Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

James Peach posted:

I like the concept of being late, but if we're going to do that, I'd choose June of 1843. May 22nd, 1843 was the first time a wagon train of at least 1000 people was assembled to walk the Trail; to be a part of a group that missed that boat would also get a chuckle out of me.

To actually beat them to Oregon would be even better.

I second this notion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The solution to cholera is quite simple, but wasn't on our list. Which is historically accurate, so it's all good.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Let's see who's around.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

chitoryu12 posted:

Waiting until sunset lets us make some time with no problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8-bQsOxkc

We're closing on the end of our Montgomery interludes. As Jed talks about, the Whitman mission near Walla Walla, WA was massacred in 1847 due to fears of white encroachment on Cayuse land and a measles outbreak that killed half the local Cayuse population. 13 settlers (including Dr. Marcus and Narcissa Whitman) were killed, resulting in the US military battling the Cayuse for 8 years; their population as of 2010 was 304. If you pass down the Oregon Trail prior to the massacre you can actually meet the Whitmans.

And another river!

I've actually been to the remains of the mission. I did not meet the Whitmans. Fortunately.