Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Considering this is a prequel, do character dying in Classic Mode actually affect anything they do in the story, like do they just stop showing up in scenes whether or not it makes sense in the longrun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Great Fairy Wars: the prequel.

I'm going to guess they changed from Mayoiga to Mayohiga because Mayoiga seems to be the standard way of writing it, while Mayohiga seems to be confined to Touhou specifically. Looks like plenty of room for confusion.

It's weird to see a Touhou game without any real spellcards, but I suppose the idea of spellcards hasn't even been invented yet.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

freshlybaked posted:

Considering this is a prequel, do character dying in Classic Mode actually affect anything they do in the story, like do they just stop showing up in scenes whether or not it makes sense in the longrun?

I haven't actually tested this, since I've never failed to recruit everyone, or let anyone die. I do know that optional characters get dialogue in the main story pretty often, at least.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
:siren::siren::siren:
Chapter 3

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Nice to see this back. I forgot how typical fire-emblem the game plays, but in a good way. That stealing mechanic is quite bizarre though, and it really should have been spread out to at least one or two other characters!

Not that it bothers me at all, but I could have swore that what little story there was in Double Spoiler made it explicit that game was Aya and Hatate's first meeting. Actually I should probably stop any attempts at being picky about continuity here and now though, especially with all that stuff with the Myouren crew, and just treat this story as it's own unique take on events.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

freshlybaked posted:

Not that it bothers me at all, but I could have swore that what little story there was in Double Spoiler made it explicit that game was Aya and Hatate's first meeting. Actually I should probably stop any attempts at being picky about continuity here and now though, especially with all that stuff with the Myouren crew, and just treat this story as it's own unique take on events.

Yeah, as we'll see this is very much it's own fanfic-y story, just with the general premise of "all the backstory at once".

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
High stat requirements early on for Suika combined with the semi random stat gain system seems like an exercise in frustration. So does the steal mechanic being given only to one character.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

freshlybaked posted:

Nice to see this back. I forgot how typical fire-emblem the game plays, but in a good way. That stealing mechanic is quite bizarre though, and it really should have been spread out to at least one or two other characters!

I like to think of it as effectively immortal beings not bothering to keep track of events as they actually happened, and just that they eventually did. It's kind of like when histories just say, "these events all happened during the reign of King X, and these happened during King Y's." If you can't work out the chronology from the events themselves, then the timeline isn't important enough to bother with.

Also, the defeat artwork isn't the usual :japan: is it? I'm a big Fire Emblem fan, but even Heroes is heavy on the smut and it's gotten old.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter 3x:

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, the defeat artwork isn't the usual :japan: is it? I'm a big Fire Emblem fan, but even Heroes is heavy on the smut and it's gotten old.
Yep.

The sequel lets you turn them off, but I don't think this game has that option.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

quote:

This morning's chores are cleaning, making fried rice, and an ambush.

I fhink she's actually got everything memorized correctly

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

el dorito posted:

I fhink she's actually got everything memorized correctly

Yeah, we found it: The one well-adjusted touhou.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I'm so disappointed that Kogasa isn't just a single-use umbrella item.

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019
I get the sense that Ms. Hakurei here is kind of our Caeda plot-wise, in that she's oddly magnetic and recruits an immensely disproportionate amount of the cast

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
:siren:
Chapter 4

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
not dead yet

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:kiddo:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Saying this after a chapter entirely about ghosts makes it very hard to believe, you know?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Golden Battler posted:

At the very least, she dropped the Devil Axe.

This will be very important in a later chapter.

This gun on the mantle fills me with fear.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Fun fact: the same method I've been using to extract text from this game (searching text strings with cheat engine) has also let me extract accurate growth rates for every character in the game.

This also let me confirm that, true to my suspicions, Yukari really IS the worst character in the game.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter 5

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
That is a lot of characters to dump into a single chapter. Digging Diablo Protagonist Hieda too.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Decoy Badger posted:

That is a lot of characters to dump into a single chapter. Digging Diablo Protagonist Hieda too.

Gonna get really confusing if we get Aya and Aya on the same team.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter 6

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's an interesting way to recruit someone. Looks like a pain in the rear end though.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
If you're trying to recruit every character, Yuugi is BY FAR the hardest one to get.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well the biggest problem is getting 9 speed.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Is recruiting Yuugi basically a sequence break? It seems really tedious to do and she is super powered compared to everyone else at this point. Or is Fire Emblem the kind of game where it's assumed you'll grind your way to the highest numbers no matter what?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Decoy Badger posted:

Is recruiting Yuugi basically a sequence break? It seems really tedious to do and she is super powered compared to everyone else at this point. Or is Fire Emblem the kind of game where it's assumed you'll grind your way to the highest numbers no matter what?

I can't speak to this game, but this recruitment is definitely way outside the norm for Fire Emblem. FE has had a couple of truly miserable recruitments (Xavier in Thracia 776 I think is still the worst ever, and Stefan is complete bullshit in both games he's in), but those are thankfully extremely rare exceptions and we haven't had ones as bad as them in literal decades.

The closest I can think of that's like this is in Path of Radiance where you got a character for winning a really tough fight that's functionally one-on-one, but that fight was at the end of stage 27 of 29 as opposed to the beginning, the odds weren't stacked nearly as badly against you as they are here, and you could have your other character healing and supporting your fighter.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Decoy Badger posted:

Is recruiting Yuugi basically a sequence break? It seems really tedious to do and she is super powered compared to everyone else at this point. Or is Fire Emblem the kind of game where it's assumed you'll grind your way to the highest numbers no matter
what?

All the opposite. Nearly no FE game actually lets you grind, and even when you can, level ups are completely random so you can't really know how strong your character will be beyond averages. This would be out of place in an actual FE game and honestly it doesn't seem like the mechanics work for it even here considering it gets significantly harder if you don't hit a speed threshold and even with it you still need to dodge an over 60% chance to get hit to win.

Omnicrom posted:

I can't speak to this game, but this recruitment is definitely way outside the norm for Fire Emblem. FE has had a couple of truly miserable recruitments (Xavier in Thracia 776 I think is still the worst ever, and Stefan is complete bullshit in both games he's in), but those are thankfully extremely rare exceptions and we haven't had ones as bad as them in literal decades.

The closest I can think of that's like this is in Path of Radiance where you got a character for winning a really tough fight that's functionally one-on-one, but that fight was at the end of stage 27 of 29 as opposed to the beginning, the odds weren't stacked nearly as badly against you as they are here, and you could have your other character healing and supporting your fighter.

You're missing the most direct comparison here, Karla in FE7, where you have to train a specific unit to fight her to get her, only said unit is not good, this happens nearly at the end of the game when you get Bartre early, nothing points to it happening, and it just kind of sucks in general.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter 7

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
To go along with the update:

Here's a strawpoll to vote on supports

Like I said, I'm doing all of these as they come up, this is just a vote on what I'll translate next. I'll probably do one of these per chapter, so whoever wins here will come alongside the next update.

I'll do whatever two options wind up with the highest votes. The deadline is... whenever I do the next update. Maybe that'll be in a couple days, maybe it'll be in 6 months. Who knows!

Btw, you can vote for as many options as you want. Technically you can vote for ALL the options, though that doesn't actually accomplish anything. Oh, and I don't care if you pass the link around to your non-goon friends. Go nuts.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Also, yeah, while there's a good few things in this game I have complaints about, Yuugi's recruitment is probably the worst thing in the game from like, a design perspective. Even with a base level Suika I think you can JUST BARELY do it with a Devil Axe, but you'll go insane with all that saving/reloading.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blaze Dragon posted:

you still need to dodge an over 60% chance to get hit to win.

You need to dodge 1 out of 2 60% hit rates. The odds of them both hitting are only 36%.

I mean, it's still annoying, but it's not that bad.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Eirin seems like such a trustworthy friend, those dramatic chords are basically shouting "let's all get along!".

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Chapter 8

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
:siren:And here's the Support strawpoll for the next chapter.:siren:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016