Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

wateroverfire posted:

No call, no show, and the interview was set up yesterday afternoon. This is the second one today. Why????
As a general guideline, I prefer to give a week's notice for interviews. That way the interviewee has time to ask their current employer for time off, make childcare and travel arrangements, plan questions and do some research.

That might be overkill, but either way I think you might get a better success rate by giving people a bit more preparation time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

utopianism as a tendency got fairly persuasively debunked by Marx imo there is no world where there aren't boring or unpleasant tasks that nonetheless need doing
This thread has sorta hinted a bit at this, but this assumption usually leads to people being given particularly hazardous jobs. Sweeping home chimneys is correctly consigned to the past, thanks to a development of our heating technologies no longer needing so much heavy and dirty smoke.

Even if we accept we're never going to make human labour completely redundant in providing for everyone's well-being, things do often get better when we challenge our preconceptions about how necessary some of the poo poo work we have to do is, and how necessary human involvement in it is.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

Ok. Those are sort of 3 very different questions so maybe one at a time, we could talk about.

1. What are acceptable methods of determining who is able bodied.

2. What are acceptable methods of determining what work people should do

and

3. What are acceptable methods to compel people to work?
There's something very interesting in question 2 here which you might not necessarily be conscious of. I don't think you're asking the question "What work needs to be done", but rather you're looking at the administrative question of "how does one assign a particular article of work to a particular person".

There is an economic argument that says that it is much better, given two people, for each of them to focus on maximising the utility of their labour by focusing mainly on what they are good at. However, things start to get tricky when everyone present is good at the same thing, and nobody is good at something necessary. In the standard desert island scenario, it's not good for social cohesion for the two people who are good at and enjoy fishing to have the one who is less good at fishing always being the one who goes foraging, which they both hate and neither is good at.

This is where it becomes worth introducing the distinction between work and chore. A chore is something that nobody wants to do, but that has to be done.

Chores shouldn't be what any one person has to spend their work energy doing - they should be assigned in such a way that the burden is fairly shared out, in such a way that the job is done with as little stress and effort as is needed to do it.

So I don't think you make somebody "the garbage person". You can put this on rotation, have everybody who can take their turn doing the garbage, and you appeal to a common sense of fairness and appropriate docking of someone's privileges if they don't do it when it's their turn and the have no excuse. And, if there's somebody who for reasons of health or ability just can't do the garbage, they do the dishes more often, or look after the bills; something else that means they're still doing their bit.

I don't see why national service couldn't be used in a similar way, as long as everyone in society is part of the system and you don't get to buy yourself out of it by virtue of your income or status.