Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Snuffman posted:

*tells a very personal story about how your husband wouldn't love you if you were fat, you used to take speed to lose weight but gave it up, reveal that you're still addicted to and actively taking speed*

(4 episodes later...)

*tells a very personal story about how you don't get along with anyone at your divorce support group*

mmmmaiiiillll-kriiiimp?

Didn’t know about that last part, thanks for the closure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to be the NPR Games Guy.

"This is Xathur Sargasso for NPR Games. Red Dead Redemption 2 is being lauded as one of the greatest games ever made... but what it's *not* saying about climate change is landing its head writer in hot water."

PBS had this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWNm5DUSZkc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRVp5dJH_Ac

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Again going to recommend Selected Shorts and Snap Judgement. Just avoid NPR's news and politics coverage because they have great shows dedicated to arts and culture.

NPR's not bad for "what happened today, like, in general," but then again everything gets halted for The President Made A Tweet. I use the NPR One app in the morning to get that five minute Lakshmi Singh thing, but lately I seem to be skipping most other segments until I hit an unskippable commercial, then I just turn it off.

I can pinpoint when I started losing the faith, though. A host of All Things Considered did her own segment about how she finally realized that traffic rerouting apps were a problem because they were keeping her from getting to her vacation house in Martha's Vineyard in a timely fashion via her favorite shortcuts.

With a Perspective, I'm doctorfrog.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

something something Hamilton something Game of Thrones

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Farrier Theaks posted:

Hi I'm nina totenberg. You can tell how unhappy I am with the supreme court's ruling on abortion by the tone of my voice. Also somebody stole my dad's violin once

Yeah I heard it this morning too. Very unusual tone to her voice. Never heard about the violin though.
E: danged if I can find that audio on npr.org at the moment though.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 29, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I don't notice it that much anymore, but sometimes it's kinda distracting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfgBgpFJYto

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Burt Sexual posted:

I haven’t said how much I hate Sam sanders try hard “hip” cool guy hour long show “it’s been a minute” for a while.
I tried to like it. "Let's have cute, stagey, noncommitally left conversations about Twitter things and pop music," is how I remember it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Breakfast All Day posted:

It's act 2. I'm Zoe Chace. Once again, I find myself in the front office of senator Jeff Flake. In one week, the senate will be voting on ______. Flake is a republican, but he also says he's a moderate, and is undecided on _______. Over the next hour we'll be following Flake as he goes about the business of the senate and makes up his mind on _____.

I know we've done this story three times before, and, surprisingly, Flake has always voted with the republican line. I also know that Flake received $200k of funding from the _____ industry in his last campaign. But to me, in his office, he really seems divided, determined to do whats right for constituents, and struggling under the weight of his responsibility, like in this clip: "well, ayuck ayuck ayuck, gollie gee little lady. There's a lot of opinions out there, and I'm just a simple senator trying to be a good American. I really don't know how I'm going to vote. Do you think it could be with my party and with the interests that sponsor me and will make me wealthy when I cash out in a few months? Do you? You don't? You don't think so, you credulous useful idiot journalism prep school poo poo?" We'll come back to Flake's struggle in a moment, but first, I have to respond to a Nigerian prince who's in desperate need of my expertise and guidance.
I can't stop thinking about this post and Zoe Chace's endless credulity over several episodes and more than a year of following this man around. There is something about The Outwardly Conflicted Republican that's like catnip wrapped around kryptonite for a certain class of reporters.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Didn't Serial try to follow one of Adnan's appeals (maybe the last one?) and it immediately got shot down?

Serial made the right choice IMO to focus on (basically) poor people going through the justice system in season 3. Not only is it more interesting and shorter in form, the handwringing is more over what a lovely time they have of it whether they're obviously guilty or not, and opens the question about whether some larger sense of justice is being served. But of course they can only publish it for a month and then they're gone for a year. I'm sure they individually have other projects they're working on.

Feels like a long time since I've been subjected to a MailChimp ad.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ElGroucho posted:

I listened to 2 episodes of season 3 and didn't get poo poo out of it. It's basically a white lady being like, "Wow, did you guys know that the poor are getting hosed by the system??"

No poo poo, lady, welcome to America.

Hey, it's a potentially useful primer for downwardly mobile citizens. Also give some listeners that good ol' "there but for the grace of God" feeling to get them through their commutes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Here's an uncritical, and subtly congratulatory reporting of a minor change a social media corporation is thinking about maybe doing to offset the awfulness of their business model, without impacting their profits or growth in the slightest. This is the most one should expect from a corporation, and we won't give voice to alternatives from someone who doesn't work in that industry. We won't mention when this feature is completely removed by a very quiet security update. See you next bullying-related suicide or shooting. Tech: we know you work in it, invest in it, or just kinda feel good about it!

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 10, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah that perked my ears up. Then they did a story about how they finally called a racist thing racist. It’s news that news is calling things what they are this one time. Maybe it’ll continue.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If the twitter thread is correct, he's also the guy who wouldn't let them call lies, lies, because they couldn't be sure they were intentional lies.

I'm hopeful this podcast where he argues with another NPR man about whether they can say racist things are racist, isn't a tepid drink of water. https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=742448398

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pre game Mueller Testimony Analysis
Mueller Testimony
Post Game Mueller Testimony Analysis
This, but “Mueller” https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0kWxiijE40

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 24, 2019

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

NPR: We just want to be liked

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

We’re gonna go ahead and dedicate several segments that seriously investigate the right wing allegation that video games have something to do with mass shooting murders rather than quickly identify them as the last minute distractions that they clearly are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mallon Little Rock-Mittens