Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Tracking, Animals, Cooking, Musical
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlGUwb2R5sQ

On an Oregan-Trail-Learning note, the (quack) medical history podcast Sawbones did an ep on Oregan Trail medicine, if anyone wants to do homework / get ready to die. The correct medicine is always opium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

TLDR: Raw meat is the poo poo.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

At least you know the time of death.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

6 months, 7 oxen, and a mule named Lowtax.

In my head these cutscenes are going to gradually get less and less chirpy till it ends up like When the Wind Blows.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Good catch, I didn't notice the surname and was wondering about how a black guy was just hanging around.

Those kids seem hella chipper for people who just lost their ma. Life made them so hard back then.

Regarding most of the medicines not doing anything, check out that podcast I linked upthread - "Not doing anything" is probably pretty accurate for the time period.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

We'll have plenty of time to drown later. When no-one's watching and laughing. Take the ferry.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ1ZOFNBL68
Dramatic re-enactment

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Cholera causes massive diarrhea dia = 'though', rhea = 'flow' and opiates cause constipation. Therefore, we should guzzle laudinum to balance out the cholera.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Not one of those kids is making GBS threads uncontrollably, 3/10

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I don't know what locking the wheels means, but let's do it!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Food, drugs, time. We got money, let's spend it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sand gets everywhere, sod that. Three crossings.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

We're not gonna find any good water at a salt lake, so let's take the shortcut!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sure, we can just murder more buffalo.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Our luck will not desert us!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Steeper hills means less of them, right? Go for it!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What gets me is how this is all just a few decades before million-man armies in WW1, the disconnect is jarring.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I think I understand old people a bit more. At least the wild staring eyes.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, it took me a few seconds to work out what the bear was. But it's an edutainment thing, it having any graphics at all is enough to impress me. :corsair:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ford to victory!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ropes and chains

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Think of how much TIME we could save with the cutoff! Think how many abandoned wagons we'll find!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

How many grandfather clocks do they have in?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Truckeeeeee!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Get drunk.

Then pretend it's not there.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Let's stop and rest on quicksand, nothing could possibly go wrong!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

megane posted:

Caulk and float never fails. It can only be failed.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Black Robe posted:

Same as before, I suppose - double team to go up and rope'n'chain to come down. It's worked so far.

:goleft:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

:ohdear: poo poo, it must be bad if we're having fever dreams this vivid.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Walk it off. Keep active.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Do a barrel roll then caulk and float.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Go commando.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Can we make it a standing order to always ask for advice? Like any good goon-wagon, we should paralyse ourselves with a million different opinions before ignoring them all and doing something dumb.

(Also, I wanna see what the game has to say.)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Make them walk behind as we carry on as normal. Don't want to spread the plague!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Epicurius posted:

I've come to the conclusion that Dr. Gunn's medical philosophy is, "If the patient can survive the treatment, he'll survive pretty much anything."

I don't get how you get from 'lungs are hosed up' to 'make them vom constantly'. Like, he knows lungs and stomach are seperate things, right?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

PetraCore posted:

it's not like you could physically go and clean out the lungs or w/e.

[citation needed] :colbert:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

OH HAI NEW BESTIES GLOMP ^_^

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

UED Special Ops posted:

Noticed in the screenshot for Echo Canyon that it said we had no fruit or vegetables, so stopping and resting might not be a very good idea. Thus if possible see who is around to trade for that stuff.

Works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've played roguelikes before, you always quaff ID poo poo you find laying around. You can only get poisoned once, but you can eat the edible ones repeatedly! :eng101:

Oh, and Ford I guess.