Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

lol at the implication ken has no idea how to draw a black person who isn’t “generic” without a picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ffs ponders he's not even centered correctly!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It's the insane amount of just absolute delusions about a) a movie being made about this and b) that Mackie would even consider it that's just sending me.

And that was before I got to learn the character's name which...wow....just....wow....

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

he's right

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Thank you.

So, uh, Myyk'hael just had the one facial expression, eh?

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
There was actually a podcast from Cybershell and Bernievidz related to Ken's whole situation. It's probably not any new information for the thread, but it is a fun vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlkWNlD62Pg

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The insane nonsense that is Riverdale came up in a discussion I was having with a friend recently, and between that show and Penders' Sonic/Knuckles, I feel like there needs to be a name for the specific sort of hack who has some sort of terrible story they want to tell but are unable to gain funding for, and so they hijack some other, existing, IP to try and use it to 'stealthily' tell that story instead. Like how Riverdale is clearly wholly divorced from Archie and just Aguirre-Sacasa playing out his fetishes and inept Twin Peaks fanfiction, while Penders' Knuckles stuff was all just varying degrees of adaptation of that comic he failed to make back when.

Like, yeah, you often get unfaithful adaptations of stuff, but usually it's do to executive meddling and poo poo. Or ineptitude wanting to tell the story better. But it's rare you get 'I don't care about this IP at all and am hijacking it for my own selfish purposes because it is the only way I can get anyone to give me money to make my crap."

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Like how Riverdale is clearly wholly divorced from Archie and just Aguirre-Sacasa playing out his fetishes and inept Twin Peaks fanfiction

I think the difference between Riverdale and the Echidna stuff is that Penders never really cared about the Sonic universe and its characters beyond their ability to act as a vehicle for his unrelated stories, while for Aguirre-Sacasa, the Archie characters are the point.

Before he got into working at Archie officially, Aguirre-Sacasa wrote a play in 2003 called "Archie's Weird Fantasy", which featured Archie coming out as gay and briefly dating real-life serial killer Nathan Leopold. Archie Comics sent him a cease & desist and made him change all the names, but neither side must have held much of a grudge because they hired him to do Afterlife With Archie and then made him CCO of the company.

Aguirre-Sacasa seems to be more a case of an inmate running the asylum, while Penders is more like JJ Abrams doing Star Trek - he never really cared about the property itself, so decided to use it as a way to make a Star Wars movie instead.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
afterlfie with archie owned

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vampironica was fun too, but I guess Archie's given up on all of that?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
does archie even publish comics anymore

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

afterlfie with archie owned

I never read past the first trade paperback collection of the first 5 or 6 issues, but yeah, that poo poo was very good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

does archie even publish comics anymore

It looks like they're basically just doing the old digests with horror one-shots here and there, checking their site.

That kinda sucks. They really had a hot streak there for a bit in terms of quality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, it's mostly reprints plus some short horror anthologies that, frankly, aren't very good. (They usually end up on Comixology Unlimited for free so I give them a read).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The insane nonsense that is Riverdale came up in a discussion I was having with a friend recently, and between that show and Penders' Sonic/Knuckles, I feel like there needs to be a name for the specific sort of hack who has some sort of terrible story they want to tell but are unable to gain funding for, and so they hijack some other, existing, IP to try and use it to 'stealthily' tell that story instead. Like how Riverdale is clearly wholly divorced from Archie and just Aguirre-Sacasa playing out his fetishes and inept Twin Peaks fanfiction, while Penders' Knuckles stuff was all just varying degrees of adaptation of that comic he failed to make back when.

Like, yeah, you often get unfaithful adaptations of stuff, but usually it's do to executive meddling and poo poo. Or ineptitude wanting to tell the story better. But it's rare you get 'I don't care about this IP at all and am hijacking it for my own selfish purposes because it is the only way I can get anyone to give me money to make my crap."

I don't know if there's a succinct term for it but the insane Brazilian MegaMan comic is probably the most open example.

Zibraltar
Jul 15, 2007

by VideoGames

JordanKai posted:

Please tell me you were being sarcastic here and that you didn't bump a thread from six months ago just to hype up JK Rowling while using an emote that used to be called "bigtran".

I really like these Sonic books :sanix:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

mycot posted:

I don't know if there's a succinct term for it but the insane Brazilian MegaMan comic is probably the most open example.

What's the scoop on that one?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Saoshyant posted:

the writer got bored of mega man and tried to kill the entire cast off in favor of his own original creation but capcom pulled the license before he was able to

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
theres a street fighter comic thats first issue ended with ken being brutally murdered and capcom immediately pulled the license on that one too lol

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres a street fighter comic thats first issue ended with ken being brutally murdered and capcom immediately pulled the license on that one too lol

Classic Malibu.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Saoshyant posted:

The comic accepted fan scripts so you'd get stuff like roll being naked for no reason

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Sagat and Balrog even send Ken's scalp to Ryu.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

This was giving me weird vague flashbacks so I looked up a cover gallery and this is kind of weirdly specifically a mashup of the covers of Knuckles #16 and 17.

The cover of 16 is by Penders himself.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think at least part of it is that it can be excruciatingly difficult to get execs to greenlight a new IP. I don't think it's, like, universal across media but Craig McCracken was working on the Powerpuff Girls remake because Cartoon Network rejected all 16 of his pitches for new shows. So now you gotta just pick a preexisting property and sneak your own poo poo in.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

Sagat and Balrog even send Ken's scalp to Ryu.

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

zetamind2000 posted:

The comic accepted fan scripts so you'd get stuff like roll being naked for no reason

:whitewater:

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

This was giving me weird vague flashbacks so I looked up a cover gallery and this is kind of weirdly specifically a mashup of the covers of Knuckles #16 and 17.

The cover of 16 is by Penders himself.

This one as well:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Wow that doesn't look like it's covered in disgusting glossy playdough slime

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

I saw new posts and got excited that Penders may have actually, finally drawn something.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

What’s the name of the echidna in the upper left that looks like Ice Cube in Tank Girl? Do he and Robot Anthony Mackie go on adventures together?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Robot Style posted:

This one as well:

drat it this is the one I was really thinking of, I just thought it was a Knuckles comic for some reason.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Aristide posted:

I saw new posts and got excited that Penders may have actually, finally have been sued into oblivion.

:same:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Regarding Aguirre-Sacasa, yeah, he's a very weird one. Because some of that old stuff feels like weird edgelord fanfiction - some of which was good - but Riverdale is so divorced wholly from the source material and even source characterizations and stuff he's done that, yeah. It really gives me the same vibes as Penders or, as noted below, Brazilian Megaman.

mycot posted:

Yes! Exactly!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
wholesome archie ftw

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

thread giving me flashbacks to being excited for a new issue of sonic only to open it and get slapped in the face with Ron Lim art

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I almost prefer Penders to that

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

thread giving me flashbacks to being excited for a new issue of sonic only to open it and get slapped in the face with Ron Lim art

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

"What's your inspiration for drawing Sonic?"

Answer:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH