Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Problem description: I have two monitors. Primary monitor uses DVI, secondary monitor (smaller) uses HDMI. When I plug in the HDMI monitor, eventually it starts flickering, as if rapidly disconnecting and reconnecting to the computer. As a result, I am forced to unplug it because it is screwing up my main monitor in the process.

The metal around the HDMI port is always extremely hot when I unplug it, I have checked just a moment ago after the monitor has been unplugged for a while, and it is still very hot. The primary monitor has not shown any signs of problems.

In short, does anyone know if I'd be right to assume the heating thing is the problem, or if something else might be the problem? Better yet, any options I might have in hopes of stopping this? Having to endure a single monitor after nearly a decade of using two really really sucks.

EDITING IN: In reference to "it's hot", the metal around the HDMI port used by the second monitor is hot enough to the touch that I cannot keep my finger on it for more than a second or two, several hours after remaining unplugged. if it helps:
The HDMI port in question, currently unplugged.

Attempted fixes: Though I can figure my way around Software with a little help, I am very much hardware-illiterate, and have no idea what to even begin to try.

Recent changes: Nothing that I'm aware of. It's been happening for a while, though it used to be *exceedingly* rare, but has gotten a lot more common, to the point where my second Monitor now spends more time unplugged than plugged in.

--

Operating system: Windows 7.

System specs: ASUSTeK P8Z77-V LX motherboard, 3.40 GHz processor, AMD Radeon HD 7800 graphics card. Built this thing aaaages ago.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: No? I don't know if this refers to a specific FAQ or not? I'm very much hardware-illiterate, and had to google just to find out how to identify some of my system specs, which is why I'm asking for help here

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstPastThePost
Apr 1, 2011
There are two things I would look at. The first would be standard troubleshooting steps, test with a different HDMI cable and a different monitor. A bad cable could cause a problem like this. The other would be to test to see if the problem exists when only the HDMI connected monitor is plugged in.

If it's still happening after ruling out the cable and the monitor than it has to be the video card. It's probably easiest to replace the video card at that point, a straight swap would be fairly inexpensive.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The HD7800 cards ran very hot, so that's probably what you're feeling.
Another thing you can try is to see if the problem persists when you connect the HDMI monitor to the DVI port using an adapter. You likely got one with the card.
If that fixes it, it's likely the port starting to fail.

Replacing the card with a modern entry level one will most likely improve your ability to play games, watch online videos and also reduce your computer's heat output.