Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I essentially just negged an employer a few weeks ago. They reached out first via LinkedIn and althought it was a slightly better position than mine, the company itself was way worse (HR consulting nobody cares about instead of leading software vendor, Glassdoor score lower by more than a point) so I was only mildly curious what they might offer. So basically I just made them work around my schedule and took my time with the interviews, and in the end none of us were super happy about the fit so it went nowhere anyway.

A recruiter from Palantir reached out to me a couple weeks ago, and I just let him know I was aware of what they do for ICE and told him politely to gently caress off. I really should have done this instead. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Entorwellian posted:

or we're stuck with low-skilled, arbitrary-behavioured locals.

What does your company do?

B B fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 12, 2019

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Volkerball posted:

I mean I work at a factory making over $40k on the back of a community college certificate that cost essentially nothing since the pell grant covered all of it, which is enough for a living wage and investments on top of that which will give me all sorts of financial independence later in life. I'm the low man on the totem pole here, but I'm still doing fine and happy, and everybody above me is in the same boat. Like yeah not everyone is going to be successful, but there's a difference between recognizing that, and assuming the game is so rigged against you from the start that you don't even try to pursue any opportunities when the truth is that they are out there for just about anyone.

you should probably educate yourself on the last 40 years of neoliberal economic policy if you think you're not getting hosed by your company

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Volkerball posted:

And a solid chunk of the people on the low end of the scale aren't doomed to be in that situation for the rest of their life. They've just hit a rough patch or haven't gotten their footing in their current/future career path. That's not the case for everyone certainly, and that needs to be addressed yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that most of y'all don't have an excuse.

quote:

September went out hot in East Tennessee. Caleb didn’t mind; he parked his lawn chair in a shallow pool of shade, clipped a small fan to its arm, lit a cigarette, and settled back to wait. It would be more than 12 hours before the free medical clinic opened its doors. Caleb had read about the clinic online, and that it was best to get there early. Hundreds of people were expected to show up.

Caleb had driven up from Georgia to get a cracked tooth pulled. He’s a lean, hard-looking man with a scar running vertically down from his lower lip, the result of a getting bitten by a dog. His teeth are yellowed, many of them dark brown at the gum line. A few years ago, Caleb paid more than $2,000 to have three teeth extracted by a professional, a price that he considered ridiculous. He works odd jobs but wanted me to know that he isn’t poor: He earns enough to own his house and car. “But there’s nothing in the back pocket,” he explained. Since then he’s resorted to pulling teeth on his own, with a pair of hog-ring pliers that he modified for the job. One time he messed up and crushed an aching tooth, leaving a jagged stump embedded in his jaw; he went after that with a chisel and a hammer. He saved a neighbor $300 recently, he claimed, by pulling a tooth for him. “You know what that cost him? Two and a half shots of Wild Turkey 101.”

On the ground beside Caleb sat Michael Sumers, a fellow Georgian with a long neck and wide, darting eyes. Sumers, who never saw a dentist as a child, hoped to get his remaining 14 teeth pulled. He’s only 46 years old. His mouth has hurt him almost constantly for the last five years, but he hasn’t been able to afford any help. Sumers lives on his disability check, and after paying $700 a month in rent, he doesn’t have much left. “I can’t eat steak without my teeth breaking,” he admitted.

Chicken is what broke one of Jessica Taylor’s teeth. Another two were broken by her ex-husband’s fist, when he hit her in the mouth during a fight. I found Taylor sitting on the ground, her back to a tree, a pizza box beside her. “Now I’m here,” she said, explaining why she’d come to the clinic, “and he’s in hell.”

Wealthy Americans spend billions of dollars per year, collectively, to improve their smiles. Meanwhile, about a third of all people living in the United States struggle to pay for even basic dental care. The most common chronic illness in school-age children is tooth decay. Nearly a quarter of low-income children have decaying teeth, well above the national average; black and Hispanic children also experience higher rates of untreated decay. Neither Medicaid nor Medicare is required to cover dental procedures for adults, so coverage varies by state, and both the very poor and the elderly are often left to pay out of pocket. . . . Even middle-class Americans can’t always afford necessary care, as private insurance often will not cover expensive procedures.

Whole lot of Americans going through rough patches; hope they get their footing soon!

B B fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 15, 2019