Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
for anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mostly picking which text editor to use for your whole life

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u4ZLmTQcoQ

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it’s what you get from clown college

:haw:

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
u can get a degree in counter strike???

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hunh

absolutely nuthin

say it again y'all

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

no thats an mfa

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
not much dogg what's a cs degree with you

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

true

animist
Aug 28, 2018
a cs degree is a land of contrasts

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's a tool of the bourgeoisie to prevent peasants from attaining high paying tech jobs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

looks like someone didn't get a BS CS Top 50

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
it's a consolation prize for maths drop-outs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

top 50

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

qirex posted:

mostly picking which text editor to use for your whole life

CS 101: vim & emacs: which side are you on?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Vomik posted:

CS 101: vim & emacs: which ide are you on?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Epic Rap Battle: Tabs versus Spaces

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qhat posted:

It's a tool of the bourgeoisie to prevent peasants from attaining high paying tech jobs

just go to a javascript bootcamp, it's the same thing as a cs degree.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

not much but it determines which college athletics you follow for the rest of your life so choose wisely

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ADINSX posted:

not much but it determines which college athletics you follow for the rest of your life so choose wisely

pass the conditionals and roll drat tide

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

it's a consolation prize for maths drop-outs

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my cs degree was a poo poo-ton of math and the people who were too stupid to pass calculus 2 or whatever ended up in CIT, which is the CJ degree

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i was just too stupid to pass partial differential equations 2

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my cs degree was a poo poo-ton of math and the people who were too stupid to pass calculus 2 or whatever ended up in CIT, which is the CJ degree

same, except i'm considerably dumb and still managed to stumble through calc

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

cs is where you learn topics from 1972 taught by people who think programming is a branch of mathematics

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a CS degree teaches you computing theory. this is entirely useless to 90% or recipients, whose main challenge after graduation is making some lovely middlewear spit out a web page that only renders in ie6. on rare occasion one of the graduates will remember what a data structure is, and perhaps use it to make their O(n^3) operation not time out.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sweevo posted:

cs is where you learn topics from 1972 taught by people who think programming is a branch of mathematics

its in the math department :colbert:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

a traditional cs degree is basically a degree in applied mathematics that no one outside of the field realises

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yeah the only programming classes I had was one in assembly for microcontrollers, one on "modern programming languages" which included a bit of ML, Prolog, and Java, and one on "event driven programming". Also had a course on digital logic and implementing poo poo in VHDL. Everything else was math, theory of computation, various calculus, algorithms, and lots and lots of proof writing.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
your matriculation is a piece of poo poo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

The Management posted:

a CS degree teaches you computing theory. this is entirely useless to 90% or recipients, whose main challenge after graduation is making some lovely middlewear spit out a web page that only renders in ie6. on rare occasion one of the graduates will remember what a data structure is, and perhaps use it to make their O(n^3) operation not time out.

it's this

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i feel bad for people with poo poo jobs right out of college doing dumb javascript stuff.

my first job was optimizing algorithms used to process a fairly massive dataset in a faster time, as well as add new functionality. sure it was all ANSI-C, and targeted a SPARC64 Solaris system, but at least I was doing things like reducing time complexity, implementing a polygonal map quadtree to speed up polygon intersection/overlap/coverage tests, and reducing data compilation time from 2 weeks down to a few days. i've yet to write anything that runs in a browser.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

jimmyjams posted:

u can get a degree in counter strike???

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

akadajet posted:

just go to a javascript bootcamp, it's the same thing as a cs degree.

Yes and no. The topics are the same. Nevertheless, the bourgeoisie never fail to expend capital to modify society for their benefit, as a result don't expect to get any high paying jobs with only that useless prole qualification.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
tbh i think the closer you get to hardware the more actual engineering you do. i don't remember poo poo from my math classes but the compilers / circuits / signal processing stuff still sticks with me

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I dunno but eventually I'll have 3 of them

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

wait 4

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

a miserable pile of credit hours

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles