Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, same here. I remember being excited whenever my teacher would break out the Apple IIs, because it meant that we got a break from listening to history lectures and got to play a computer game.
Same. Our elementary school only had two games total*, but it was always a delight in second grade to get to play some computer games rather than yet another lecture on state history or another quiz on addition/multiplication tables (do kids even learn these any more?).

*This, plus a game where you delivered pizza to like aliens using pulleys and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Sacramento
The majority vote on year seemed pretty clear that the whole intent of leaving in 1850 was to be a late-comer to the gold rush, so this seems pretty obvious.

Independence, MO
According to Wikipedia, this city is nicknamed the "Queen of the Trails" because all the major trails went through here. Sounds good.

Large Wagon
No real reason, so just picking the middle ground.

Gunsmith
The namesake of our brave leader, Commander Keene, carries a raygun at all times. Seems appropriate. Also, from a meta-gaming perspective, this gives a nice starting pile of money; let's not jump too far into the deep end in game 1.

Adventurer
Making dumb decisions, getting fired halfway and then spending months criticizing our successor for his decisions? That's the most American way to handle things!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

A ‘little’ tricky? Three feet isn’t deep. Ford that poo poo.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

My vague (probably wrong) understanding of California geography is that Truckee is near the Sierra Nevada mountains. Gold ahoy!!!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

In that case lets wait until sunset and cross the desert at night. You know, like normal people who don't want to cook to death.
This.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Same as before, I suppose - double team to go up and rope'n'chain to come down. It's worked so far.
:emptyquote:

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

We just went through a desert, therefore a place named after a water feature makes sense. Cold Stream.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I note a disappointing lack of grandfather clocks in the inventory. Also more bullets.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I’m stunned we did so well. Not only did nobody die, IIRC we only had one decision even go wrong - the failure to ford the river...and even that didn’t really hurt us.

Start this poo poo anew and let’s fail in style. I’d like to be one of the future (past?) party members if there’s space.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

If there’s anything I know about the 1840’s (there isn’t), it’s that they solved all problems by getting shitfaced. Use that alcohol.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Have we actually traveled ANY distance since the sprained shoulder? Or are we still sitting in the same spot?

Slow down. Let’s make some progress at least. Also, we can’t keep using alcohol because our brave leader is almost certainly ready to start chugging it 24/7 while waiting for the next crisis.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

IllegallySober posted:

If we are counting from top-left clockwise (which is what I think we did last time?) keep 1,2, and 4.
This seems to make sense.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Eopia posted:

Wait, you're not counting votes for only keeping certain plants as votes against the ones to not keep? So someone has to explicitly say 'keep 1, 2, 4, throw away 3'?
Yeah, I thought when I was quoting the “keep 1,2,4” that meant 3 was being left.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The hill “doesn’t look very steep”. Just continue down normally, no need to get fancy.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

We already passed up Deep Sand once so let's go to South Pass.
This is pretty good reasoning.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

CirclMastr posted:

Double-team has never failed us.

Unless it has, in which case double-team is due for a win.
I don't think it has failed us, which means we should keep doing it until it does.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I would love to know how the hell you lose shoes and socks when a wagon topples over on a hill. Can’t you just like...pick them up off the ground?

Make him comfortable. The plus side of being the first dude who dies on an ill-fated expedition is that you at least get to die in relative comfort, unlike the last couple guys when everything is hosed beyond repair.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Vavrek posted:

In our delirious mourning, eat all of them.
:emptyquote:

Also, since we’re about to totally wipe the expedition anyways, I would like to see the “gently caress it, leave the corpse in the road and keep going” option rather than a polite burial.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Double-teaming hasn't failed us yet!

JustJeff88 posted:

I missed something on this run... you started the game with gently caress-all moneys because you're a teacher and, as I can attest, they earn shite wages. You spent most of it at the start of the game as per usual, but you've stopped at a few shops along the way and you had a bunch of money again... what did I miss? Seriously not taking the piss; I'm genuinely confused. I thought that the point of the low-money professions was to spend all of the player's money at the start of the game and then have to get by with tuppence in the pocket and eating sand for nourishment.
So I just checked back the updates real quick. We started with $425 and had $12.28 left after the initial burst of shopping before starting the trail. The next time that money was listed for buying stuff was a couple pages later, the game shows us with $512.25, right before Meaty Ore got pneumonia and :rip:.

I didn't see anything listed in the intermediate updates explaining where the extra ~500 bucks came from.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Toss, Eat, Eat, Toss

I can't believe double-teaming failed us, and I can't believe we lost our rifle!!!
This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

If you're the trail guide, yes. If morale drops low enough, you get kicked off the job and are left stranded permanently where they leave you. If you're an Adventurer you just get demoted and have to follow the main route.
True, but we’re already running the galaxy brain countermove: Get everyone sick and starving first. They can’t maroon us if they’re already dead!