Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

it doesn't actually pay more. it always comes with a shitload of management-lite work that the actual managers cant or wont do. it's a way to play on developers ambitions to extract more value without actually having to provide reward. don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is tech

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
what if i told you that *all* titles are bullshit

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

florida lan posted:

what if i told you that *all* titles are bullshit

no way

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
wats the diff between a jr dev and a sr dev

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

barkbell posted:

wats the diff between a jr dev and a sr dev

https://twitter.com/DEVOPS_BORAT/status/299178520377192448?s=20

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
being a tech lead is good because it’s management lite without actually being management

most tech leads I know get paid more too

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i have 3 different business cards with 3 different titles depending on the client we meet

pram
Jun 10, 2001

yard salad posted:

it doesn't actually pay more

looks like you got hosed op lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lead this to the gas chamber :xd:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

j/k op this is a good thread I’ve never seen a tech lead position in my lifetime so I guess my life is cool and good sorry about my previous post and sorry about tech leads being a thing

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

pram posted:

looks like you got hosed op lol

yep lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
tech lead means that when you have a stupid argument about where the semicolons go you get to say "i'm the tech lead therefore my opinion is correct" and that's a far more important benefit than more money.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
love too watch the trend of undermanagement under the guise of 'distributed responsibility' and the expectation that formal project management is for non-agile nerds. 'leads' these days sure do seem to just be another thing to prop up executive sinecures

but yep not like that means better pay

anyway eat your manager and their managers

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

psiox posted:

love too watch the trend of undermanagement under the guise of 'distributed responsibility' and the expectation that formal project management is for non-agile nerds. 'leads' these days sure do seem to just be another thing to prop up executive sinecures

but yep not like that means better pay

anyway eat your manager and their managers

i like the idea of distributed responsibility. i guess it works pretty well in open source projects, but i've never worked for anything but total hierarchical companies. weird things happen when managers try to distribute responsibility with the tech lead title

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

tech lead means that when you have a stupid argument about where the semicolons go you get to say "i'm the tech lead therefore my opinion is correct" and that's a far more important benefit than more money.

as long as the architect doesn't overhear

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

yard salad posted:

as long as the architect doesn't overhear

if the architect overhears then you tell them that of course you're doing everything exactly as they told you to do, just like every time they send you another design document that you delete without reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

as someone who's been both a tech lead and and architect, I