogress lines) You can have the branching paths be something you unlock by fulfilling requirements and have the Next Order option of turning off paths you don't want but Digimon has branching Digivolution trees and it'd be nice for the MMO to take advantage of that.
  • Character creator - Okay this is more for a new MMO but instead of having us play as established characters like Marcus, let players make their own custom character like a lot of MMOs like WoW do. You could still give the custom characters abilities like Marcus's punch but let the player choose the ability they want.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's weird that people complain about the soul mechanic because in literally every series it's a key thing that digivolution is only possible with a strong bond between tamer and digimon, and if that bond is severed, as in Tamers and Data Squad it has disastrous consequences, see: Beelzemon, Jeri and Biyomon for case studies in how bad things can go there.

Also I love that Drimogemon has drills for toes/claws. also Keramon are really cute in a weird way. Like a demonic muppet :3: Also, the rabbit hutch mission is a direct reference to the show, there is an episode where the rabbits are in danger. Also the DemiMeramon swarm.

Finally, it's totally unfair that Japan got the Xros wars expansion and the west didn't - why should they have the pizza, whilst we only get the crust?!

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 3, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally, it's totally unfair that Japan got the Xros wars expansion and the west didn't - why should they have the pizza, whilst we only get the crust?!

The global release of Digimon Masters is way behind the Koren version in a lot of ways. They have vastly different content and drop-rates.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Western Village

Our first real tasks in the Digital World. They're pretty heavy, honestly

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You can call the friendly teddy bear like Digimon MudFrigimon since they're related to Frigimon and are actually a snowman Digimon made of mud:

By the way while Data Squad has a character named Megumi Shirakawa, the game seems to have gotten her mixed up with the Tamers character Tally Onodera whose Japanese name is Megumi Onodera (and yes I'm using western name order for convenience).

Speaking of Tamers, I do like that Impmon is the one suspicious of Kurata given that the character in Tamers hates humans do to his bad experience with his Tamers Ai and Mako resulting in him rebelling and ultimately becoming Beelzemon which as BioEnchanted rightly noted had negative consequences. Impmon and his Tamers do reconcile after this though and he does try to atone for the sins he committed.

Kurata being your superior is like in reference to 23 where Kurata was Marcus, Thomas, and Yoshi's boss for a mission only for his atrocities to be revealed and him to turn the government against DATS.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 5, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

You can call the friendly teddy bear like Digimon MudFrigimon since they're related to Frigimon and are actually a snowman Digimon made of mud:

By the way while Data Squad has a character named Megumi Shirakawa, the game seems to have gotten her mixed up with the Tamers character Tally Onodera whose Japanese name is Megumi Onodera (and yes I'm using western name order for convenience).

Speaking of Tamers, I do like that Impmon is the one suspicious of Kurata given that the character in Tamers hates humans do to his bad experience with his Tamers Ai and Mako resulting in him rebelling and ultimately becoming Beelzemon which as BioEnchanted rightly noted had negative consequences. Impmon and his Tamers do reconcile after this though and he does try to atone for the sins he committed.

Kurata being your superior is like in reference to 23 where Kurata was Marcus, Thomas, and Yoshi's boss for a mission only for his atrocities to be revealed and him to turn the government against DATS.

I think they also mixed in some of Akihiro's backstory a bit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think a good fit for bigger bosses in a Digimon MMO would be the D-Reaper's agents from Tamers. It's powerful enough that it would make sense for multiple players to need to work together to kill it, and practically infinite in size because of it's nature. Stuff like the big pink tower with yellow mouths would make a neat superboss like Absolute Virtue from one of the FF MMOs.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I think a good fit for bigger bosses in a Digimon MMO would be the D-Reaper's agents from Tamers. It's powerful enough that it would make sense for multiple players to need to work together to kill it, and practically infinite in size because of it's nature. Stuff like the big pink tower with yellow mouths would make a neat superboss like Absolute Virtue from one of the FF MMOs.

That's a really cool idea, honestly.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Chimera-gui posted:

Also just to clarify, Drimogemon is a mole not a walrus. Walrus would be Ikkakumon.

Also I believe the reason for the complaints is because in most Digimon games, Digivolution is functionally permanent unless your Digimon either dies or you de-Digivolve it in the case of Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory where Digimon did not have lifespans.

Even Frontier?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Okay look full disclosure, I freely admit the Frontier was a severely flawed series with it's greatest cardinal sin being the mishandling of its cast aside from Kouji, Koichi, and Cherubimon. However, there are elements of Frontier I do like enough that I can't bring myself to hate the series despite the glaring flaws:
  • As mishandled as they are, the rest of the cast have potential to be good and there were some quirks that I liked (e.g. Zoe being the big eater instead of JP, something that even carried over the Fairimon in the Xros Wars manga).
    • More specifically, Cherubimon's evil warriors were arguably some of the best characters despite one of them being saddled with the worst subplot in Frontier.
  • The Digital World of Frontier is beautiful and the dub's music fit the spiritual vibe Frontier was aiming for.
  • The very concept of human/Digimon hybrids has considerable potential as a mechanic. Honestly the biggest issue with how it was done in Frontier was that it was too restricted as instead of being a Level, "Hybrid" should have been a class denoting that a being is a human/Digimon hybrid (e.g. Archnemon and Mummymon in 02, the Tamers' Biomerged Ultimate forms, and the Bio-hybrids of Data Squad).
Hell, the main problem of Frontier is that the core pillar of it's plot flawed from the start as explained by this commenter in Bog's Digimon Review:

Butterflygon posted:

I know this is an old(ish) review that has been over and done with, but lately I've been thinking about Digimon Frontier's humanoid-beast war and how it's frequently criticized for being rather underdeveloped, and I think Kazemon's line might be the key to explaining why that was the case: as a lot of people have already pointed out, Shutumon is an extremely humanoid design despite being classified as a beast, and is even a lot more human-looking than several male designs that are classified as humanoids such as Chackmon, whose literal only human feature is being a bipedal bear that wields a gun, which makes little sense when you realize that its beast form Korikakumon is also a bipedal weapon-wielding mammal. Now, this clearly shows that the classifications of which Digimon counted as humanoids and which ones counted as beasts was rather arbitrary and random, and the writers may have realized this somewhere down the line, and this was why the humanoid-beast conflict didn't receive much focus. Though given how having a beast-human conflict makes little sense in the context of Digimon due to how wild the designs can get (like seriously, where would you put things like machines and other inanimate objects in this? would they default to beast or would they be the "civilians"?), one could argue Frontier's writers set themselves up to fail from the start by even having the plotline in the first place and should have come up with something else.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 6, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The whole "Beast" and "Human" thing being an arbitrary distinction could've just as easily played into the narrative, with it being used to highlight the absurdity of a race war to begin with. A kind of, "these differences are so minuscule and practically non-existent, why is this conflict even occurring?", but in-universe, to point out some of the downsides to tribalism and unity. This leads me to believe that they probably had other reasons for not exploring the themes properly. Maybe time, budget, executive meddling, or indecision.

That being said, Bog seems to have thought way harder about the series than most critics did to begin with, so kudos to him for being so analytical and dedicated.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There could be any number of reasons for the different types on each side, like the Humans on the Beasts side thought that the Beasts were not being treated equally and wanted to support their friends, or the Beasts on the Humans side thought that things were fine and want to protect the status quo. But the lamest and most probable answer is that Lucemon manipulated them.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The very same themes are explored very in-depth in Star vs the Forces of Evil, with the arbitrary nature of the divide being the whole point of the show.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That being said, Bog seems to have thought way harder about the series than most critics did to begin with, so kudos to him for being so analytical and dedicated.

His reviews aren't perfect since he does have a bias towards the original, 90s grungy aesthetic which, while not inherently bad, is very dated and wasn't even very popular to begin with contrary to what the G1 purists want to believe with many of Bog's favorite Digimon such as Sukamon and Parasimon being among the most despised in the franchise (admittedly unfairly).

This leads to his review of Renamon being arguably the most controversial as he takes his frustration with the style and design philosophy shift out on her when she had little to do with the shift. His other contentious review was V-mon where he tried to make a joke about how many drat forms he has but the joke wound up falling flat.

That said, the review series is good overall and there is an effort to try to be fair.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 6, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

His reviews aren't perfect since he does have a bias towards the original, 90s grungy aesthetic which, while not inherently bad, is very dated and wasn't even very popular to begin with contrary to what the G1 purists want to believe with many of Bog's favorite Digimon such as Sukamon and Parasimon being among the most despised in the franchise (admittedly unfairly).

This leads to his review of Renamon being arguably the most controversial as he takes his frustration with the style and design philosophy shift out on her when she had little to do with the shift. His other contentious review was V-mon where he tried to make a joke about how many drat forms he has but the joke wound up falling flat.

That said, the review series is good overall and there is an effort to try to be fair.

I noticed his bias. Personally I prefer the newer aesthetic. The older grungey 90s style was meant to appeal to Boyz, because Digimon was originally meant to be Tamagotchi but 4 Boyz. Then it turned out to have much broader appeal and now I can appreciate Moosemon, Shoutmon, and various other pleasant looking Digimon.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Outskirts

80 degrees Fahrenheit won't stop me from systemically murdering innocent Digimon.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I noticed his bias. Personally I prefer the newer aesthetic. The older grungey 90s style was meant to appeal to Boyz, because Digimon was originally meant to be Tamagotchi but 4 Boyz. Then it turned out to have much broader appeal and now I can appreciate Moosemon, Shoutmon, and various other pleasant looking Digimon.

Another user, Fakery, and I have actually pointed out that the original style's inherently short lifespan and low popularity and to be fair Bog has gotten better about not letting his bias interfere with the more recent reviews.

He actually explains his feelings with the design philosophy shift quite well:

Bogleech posted:

I get it, but the competition, successful and otherwise, still tends to maintain a more diverse mix of creatures. I know it's tiresome to keep using pokemon as the model here, but each generation still brings out some Pokemon they probably already know won't be especially popular and marketable. They come out with a nice balance of things tailored just to sell toys and things they obviously just thought would be fun and interesting and add something to the worldbuilding, sometimes even if it's a repeat of a basic concept that wasn't even popular with Japanese fans in previous games.

Yo-Kai watch is also trying out something radically new with Shadowside, opting for much darker, bigger, more elaborate, more serious yo-kai, but bringing them out alongside alternate light-side forms that maintain design principals of the previous games.

I don't think hearkening back a little more often to the old days would outright hurt Digimon's sales. New Digimon games aren't even marketed around the addition of whole new monsters anymore and sometimes seem to only introduce just a handful of them anyway, surely leaving plenty of room for some new dinosaurs and (actually biological looking) insectoids.

I know in recent interviews they kind of acknowledged the design shift by saying they approach digimon designs "like unique characters, rather than video game enemy mobs," but I feel like they're limiting their imagination if they really feel "unique character" is mutually exclusive to a design like Birdramon or Gesomon. Maybe it's that they truly want to shy away as much as they can from resembling pokemon and, in turn, shying away from animal-like digimon or digital world "ecosystems," but, still, I certainly loved the devimons, andromon and lots of other early designs that definitely set themselves apart and had that "anime character" feel.

As he also notes and as others like myself have noticed, during and following Adventure Digimon started getting designed as characters rather than as species with Tamers and Frontier being the most guilty of this though Data Squad and Fusion started to transition back into the Digimon as species design philosophy and I do agree with him that there is room for a balance of both design philosophies.

Hell, the reason I like Fusion is that it has a mix of both Digmon as a single character (Shoutmon and Bagramon) and Digimon as species (Troopmon) as well the fact it acknowledged Digimon as a multiverse and I want them to do more with that.

Tl:dr, I like Digimon as a mix of Transformers meets Pokémon in terms of its design philosophy.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Finally catching up on the videos, during video 2 I wanted to find a clip from the Original Sabrina The Teenage Witch show to post due to the bad news delivery job comment of Zelda trying to deliver bad news to a client who wouldn't listen, but I can only find clips from the new one, so that's annoying. I like the new one, it's just not relevant.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 9, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like Frontier's Digimon designs. I mean if you watch it as a Power Rangers season rather than a Digimon season it's fine.

The plot is... not great, but I don't think anyone's really beaten Adventure/02 in terms of plotline for me anyway. Even Tamers really lost me in the second half.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Hell, the reason I like Fusion is that it has a mix of both Digmon as a single character (Shoutmon and Bagramon) and Digimon as species (Troopmon) as well the fact it acknowledged Digimon as a multiverse and I want them to do more with that.

Yeah, same.

BioEnchanted posted:

Finally catching up on the videos, during video 2 I wanted to find a clip from the Original Sabrina The Teenage Witch show to post due to the bad news delivery job comment of Zelda trying to deliver bad news to a client who wouldn't listen, but I can only find clips from the new one, so that's annoying. I like the new one, it's just not relevant.

That's a shame, that sounds entertaining.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I like Frontier's Digimon designs. I mean if you watch it as a Power Rangers season rather than a Digimon season it's fine.

The plot is... not great, but I don't think anyone's really beaten Adventure/02 in terms of plotline for me anyway. Even Tamers really lost me in the second half.

I approach most of the seasons with the same mindset I use to approach Power Rangers. I don't care for Adventure/Adventure 02 though. They're too slow for my taste.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like to think the real reason that Akihiko wants Vegiemon dead is that he failed to play for a meal at his restaurant and was forced to wash dishes. Digitamamon will get his eventually, but today it's Vegiemon's time of reckoning!

Also I feel Akihiko's title should update as you do more quests - <Doctor Akihiko> turns into <Uncomfortable Doctor> Akihiko turns into <RED FLAG Doctor Akihiko> then finally <Mad Doctor Akihiko> when the show inevitably drops

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 9, 2019

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

I like to think the real reason that Akihiko wants Vegiemon dead is that he failed to play for a meal at his restaurant and was forced to wash dishes. Digitamamon will get his eventually, but today it's Vegiemon's time of reckoning!

Also I feel Akihiko's title should update as you do more quests - <Doctor Akihiko> turns into <Uncomfortable Doctor> Akihiko turns into <RED FLAG Doctor Akihiko> then finally <Mad Doctor Akihiko> when the show inevitably drops

Doctor Akihiro already has an Evil Laugh Pose that he just sometimes does for no reason. It's one of his idle animations.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Many Bombs

I'm not sure we're very good people, but we're trying.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

We all know what's really happening - Akihiro is trying to save the Leomon in the long run. He knows that every series a leomon is killed, so he's getting a head start by killing a bunch of random Leomon so that if a Main Character Leomon comes up he can be safe, because in this story a Leomon has already died.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

We all know what's really happening - Akihiro is trying to save the Leomon in the long run. He knows that every series a leomon is killed, so he's getting a head start by killing a bunch of random Leomon so that if a Main Character Leomon comes up he can be safe, because in this story a Leomon has already died.

What a noble sacrifice the man is making.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'm honestly surprised that anyone would consider the dub movie the best way to see the three films considering how much was cut outta each to give the finished film the length it has which was the biggest thing the movie got bashed over.

Don't get me wrong they did integrate the three plots about as well as probably could have and I do like everything else about the movie but I feel like they maybe should have treated the plots as separate and aired them as a triple feature type deal with Kari the narrator being like "Okay here is how we became the Digidestined, here was the time Tai and Matt fused their Digimon to fight a computer virus that became a Digimon, here's the time TK and I went to America and met a kid dealing with one of his partner Digimon going mad" since the three base films were technically more like OVAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

I'm honestly surprised that anyone would consider the dub movie the best way to see the three films considering how much was cut outta each to give the finished film the length it has which was the biggest thing the movie got bashed over.

Don't get me wrong they did integrate the three plots about as well as probably could have and I do like everything else about the movie but I feel like they maybe should have treated the plots as separate and aired them as a triple feature type deal with Kari the narrator being like "Okay here is how we became the Digidestined, here was the time Tai and Matt fused their Digimon to fight a computer virus that became a Digimon, here's the time TK and I went to America and met a kid dealing with one of his partner Digimon going mad" since the three base films were technically more like OVAs.

I think Willis creating Diaboromon added a layer of emotional depth that was missing from the original OVAs.