Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Lightning Knight posted:

I came back this morning to do this and you already beat me to it. :argh:

Hmm, so you're saying your supervisor consistently is in the office before you?
*checks something on annual performance review*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You're either ignorant, heartless, or you ain't ever had it as bad as you thought you did.

In the case of some, it's all three.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CharlestonJew posted:

have you tried just advertising the high range of the salary of the position you want to fill OP? Why do people have to bother haggling with you in order for you to pay them what you'd be willing to pay them in the first place? I assume you're not a used car salesman, you don't have to act like one.

What, and treat job applicants like people?!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

doverhog posted:

Finland has strong labour unions, and although I'm not technically a regular employee I still get all the benefits because the union negotiated them, and everyone who works there has union negotiated pay. That is how ít should be. Unionize.

Solidarity forever.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Volkerball posted:

The argument I'm making boils down to "if you are 30 or younger working at a grocery store and not getting by, there are doors open to you to change your situation to one where you are doing well financially." It's getting much harder than it has any right to be because wages aren't growing relative to GDP and haven't in a long loving time, but not that many people literally have no recourse. Few of us are inherently a statistic. I started posting about the $14 an hour for 40 hours thing to point out that even at that level you can get by with some extra cash, simply to make the case that there are attainable goals that can see you have a good life. It wasn't my intention to get bogged down in the minutiae of that exact figure. $14 an hour is not a goal that should be the end goal of your life plan. It's a poo poo wage, and you can do a lot better than that, particularly when you get more experience and get older and further down your career path. A lot of people arguing with me here are doing better than that, and are just trying to make the case that the most amount of people possible will fail. But if you aren't doing well and don't see a way out, and wallow around in these sorts of talking points, you 100% will fail, which doesn't need to be the case.

Take the pell grant and go to community college, and get into a better field. If you've learned everything you're going to learn at your current job, start exploring a lateral move to another company where you can leverage your current income into a higher wage, and have the luxury of being able to turn down the position if it doesn't pay better or offer a significant increase to your future value by giving you more valuable experience. If you live in a city that is getting overtaken by finance and tech sectors, where cost of living is the highest and is only going to get worse, make it a long term goal to leave and go to a place where your dollar will go further. I'm right there with the vast majority of you guys when it comes to the sorts of policies we need to be pushing for when it comes to the social floor and the wage scale, but the reasons why those policies need to come about do not necessitate defeatism.

I started off on in manufacturing at $11 an hour with 0 experience and only a high school degree at a lovely shop, pushing a green button and developing few skills. I leveraged that experience into a $14 an hour position in a bigger city that had community colleges, so I was able to work that job while I was going to community college for a relevant certificate. I leveraged that certificate and my additional experience into a position making $21 an hour, with overtime often available, and where I have a ton of freedom to learn. A co-worker 6 or 7 years ahead of me is leveraging his experience at this shop in his job search and is fielding offers in the $30 an hour range. I fully intend to follow suit after my 401k is 100% vested. If I would've just sat at that first poo poo job getting incremental raises from $11 an hour, doing nothing to increase my value, learning nothing, and wallowing in how bad my life was, how hosed up the economy was, and how stupid the government is, my future 40 year old self would probably be making half of what I am actually primed to make when I turn 40. Obviously not everyone can follow my exact trajectory in this field because it would flood the labor market and drive down wages, but there is definitely a surplus of positions relative to the labor force, because people are retiring exponentially faster than new employees are coming in to this industry. There's similar doors elsewhere in different trades if you look for them. Not everyone has the ability, the means, or the freedom to open those doors, and that, and the solutions, are always going to be worth discussing. But things aren't so bad that it's not worth your time to take a step back from the extremely online discourse we have in D&D and honestly ask yourself why YOU can't.

Hey do me a favor will you? When you get back to the mid-1990s please look me up and recommend I start rogaine as soon as the hair loss starts? Thanks a bunch.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

The study doesn't provide info on their occupations, but given what we know about low-wage work, it's safe to say many of them were working jobs like janitorial or fast food where accumulating more work experience would be unlikely to open further career opportunities for them.

What's worse, from the last time this bullshit came up (in the libertarian thread, unsurprisingly), the more fast food/retail/janitorial experience you have on your resume, the harder it gets to break out of those jobs to anything more remunerative. Employers see it, think "well he's just a slacker who ~*never worked hard or applied himself*~" and move on to the next in the stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Helsing posted:

This would possibly be the most expensive social program ever implemented and would also face deep and entrencehd opposition at every stage of its conception and implementation. The fact you describe it as a "relatively easy to attain" policy is mindboggling.

There is no version that would not face deep and entrenched opposition at every stage of its conception and implementation, regardless of what it cost and no matter how much balls-tongueing it was introduced nor how many appeasing elements were added to it.