Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Let's Play: Genealogy of Fantasy!

This is a Fire Emblem-clone with Touhou characters and a Touhou plot.

Why are you LPing this?

Partially because I think it's a neat game, but largely because I wanted to practice translating Japanese. I'm doing this entirely solo, so updates will be sporadic. Though people that followed Fantasy Maiden Wars should be used to that already.

Do I need to know anything about Touhou to follow this?

Sooorta?

This game's plot is a stylized "prequel" to Touhou proper, so you don't need to know too much about the games themselves. You might not have the same "Oh hey, that's neat" reaction to the previous Akyuu, or Youmu's grandpa showing up, but this game explains itself well enough, I think.

Do I need to know anything about Fire Emblem to follow this?

I'll be assuming some basic mechanical familiarity with Fire Emblem, but outside of that, not at all.

Hey so I googled this game's name and it h-

please don't

Yes, this game has fanservice awkwardly shoved into it for marketing purposes. It's very easy to avoid, so I'll be doing exactly that. Please don't derail the thread by being weird about it.

---

Table of Contents

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 2x
Chapter 3
Chapter 3x
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 8x
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Supports
Shrine Maiden/Youki B
Kogasa/Kyouko C
Ran/Yukari B
Shrine Maiden/Suika B
Kogasa/Kyouko B
Ran/Yukari A
Kogasa/Kyouko A
Mokou/Tewi B
Mokou/Tewi A
Chen/Ran B

Golden Battler fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
reserving this

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Here's another link to Chapter 1 in case you missed it in the OP.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Where are the hats, this is Touhou right, where are the goddamn hats?!

It's weird seeing them without hats. :(

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
There's a few nice hats later on, but most characters' hats had not yet been invented in this time period.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Meiji 16 is 1883, btw. So it takes place about 130 years before the rest of the series. Before hats were invented.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It's a bit weird to start off a lots-of-protagonists-to-collect-style RPG (assuming this because it's Touhou) with all the final bosses in your party.

When was this game released? Going to be very amused if all the tsukumogami-style youkai show up as ordinary usable items.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's pretty old. Around UFO era I think? There's actually a sequel that deals with DDC, and that's pretty old too.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

To be fair they're not final bosses yet.

Although young Yukari just feels wrong somehow. As others said, it's probably the hats and lack thereof.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I didn't think pair up could get any more broken, sweet jeezums.

Looks cute! I thought this game looked familiar, they announced the sequel was getting a switch and PS4 release last playdoujin.

Also it was released back in December of 2012 (so well after ten desires but before hopeless masquerade), so anyone before then with a reason is presumably fair game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Clarste posted:

Meiji 16 is 1883, btw. So it takes place about 130 years before the rest of the series. Before hats were invented.

What a savage age that was.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Some thoughts, but without datamined growths talking about units in a FE game is always iffy.

Yukari looks like your standard Roy lord (a.k.a. utterly :mediocre:) but her skills are interesting. Gap Hag Movement is flyer without drawbacks, as I assume she still gets terrain bonuses and she does not have to look out for bows. She's not a full cavalry unit with move 6 but ignoring terrain cost is always quite powerful (depending on map design obviously).
Boundary is meh. Nice bonus, but II doubt she'll become Hector anytime soon (or at all) if she's in the Roy mould.

Ran. Probably the green cavalier. No specials beyond Canto. Usable, lance access on promotions, boring viable series staple.

Yuuka. UUUGGGHHHH move 5. At least when she's attacked, she has plenty of beef to facetank with.

Yuyuko: what the hell? admittedly Ghost makes her slightly more resilient than your starter Pegasus Knight but seriously :wtf:
I'm hoping she gains the tome equivalent on promotion because an unit that can't deal damage is useless from at least midgame onwards.

The protagonist, Miko Nameless (for now) Hakurei. I know nothing from this game and I'm just speculating, but no way she isn't Reimu's grandmother (add great- prefixes as needed).
And she's clearly first in line in the Hakurei Miko being overpowered. Stave access with an actual weapon (even if it's just swords), 10% increased evade against the most common enemy type and Nihil? Yes please.
Oh, and her bow is sufficiently hat-like it has Charisma, because clearly everything else wasn't already enough.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 7, 2019

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I'm not going to mention these in the updates because they're just bruteforce trials rather than confirmed numbers, but the JPwiki estimates Yukari's STR growth at 25-30%.

Just so you know.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I know nothing about Fire Emblem, but I do love me some Touhous. That said, what's weirding me out isn't the lack of hats, but seeing Yukari and Ran being so smol. Just one thing: should I assume that Yuyuko's already dead by now, seeing as she's got all those wispy things around her?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CommissarMega posted:

I know nothing about Fire Emblem, but I do love me some Touhous. That said, what's weirding me out isn't the lack of hats, but seeing Yukari and Ran being so smol. Just one thing: should I assume that Yuyuko's already dead by now, seeing as she's got all those wispy things around her?

Since the game calls her a ghost I think that's a pretty safe assumption.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Look I posted that at 4 AM local time, I'm gonna be much dumber than usual

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not sure how to feel about a Touhou game without Reimu showing up at all, but I suppose i'm in for the ride.

I'm kinda curious about how many games they'll draw characters from since a bunch of the games are about recent visitors to Gensokyo, which wouldn't really fit the timeline. Though I guess there's no reason they couldn't just come up with an excuse for like Byakuren showing up or anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rest assured that they have managed to cram in as many backstories as possible, and even some that are impossible.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
The sprites are good and the artwork's decent, but the backgrounds hurt my soul.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Boksi posted:

The sprites are good and the artwork's decent, but the backgrounds hurt my soul.

It's that vintage doujin 3D graphics with sprites.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I like the lovely landscape models somehow, it kinda reminds me of late 90s pc games.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Was this made by the same people as Fire Chenblem? That was the one I remember playing and ... I didn't really like it that much

Should look more into this one though since it seems like it has options to be less hardcore

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ground floor of a legendary lp, hopefully I get to see some fan favorites show up

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Merilan posted:

Was this made by the same people as Fire Chenblem? That was the one I remember playing and ... I didn't really like it that much

Should look more into this one though since it seems like it has options to be less hardcore

It is, I think.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
:siren::siren::siren:
Chapter 2

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Golden Battler posted:

Please be excited for late game siege weapons, where you have to watch bullets fly across the screen for like 5 full seconds if you're attacking from max range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6heFRfHQv0

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

On the next episode of youkai babies.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Yuyuko is still one of the best characters, regardless of fangame.

Game seems surprisingly cute. ...Also did not realize echos did that if you hacked in distance, that's hilarious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Oh... I get it now... Yuyuko sucks in combat because she's been skipping her sword training with Youki. It's all coming together now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This owns.

Also, it's kinda weird to me that there's younger versions of the fairies. Do fairies even age? Are they born or something? I wasn't expecting the game to pose these questions!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This owns.

Also, it's kinda weird to me that there's younger versions of the fairies. Do fairies even age? Are they born or something? I wasn't expecting the game to pose these questions!

Well it's canon from the mainline games that Cirno is at least 60 because she recognized the stuff happening in PoFV as happening every 60 years, but at the same time I doubt she ages. Fairies are manifestations of nature in Gensokyo. Cirno exists because things get cold and it's possible she has existed for as long as things have gotten cold and she'll probably continue to exist for as long as there's any cold weather in Gensokyo. Cirno here isn't really acting any more childishly than she normally does, she's just wearing a different outfit.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Oh hey, I've seen this type of Touhou fangame before many years ago. I think the game I watched before is called Cirno Senki or something? The characters design, CG, and combat are interesting. Too bad I can't read Japanese. So this LP should be pretty fun to follow.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Holy poo poo, Grandpa Konpaku is ripped :stare: Also yay for Cirno, my favourite character! Pity she gets wiped so early on, though, here's to hoping we get to recruit her or something.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

She and Daiyousei have a skill protecting them from permadeath even on classic mode. It's a skill that has reason to exist only if at least a fairy joins the party.
Considering this is a fangame, no way Team 9 Leader won't join up later on.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What does the existence of Grandpa Konpaku say about half-ghost genetics and inheritance?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

Decoy Badger posted:

What does the existence of Grandpa Konpaku say about half-ghost genetics and inheritance?

Okay basically it works like this:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter 2x

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Fairies are extremely powerful.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This game is starting strong by introducing 5 fairies in 3 stages. I'm hoping for more in the future.

Also since this was stage 2x was it an optional stage that we unlocked through something last level or is it just a strange naming scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Did I forget to mention it? I guess I might've.

You need to beat Cirno on Chapter 2 within 20 turns, or else the 3 fairies show up and are an extra boss fight.