Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

hello internet posted:

One time while in college I went to the wrong building for a job interview for some phone tech support job. Got interviewed and they were asking me all these weird questions about car insurance in California and once I realized I was at the wrong place they still offered me a job that I didn't take and just went home. Man that was quite an afternoon.

I did nearly the exact same thing, except I interviewed to be the supervisor of the role I thought I was interviewing for. Somehow I got the loving job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
One time I had a job interview and it was processing like thousands of photos in photoshop, cropping them to the same size or something. During the interview they wanted to watch me do like ten of them and I made a macro and then they canceled the interview and canceled the job and I guess just used my extremely simple macro forever after that. Should have demanded a consulting fee.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

One time I had a job interview and it was processing like thousands of photos in photoshop, cropping them to the same size or something. During the interview they wanted to watch me do like ten of them and I made a macro and then they canceled the interview and canceled the job and I guess just used my extremely simple macro forever after that. Should have demanded a consulting fee.

Or negotiated a per photo rate

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Because job interviews and jobs all suck rear end.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Nevvy Z posted:

Or negotiated a per photo rate

or somehow included a part of the macro that diverted one one hundredth of a penny to superman's account

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sounds like you overplayed your hand

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wish I could get a job that I could automate using irfanview.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Oh, I'm not the only one who still uses that?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lol never talk about automation until you actually have the job

One time I had a client steadfastly refuse to allow me to provide my own estimate, because their policy with contractors was to provide their estimate and allow the contractor to either take it or leave it. I ended up billing them almost 300 hours for something that required maybe 10 hours of my time. That was an awesome couple of months.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

lol never talk about automation until you actually have the job

I mean, I figured they were looking for someone who could do things like make a macro, not that they literally were hiring to have someone do that one specific crop and resize thing specifically. They seemed so confused and the interviewer had to like, go get his boss.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, I figured they were looking for someone who could do things like make a macro, not that they literally were hiring to have someone do that one specific crop and resize thing specifically. They seemed so confused and the interviewer had to like, go get his boss.

Is this for real lol what the hell were they doing, did they not have anyone even remotely experienced in computers that could have told them "hey guys I think with computers you can do this in a more automatic way"?

You don't even need a goddamn macro you can just run something like sips on the command line and boom thousands of images processed in a few keystrokes

My story about leaving an interview: I went, expecting a normal interview. When I arrived it was this ~6 group of people being interviewed and they said it was gonna take 5 hours and the first thing they ask is to write a motherfucking fizz-buzz implementation on a paper, with pencils, so I said "gently caress this" and left

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 10, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pochoclo posted:

Is this for real lol what the hell were they doing, did they not have anyone even remotely experienced in computers that could have told them "hey guys I think with computers you can do this in a more automatic way"?

It was in 2002, so still very extremely stupid, but still in that era people really really had no idea what was going on with computers. Like in 2019 I am sure you'd find a person still not knowing how to make a macro but I feel like someone would have a concept of it enough it wouldn't get to the job interview stage before someone figured it out.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

wait did you automate away your own job before you'd even got it oocc

this explains so much

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Having done a decent amount of consulting with businesses on the filtering side of the hiring process, I'm going to say that the eyeball approach isn't super common in large companies in the US. Even with smaller companies, an absolutely massive number of resumes are automatically filtered and discarded without ever being seen by a human being. A lot of online job portals are sold as being primarily for the benefit of applicants (look how many jobs you can apply to! It's so easy!), but having applicants who are essentially spamming out resumes absolutely shifts the balance more in the favor of employers.

The first thing I do when dealing with a stack of applicants is throw half the resumes in the trash.

I don't want anyone unlucky working for me.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

The first thing I do when dealing with a stack of applicants is throw half the resumes in the trash.

This probably has a higher success rate than some of the filtering methods I've seen tbh

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shrecknet posted:

Joke's on you, the lucky ones are the people who don't have to work for you. :ocelot: :smugbird:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shrecknet posted:

Some people are gonna think this is a joke.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pochoclo posted:

You don't even need a goddamn macro you can just run something like sips on the command line and boom thousands of images processed in a few keystrokes

I assumed it was like centering a crop around a human face to standardize id photos which should have been difficult to automate back in 2002, but lmao of it isn't then that's a line of bash

B B
Dec 1, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I essentially just negged an employer a few weeks ago. They reached out first via LinkedIn and althought it was a slightly better position than mine, the company itself was way worse (HR consulting nobody cares about instead of leading software vendor, Glassdoor score lower by more than a point) so I was only mildly curious what they might offer. So basically I just made them work around my schedule and took my time with the interviews, and in the end none of us were super happy about the fit so it went nowhere anyway.

A recruiter from Palantir reached out to me a couple weeks ago, and I just let him know I was aware of what they do for ICE and told him politely to gently caress off. I really should have done this instead. :(

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

We *just* had a no-show. Started with a happy disposition and enthusiasm, followed by busting my rear end setting up their workstation and everything up for this person, finishing off with not answering emails, phone calls or any communication. Second one in a row :(

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Entorwellian posted:

We *just* had a no-show. Started with a happy disposition and enthusiasm, followed by busting my rear end setting up their workstation and everything up for this person, finishing off with not answering emails, phone calls or any communication. Second one in a row :(

Do you pay a living wage?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I think it's unfair to criticize applicants for ghosting as long as companies can't be assed to even send a rejection letter for 95% of all applications. Respect goes both ways.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yes, I am trying to get a second job to help pay bills, and multiple places have told me I'll know within the week and then just never say poo poo so I have 0 sympathy whatsoever for companies.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

How are u posted:

Do you pay a living wage?

Around $27-30/hr. Anywhere else in Canada it would be considered an alright wage for the education and driving requirements. It's more the location: Vancouver, B.C. The new employees we got left are either near retirement or they are very young and still living with their parents. Everyone young to middle aged has moved away out into the valley, so the few employees that we do got left either have to make 2 hour commutes from Squamish or Chilliwack, or we're stuck with low-skilled, arbitrary-behavioured locals.

That's my theory anyway. Upper management could be just loving with us.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

or we're stuck with low-skilled, arbitrary-behavioured locals.

What does your company do?

B B fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 12, 2019

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Entorwellian posted:

Around $27-30/hr. Anywhere else in Canada it would be considered an alright wage for the education and driving requirements. It's more the location: Vancouver, B.C. The new employees we got left are either near retirement or they are very young and still living with their parents. Everyone young to middle aged has moved away out into the valley, so the few employees that we do got left either have to make 2 hour commutes from Squamish or Chilliwack, or we're stuck with low-skilled, arbitrary-behavioured locals.

Sounds like your company needs to be more realistic with its expectations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Gaunab posted:

Sounds like your company needs to be more realistic with its expectations.

Yep.

B B posted:

What does your company do?

Health services.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 13, 2019

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Entorwellian posted:

Ok, so you dont.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Entorwellian posted:

The cynic in me reads this and thinks you're offering guys about 40k a year to drive at least four hours a day so they can change people's diapers and bandages, and then complaining that they aren't chomping at the bit.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you're not getting good candidates, maybe you should try...offering more money???

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

I didn't say I own the company or anything like that. Just an employee. I'm just observing what the HR department has to deal with.

The topic was about people no showing at interviews, yeah?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Entorwellian posted:

I don't know much about remote shitholes no one cares about, but Wikipedia tells me that Vancouver is the most populated city in the entire province and the highest population density in the country. I'd guess that an "alright wage" "anywhere else in Canada" might not be very attractive in this particular place. And indeed, the internet also tells me that Vancouver's extremely high "shelter-cost-to-income ratio" (Vancouver's housing costs are the highest of any Canadian city, while its median income is among the lowest of any Canadian city) makes it one of the most unaffordable places to live in the entire world, let alone in Canada.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Maybe your HR department sucks.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Gaunab posted:

Maybe your HR department sucks.

I don't deny this, either.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I was presented with a Myers Briggs at an interview and laughed at the HR person then left. She was furious. gently caress you I'm not working somewhere that wants to pseudoscience me.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I am surprised nobody said the obvious. Maybe the candidate planned to go out for the interview, opened the door, immediately closed it, and went to bed again because it was too Chile outside.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I am surprised nobody said the obvious. Maybe the candidate planned to go out for the interview, opened the door, immediately closed it, and went to bed again because it was too Chile outside.

:golfclap:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

JBP posted:

I was presented with a Myers Briggs at an interview and laughed at the HR person then left. She was furious. gently caress you I'm not working somewhere that wants to pseudoscience me.

It's hilarious how annoyed some people can get at the idea that an applicant might be interviewing a company too. Like, good companies generally understand that interviews are two-way streets, but lots of lovely workplaces or just lovely hiring managers loving hate it. Applicants are there to beg for a position and the "do you have any questions for us?" follow-up is pure formality.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

WampaLord posted:

Spoiler alert - he will not do this and will find a million and one excuses as to why he can't do this one simple trick that would immediately end his woes.

Weird that he hasn't responded since this was pointed out. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Recruiters and much of HR have to be some of the biggest grifters in the private sector. Literally do nothing but pretend to know how to hire The Best People all day long and still get normal-rear end employees.