Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

MixMastaTJ posted:

Firstly, if 30% of the wealth you generate puts you above, say, GDP per capita there's a pretty good chance your work is overvalued and your company is ultimately skimming profits from some other workers. Not saying this as a call out or imply you don't deserve what your making, just that in the abstract when I say workers deserve 100% it would account for that sort of thing.

eh i'd say, without knowing any of the relevant details, that it's more likely he's having his labor marginally less exploited due to the advantageous social position he occupies.

granted, said position is almost certainly built on a throne of blood but :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BrandorKP posted:

A invoice for me I would have done tip to tail. From quoting out the job, to the sceduling, to the field work, to the invoicing and reporting, and then possibly to chasing the account if delinquent. That's not going to be the case for like anybody else in any other line of work. I do the whole shebang.

Someone less competent would get my position. I've watched the repercussions of that a couple times now as I've transferred between locations. I can't be specfic.

Ehh, that's what we try to prevent. Remember Tianjin a few years ago. Basically the not for profits mission is to try to prevent that sort of thing. Anything we make gets distributed to all the employees at the end of the year rather equitably too. Salaries / compensation for the bottom of the organization are good and the top is only compensated at like 3-4 times the lowest field employees. I could switch to team throne of blood and I would make so much more money.

I mean, you being in a position to take a job that's fairly compensated to do socially valuable work is 100% built upon the exploitation of the global south. It's good that you're trying to mitigate the effects of it, but that doesn't change the reality of being a subject of capitalism.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
somfin it's really loving obvious you're doing the philosophical debate thing where you try to get your opponent to agree to very specific premises so that you can then knock down that premise.

like I'm guilty of that myself sometimes so I know it's tempting to think that you're doing it so that both parties can agree on the specific meaning of the things they are talking about, but people get really annoyed when you do it because you're trying to get the conversation to follow a specific script that you've conceived of beforehand.

Not only is it really tedious, it undermines the foundation of a good-faith discussion, that being give and take.