Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

1850, really nifty. December seems like the best, to get that christmas convoy rolling. Also fording should be easier if all the rivers are frozen.

I hope you'll cover the importance settlers placed on bringing multiple grandfather clocks. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

6 months 7 oxen. For some reason I suspect skimping on supplies might not be very good for our future prospects.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

have a couple clocks that you take to the very end.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah the supplies were "lost". :argh:

I learned how they made coffee in the wild west from a Lucky Luke comic. First you wet half a kg of coffee in a bit of water and boil it for 30 minutes. Then you add a horseshoe. If the horseshoe doesn't float you add more coffee.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This would set a dangerous precedent that ferries, and bridges, are in any way natural or correct. We should not encourage such immoral behavior. Ford it like god intended.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I... uh... vote we stick to the trail. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Continue as usual you lazy sods. Stop trying to weasel out of it. :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I thought you were not supposed to suck out the venom, or is that the bit that's a misconception?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

If you got sick or injured in the 1850s, you were probably hosed.

quote:

I'm pretty confident that a lot of doctors just started making poo poo up at a certain point and assumed that they were right because they were doctors.
Yeah that's probably too common.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 14, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dong Quixote posted:

Pretty sure Captain Freeman is just making things up as he goes along.

For that rattlesnake bite, like others mentioned he did just about everything wrong. He put on a tourniquette (but loosely?), cut the wound, and tried to suck out the venom, all of which makes things worse. For most people, they just need the wound splinted and to keep it at a neutral level with the heart and to minimize movement - you only need the antivenin if you start getting weird clotting problems with your blood or if the limb swells up too much.

Another interesting thing about snake bites is the "6 Ts of snakebites" rules of thumb which describes who usually gets bitten, at least in the modern US - testosterone, tequila, tattoo, tank top, teasing, and tank. Basically the people who get bitten are usually male (80%), have been drinking, have a tattoo, are unemployed (and wearing a wife beater), were messing with the snake, and the biting snake was a pet. Jimmy likely has a bright future ahead of him in California.

Regarding that cholera episode which is tons of watery diarrhea, laudnum actually isn't a bad choice back in the 1800s like someone else mentioned. You can get something similar today for diarrhea over the counter, called loperamide or Imodium. Opiates cause you to become constipated and in the case of cholera may decrease watery secretion in the intestines. Now, for bloody diarrhea giving anti-diarrheals are real bad because in some cases it causes bacterial toxins to stay stuck in the intestines insetad of being passed.

For foraging there's also a neat rule we can use when we find berries. Blue/purple/black berries are 90% safe to eat, and berries that are in clusters (aggregate berries), at least where we are on the oregon trails are will always be safe. Red berries are a coin flip, and white or green berries are usually dangerous. I remember a video I saw in a survival course a life time ago recommended watching to see what fruits or vegetables primates would eat if there were any around, and then eating those. And then also eating the primate.
That's pretty cool.

But how many primates are there on the Oregon trail. Uh... beyond the obvious. There's so much whining if we shoot and eat those. And eating whatever they do might not be a good idea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Visit the fort, write a postcard to the goons left behind wishing they weren't here etc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mechanical Ape posted:

Someone needs to code a spinoff where you're a scavenger living on the stuff that falls off passing wagons.

Thousands of suckers bumbling west to die of frostbite and dysentery. Meanwhile in your camp 10 mi west of Independence, MO, you're sleeping warm on a dragon's hoard of gently used bacon, laudanum and grandfather clocks.
I strongly approve. Sleeping inside the clocks, rising at dusk to feast.

Setting up nets downstream from the ford points seems like it would be a good idea.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Maybe it works better in winter?
crashing down the hill
in a four-ox open cart
through the fords we go
crying all the way

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One thing I've always wondered about this journey, what happens when you reach the destination? Do you need money to buy some land? Do they have to build a house from scratch? How do they not starve/freeze to death in winter?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Double-team and continue. Also push the oxen if it doesn't work.

chitoryu12 posted:

Unfortunately, this wouldn't last. Constant grazing and trampling by passing animals steadily reduced the amount of insulating peat and the water was poisonous, until by the 1860s it was a sandy hole surrounded by animal carcasses.
:patriot:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well we've already been told what a great idea it is to take shortcuts across deserts. But it would mean not dealing with more mormons. Touch choice. Eh, screw it:
Go for the fort.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Bridger or Hall?
Bridger. Sorry for not specifying but only one of the options had the word fort in it. :spergin:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Accept the deal. Surely they're not as deceitful as us savages. (savages savages)

Cythereal posted:

No idea if the game tracks it or not, but I like the idea of being nice to the Native Americans.
But that might lure them into believing settlers are in any way trustworthy. :ohdear:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

So, uh, hope none of you guys are black.
Racism against black people? In America? Well I never. :stare:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chew 'em up, an' spit 'em out. Clear those rocks away.

Oh and the history is very interesting. Thank you for providing it. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keep following the proper path, you'll get dessert instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vavrek posted:

I like to imagine the entire wagon party shouting and arguing about different ways of dealing with the pile of rocks. By the time the next wagon arrived, our party is sullenly not speaking to each other any more.
Sounds very probable.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Will the river really change that much in a few days?

Float that chalk.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Continue to Fort Hall. I don't trust your fancy short cuts. How do we even know these water kegs work properly? Did they come with the latest software update this far out?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Um, why haven't we been robbed yet? Do we keep our money in our goony socks?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Double-team the goons.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Black Robe posted:

Also I'm fairly sure you use different ropes and chains every time until you run out and can't pick that option any more, I guess instead of coiling them up and putting them back in the wagons afterwards we just leave them on the ground and carry on our merry way.
What? :psyduck:

That's incredibly stupid and wasteful even by today's standards when you can just walk into a store anywhere along the route and just buy some cheap mass produced rope.

I don't care anymore just put everything in the cart, including the oxen, and continue full speed down the hill.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Wagon repair parts, coffee mill and more coffee.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keep on truckeen. Honk honk.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Berate the animals for being lazy, and then magically double them.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only thing we buried was the clock. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eat everything, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Keep going, they're dead but that way we won't lose any time.

MagusofStars posted:

I would love to know how the hell you lose shoes and socks when a wagon topples over on a hill. Can’t you just like...pick them up off the ground?
You'd pick up and wear a shoe that's been lying on the ground?!? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Float our chalk.

Seeing who is around at a place called Rattlesnake Pass sounds like a bad idea.