Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

CirclMastr posted:

Let's set out in April of 1850 because it's more amusing to me if we're late to the Gold Rush.

This seems fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

chitoryu12 posted:

Farming/animals (40) makes your entire party immune to smallpox

Oh, that's a nice touch. Not voting for it though, where would be the fun in that.

We want Spanish so we don't miss out on anything. Musical, obviously. Sewing because nobody wants nekkid goons. And I suppose the rest should probably be spent on things that might help us actually survive, so botany, cooking and riverwork?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Sounds about right. :munch:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That seems like quite a lot of stuff to have lost in not much over knee-deep water.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Poil posted:

One thing I've always wondered about this journey, what happens when you reach the destination? Do you need money to buy some land? Do they have to build a house from scratch? How do they not starve/freeze to death in winter?

A bit of both, from what I understand. There were big companies and brokers who sold or leased parcels of land to people before they went, and others who went out there to grab land to sell or lease to new arrivals. In some areas there were farms already sort-of established with some sort of rudimentary housing, in others you had to build everything when/if you made it there. If you were early enough to get good land, and brought good supplies with you, and travelled at the right time, you could be established and have some sort of crop before winter. Otherwise you and your family died and someone else got to buy your land and try their luck, sucks to be you.

Also depended on why you were going out there - some wanted their own places, some wanted to work for others, some believed they'd strike gold as soon as they arrived.

I could be wrong, I've only read partially fictionalised accounts/historical novels, but that's the impression I got.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Dash Rendar posted:

why does the team have so few clocks???

A previous group of travellers really cornered the market and bought up the entire supply.

Commander Keene posted:

So what's with the thread's obsession with grandfather clocks? Is it an in-joke from some previous LP?

https://lparchive.org/Oregon-Trail-(by-Chewbot)/

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oops, Chewbot's LP isn't the one with the grandfather clocks, he was playing a version that didn't have specific items like furniture. My bad.

Pretty sure the mountain of clocks and lard was https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2568680 (archives required)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm learning things! I'd never heard of the Ice Slough. I've seen it in this game before but never took the time to look it up and find out why it was called that.

Double-team to climb the steep hill?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Are we able to look at our inventory and see how much water we have? Seems to me we should take the cutoff if we have enough water, go to Bridger and try to trade for some if we don't.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

That's probably worth it, since we can replace that in a single hunt. (While leaving ten times the amount strewn across the landscape.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Well, that's not ominous at all.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Wow, we're utterly useless. How do you even fail at picking up rocks and putting them down somewhere else. We have oxen for the big ones. Sheesh.

Keep going to Fort Hall, we need to resupply.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

CirclMastr posted:

5 year olds can't drink whiskey (or can they?) so I say ford it.

Sure they can. Anything with some sort of mouth can drink whiskey. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, necessarily, though it would definitely stop the endless "Are we there yet?" that I imagine five year old you has been inflicting on the group.

Since three feet's a coin toss, I say ford just to save time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Double up

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

paragon1 posted:

I've never really understood how the going down hills stuff was resolved. Also the penalty for your wagon tipping while ascending and descending doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. You lose a bunch of stuff, which makes sense with rivers because it could all be ruined by moisture or get swept down stream or fall out of sight. But with a mountain trail shouldn't you be able to just like, pick it all up?

Ropes and chains I guess.

Questions like this are the reason I get very frustrated with a lot of survival games.

Also I'm fairly sure you use different ropes and chains every time until you run out and can't pick that option any more, I guess instead of coiling them up and putting them back in the wagons afterwards we just leave them on the ground and carry on our merry way.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I might be misremembering, it's been a long time, but I'm sure I remember running out of rope for some reason.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hastings Cutoff, you say? I get a good vibe from that name, I'm sure nothing bad could possibly happen there.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Looks like we could use more coffee and cornmeal. And wagon bits if they have any that we don't have, I think we've used our spare tongue. If I'm remembering correctly about ropes and chains being finite we should grab some more of those too if possible, unless this place just has food.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Same as before, I suppose - double team to go up and rope'n'chain to come down. It's worked so far.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We should try and speedrun the game now we're so good at it. Travel at top speed, slide down every hill, take every shortcut.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Epicurius posted:

Kind of late, but lets see what Dr. Gunn recommends to treat pneumonia. (It includes more foot soaking, and also a bunch of vomiting)

I've come to the conclusion that Dr. Gunn's medical philosophy is, "If the patient can survive the treatment, he'll survive pretty much anything."

The sad part is some of that stuff would actually be helpful if it wasn't countered by all the other stuff.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Oh boy, strangers! They probably have candy! Let's go say hi. :buddy:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Aw, the strangers didn't have any candy. Maybe they make taffy at Salt Lake?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

UED Special Ops posted:

Noticed in the screenshot for Echo Canyon that it said we had no fruit or vegetables, so stopping and resting might not be a very good idea. Thus if possible see who is around to trade for that stuff.

Trade? Real men forage for mysterious plants and test them on a convenient small child.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Truthkeeper posted:

Take them all

Why the hell do we have 200 pounds of biscuits and 500 pounds of corn meal, but we're so low on essentials?

The river gods demand many sacrifices of bacon and coffee. They seem indifferent to biscuits and cornmeal.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vavrek posted:

In our delirious mourning, eat all of them.

I have no idea what C is, pretty sure the other three are all good, so let's roll the dice and get chomping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The big yellow flower looks like dandelions which are good food. The little yellow one looks similar enough that it's probably fine. Eat 'em all.