Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
You aren't paying enough. If you were paying what the work was worth people would show up.

I cancelled a potential interview at the last minute last week. The position required a bachelors degree and 4-5 years industry experience, pay was listed as 'negotiable' or 'based on experience' or some such nonsense. Had to fill out their stupid online form in addition to sending my resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references. Did a phone interview that went great but they punted all questions about pay/benefits to an in person interview. They called to schedule the in-person interview and I said that I wouldn't be moving forward until I've been told how much the position paid and what the benefits were. They waffled but finally stated that they wanted to pay $14/hour. A couple dollars over minimum wage for a bachelors degree and (in my case) 7 years industry experience. I told them to forget the whole thing as I'm currently making more on unemployment.

They knew that what they were paying was hosed and they knew people would be rightfully pissed when they found out, so they kicked the can to the very last possible second when you've already invested tons of labor and time just getting to that point (and they could pressure you to your face).

Looking for a job is 10,000x shittier than hiring, it isn't even comparable (and yes I've done both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

I don't have the pay listed on the ad, either. =P

I'm curious how long you've been looking? Just straight-up not wasting time on opportunities that don't seem worth your time is a solid strategy but you also have to make sure your expectations are tuned realisticly.

Well there's your problem. You're obfuscating important details and that sets off red flags for applicants. There's no reason to hide pay unless its crap/subpar.

Also I'm not the one in this discussion that needs to realistically tune his expectations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

I'm not attacking you, man. Sorry if it came off that way. I'm just curious how many potential matches you're discarding to find the one that meets your expectations.

Maybe it would be better to put, say, the midpoint of the range out front. It kind of gives up a point to bargain around but at least that way everybody knows what to expect.

I'm discarding however many it takes.

Also, bargaining is dumb as gently caress and an absolute chore that does nothing but let you take advantage of people who don't know how (or, more likely, are afraid) to advocate for themselves. Maybe just do the ethical thing and advertise/pay whatever the top of your range is and save yourself and everyone else a lot of headache?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Spoiler alert - he will not do this and will find a million and one excuses as to why he can't do this one simple trick that would immediately end his woes.

Wait till he finds out that their salaries are supposed to go up like every year!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

The worst interview I ever had is a tie between the one where the interviewer blew a huge fart and the one where the interviewer casually lit a cigarette and started chain smoking.