Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PierreTheMime posted:

The episode owned. I would take an entire season of why just happened.

“I think my parents are mice...”

“That makes sense!”

They're such squares :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Batmasterson posted:

I think the Fitz Simmons stuff has been done so many times in this show that it is now incredibly funny to me, and I hope they never stop doing it.

Pretty much this. Especially with how sudden it was this time.

Also we need them to get back together soon for the amazing "well I married future you then he died. Also, you're scary as gently caress and tortured Daisy"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How come all the aliens seem to know what Terrans are? How come they call us Terrans and not humans?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

just because there haven’t been tons of humans in space doesn’t mean the galaxy isn’t aware of them. The Asgardians for example have the bifrost that goes to earth and have been there

Ah, so everyone's just really well read on obscure backwater planets.

I'm mostly jesting. I did really enjoy Farscapes "what the frell is a Yoo-Man?" moments

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I am a huge fan of sexy murder kiwi.

Also that doctor is a loving idiot. "it looks like he implanted a bird into him with this knife"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Andrew_1985 posted:

Very true. Who do we have now?

The entire cast? (Other than Deke)

Like, they are some seriously good looking people (other than Deke)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

gently caress you Enoch!

Again!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I really like how rather than an epiphany which solves everything their conclusion is "we totally need therapy"

If only there was a convenient SHIELD shrink who was familiar with what they'd been through and also had first-hand experience of dealing with their darker side hurting people they cared about :smith:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Who would have thought that the plucky dweebs would turn out to be such badasses and kinda cold and brutal jesus dude that's messed up I think this guy is legit a psycho.

Like for Fitz there's the poo poo with Daisy, spacing people, the cheese wiring etc etc.

Simmons is kinda behind the curve, what other really cold poo poo has she done other than disintegrate Bakshi?

Chokes McGee posted:

whoops got wooshed :(

I want you to know that this made me very happy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Last season was pretty great, but this year is giving me the same joyously comic vibe as S4. Aliens, clones, fire breathing bikers, it should be completely absurd but everything is done with just the right level of seriousness, it's funny, but never silly.

Kinda hoping Fitzsimmons go on their own little drug tour during their journey home.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

swickles posted:

The first fix wasn't permanent, but once The Doctor took over and got Daisy to quake the gravitonium into the device, it was supposedly a permanent fix.

Also holy poo poo we still need Daisy to confront new Fitz about that. Its gonna own.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Davis was out of shot for just long enough at the end there that I was certain he got Snapped. Then I remembered this wasn't the finale.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Autism Sneaks posted:

idk up until the two-parter there was a lot of Barry-style "stare helplessly while acting panicked" including just gawking as an alien bat climbed inside her boyfriend and letting a dude standing right next to her get impaled by a crystal

I actually kinda like that restriction to her powers - she's not got super reflexes, she has to make a conscious effort to accelerate.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

I think it was the 5 years Mac has known her.

btw the guy who plays Mac is 49!

Everyone on this show is good looking as gently caress.

It's not quite Black Lightning levels, but it's pretty drat close.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PoI is a weird loving show - crime procedural cyberpunk conspiracy mashup. It mostly works though.

It's goofy sense of humour is amazing though - badass vigilantes going all gooey over babies/good dogs in their secret lair, the various machine glitches, fat policeman going on an epic and romantic adventure with a hot Russian (almost entirely offscreen), its barmy.

I like how far the procedural bits run with its premise though.

For the uninitiated - the idea is that the government has a super-AI Panopticon, and our vigilantes have a backdoor to the machine which supplies them the social security number of the eponymous People of Interest, but with no guidance on whether they're the perpetrator or the victim. So the basic gist is they track down the person, figure out what crime is about to happen, and shoot peoples kneecaps until the problem is solved.

But they take that gimmick of "all we have is an SSN" and twist and fold it into every circumstance you care to think of. Multiple people with the same SSN? One person with multiple SSN? Maybe the victim is really the perp? Maybe the perp is really the victim? Maybe the victim is the perp in another crime?
Maybe the perp is the victim of the victim they're the perp for?

It's very agents of shield in the way its genre savvy enough to play around with its premise, but it never makes fun of the premise.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Re-watching S1 and its rough about the edges but it still has some great moments. The end of eye-spy is a legit awesome twist.

FZZT is also pretty emotional, and Fitz faffing about with the parachute while Ward grabs it and jumps without a second thought owns. Makes me feel like he actually did care about them, he probably was a bit sad to drop em in the ocean.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeahhhhhh, there it is! :buddy:

Man, what an ending. I was so sure they were going to solve the Yo-Yo problem by freezing her and then come back and defrost her later.

Also never would've thought that they'd actually just go with 'No, this actually isn't Coulson.' for the Sarge problem. Normally people get out of brainwashing but I guess being a flesh suit is a bit more advanced than that.

Whole episode was great, and I feel like they balance all the different spy/superhero stuff way better than the movies ever did (before the movies became CGI smashy fightman nonsense)

Really looking forward to a Coulson LMD that knows he's an LMD. Coulson lived for SHIELD so I feel he's the most likely person to be okay with him being a robot.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chokes McGee posted:

well they are scottish :haw:

Rory isn't.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I haven't rewatched in a while. Do I have a total block on Amy being abusive or was I just not looking for it?

She was kind of dismissive and constantly treating him as a backup boyfriend when The Doctor wasn't around, and making fun of him for being a nurse and not a doctor.

Eventually it morphed into a weird one-upping when each was trying to prove they were more in love through ridiculous grand gestures like spending 2000 years as a robot roman or leaping into a black hole or some bullshit.

Kind of like Fitzsimmonds, but with none of the playful squabbling , none of the self awareness, none of the actual developing as individuals and a couple.

Fucks sake, when did Fitzsimmonds become relationship goals?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Azhais posted:

Current Doctor is really being let down by the writers having no idea how to do endings

It's really tragic, because the cast are so good. Capaldi was a great irritable Doctor, evil Mary Poppins chewing the scenery was a delight, and Moffat ruined it by being so horribly up his own rear end. Same with the new series - Jodie Whittaker and Bradley Walsh are a fantastic double act (other two are...okay) and they're getting the lamest, blandest plots I've ever seen.

Demons of the Punjab was great though, absolute top-tier of what Doctor Who should be doing with its historical episodes

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Marvel superhero, Disney princess, here's crossing fingers for Jedi.

Given her fighting skills it would seem a waste to not have her be a jedi.

Although "stern and uptight warrior" is already her thing, would be cool seeing her playing someone rougher and looser.

Although the brief glimpses we see of pre-traumatised, happy and chill May are pretty wonderful. The S4 flashback of her flirting with Phil is great, and it's such a :unsmith: moment when she's joking about how her date with some psychologist dude is probably gonna be awful.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Had a rewatch binge of the first four seasons, and holy poo poo everything about Fitzsimmons is wonderful. Simmons slowly turning into a badass spy ("I think jemma has been kidnapped.... 4 or 5 times since I've known her"), the wonderful awkwardness of their early relationship (and a clearly horny Simmons cutting through Fitz's hesitance about sex)

The highpoint has to be when Simmons first sees Aida, pulls Fitz aside to comment on how beautiful she is, and pauses just long enough for the audience to roll their eyes at the incoming forced misunderstanding before revealing she instantly knew aida was a robot.

They skirt a little too close to playing flesh-and-blood Aida as a murderous scorned woman, but I think they do a decent job of focusing on how impossible it is to handle All Human Emotions Ever when they suddenly hit you at the same time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Robot-Aida wanted that (and to be a real person) and it was awesome.

Flesh-Aida was all "raargh love smash hate raargh lightning" and it was a different awesome.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Namnesor posted:

That's fine, I actually just want more Nick Blood

So many marvel actors have better superhero names than their actual characteres - Cobie Smoulders, Sebastian Shan, Nick Blood

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

They'd have to explain what LMDs are first, so I kinda' doubt it.

"Welcome to SHIELD, we have robots now"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Rewatching, on season 4 and on reflection I think Jemma Simmons is my new favourite character. Realistic, incremental development! Actual flaws and bad ideas! Makes mistakes and learns from them!

Gets drunk on time travel! Convinced of own immortality!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm kind of annoyed that they gave away "to save SHIELD, we have to save Hydra" in the trailers, because Koenig's casual "old man Mallick" line was perfectly timed for maximum "wait, what?"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I loved how long they dragged out the punchline of "we had to get creative with Simmon's ID". It reminds of that Mitchell and Webb sketch with the Brain Surgeon, where you can see the punchline coming a mile off, which somehow makes it even funnier.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

I gotta say, Deke really managed to melt into the main cast quite well. Last season, he was more of a weirdo outsider, everyone treated as a liability. Now he has a bit more rapport with his teammates and can contribute stuff.
Maybe it's just the fact that Fitz isn't around to openly disdain him.

"Our beautiful daughter married some space goon and gave birth to a Deke."
By the way, what happened to Deke's mom? I vaguely remember she was sort of already around when last season ended. Is it implied that Jemma gave birth and left the baby with Fitz in the mean time?

He briefly hallucinates her at the end of S5 during all the Fear Dimension stuff, I think you're thinking of that. She's never "really" appeared on screen - she's dead by the future, and there's nothing to indicate Simmons is pregnant. (Although she does throw up from shock when Deke reveals the truth, which kinda comes off as a pregnancy reveal. It's never followed up though)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Did they leave before the jump, or after and then the ship jumped again? If the latter those babies are teens now.

The ship jumped, Mack went out for some air, drove his motorbike like 30 yards, Deke went to check on him, and then the ship jumped again.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bruceski posted:

AoS in the 30s: "haha look at this old-fashioned stuff."
AoS in the 50s: "haha look at this old-fashioned stuff."
AoS in the 70s: "haha look at this old-fashioned stuff."
AoS after I was born: "...that's not funny."

ok, boomer

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Everything about this episode was amazing. Especially when the killbots were drilling into the base, and the drill was still heavily bloodstained.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Also the rookie agents (Skye, Fitz, Simmons) were kind of annoying early on. Less "fresh and untested" and more "childish and immature".

They got better though. And then they just kept on getting better.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Given how awful the S2 integration with AoU was, I'm quite glad they didnt try and line things up more than they did.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Punch-therapy is the most May thing ever. Didnt she do something similar with Daisy back in the day?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Was that the same cross which the agents used to play a fatal game of hot potato? I don't actually remember the exact circumstances, but there was a vision where the one who had it would die in a space shuttle and it kept switching hands.
That thing was cursed!

The exact circumstances are the best bit! Daisy gets a vision from the death-vision guy of somebody floating in space with Elena's crucifix and a SHIELD hoodie.

Elena gives the cross to Mack. Mack tries to return it, Elena scolds him and makes him hold onto it.

Mack leaves it in a hoodie, I think Simmons then finds it.

Next episode, the team all roll out in matching SHIELD hoodies.

It's like the LMD episode - they take a dumb cliche (oooh somebody's a robot!) and just loving run with it so hard it loops back around to being awesome.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Sesq posted:

Inhumans spoiler Karnak The Shatterer, He Who Can See the Flaws in All Things get conked on the head, loses his powers and gets amnesia, winds up helping out at a pot farm, gets laid, and fights the Tuco Salamanca of pot farmers.

He also falls down a cliff in the first episode, which seems like the ideal thing his powers would let him avoid.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Any reason outside of the story why Fitz hasn't been included at all so far this season?

Someone upthread mentioned he took a load of other gigs when the show looked like it was heading for cancellation, so its just a scheduling thing. From wikipedia he's got two TV shows and a short-film out this year.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Masonity posted:

The bloodwork could be evidence of pregnancy? And the pain being not just leaving fitz behind but her baby too?

This would own. Having Fitz be dying of cancer just seems needlessly cruel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Thought the resolution of the threats was a little too convoluted, they had to rattle through a load of stuff that it felt kinda rushed, but also I don't care, because its basically a victory lap at this point, let them kick rear end.

I liked how they didn't focus on the separation of the team, and went more for how special reunions can be. Yeah, it can suck when your friends move away, but those moments when you get back in touch and see how their life has changed, those moments loving own. Probably the best show send-off since New Girl.