Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

top fiddy b s c s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sweevo posted:

cs is where you learn topics from 1972 taught by people who think programming is a branch of mathematics

this is the most accurate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

what sort of classes would a more usefully practical four year computer... idk, call it computer engineering? practical compsci?... want

i want intro to pointers. gotta corrupt em fast

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i nerver got a cs degree. the only difference i think this has made is that i use the yellow yospos theme

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

i also dont know vim or emacs!

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yard salad posted:

i nerver got a cs degree. the only difference i think this has made is that i use the yellow yospos theme

a cautionary tale for the ages

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

about 200,000 dollars, op

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Bloody posted:

about 200,000 dollars, op

lmao if you spend that much on a degree

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

what sort of classes would a more usefully practical four year computer... idk, call it computer engineering? practical compsci?... want

i want intro to pointers. gotta corrupt em fast

*null

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
one of my cs profs was so bad it took them an entire class to explain what big o was

also the jump from cs 101 to cs 201 was :pwn:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
cs 101 final project: build an original five function class, you have two weeks

cs 201 first assignment: write an algorithm to traverse this red-black tree due in two days

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

my friend's current cs professor is extremely extra
first day's assignment was get 100% on two quizzes
on top of that on the first day review of his project the professor was like "i'm disappointed how little progress you guys have made. all you have done is connect on slack and one of you installed visual studio. you will not be making anything in c# so why did they install visual studio? are you even clear of the project goals? you should have [designed algorithm] by now. i look forward to your report tomorrow showing much more promise for your team"

my friend said his team didn't get any info on what they were doing and when he asked for the project specification the professor linked him 8 hours of video of the professor explaining it

this is all still in the first day

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
preparing them for industry i see

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my CS senior design/capstone project made me work with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and computer engineers to build a robot that could climb a rope and detect a round red target on the ground ~25ft away and hit it with darts.

we were given nothing to start with, and the school shelled out a few hundred bucks per team for materials.

it was a good school. i mean, it was a local public university that i commuted to, but it ruled.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

graph posted:

:same:

but then things got easier again going to 3 & 400 level classes. maybe it’s not actually “easier” but more interesting and less trying to weed you out

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
orgo remains to this day one of the most brutal weeding methods ive ever seen

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i would describe it as being actually cruel

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

my CS senior design/capstone project made me work with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and computer engineers to build a robot that could climb a rope and detect a round red target on the ground ~25ft away and hit it with darts.

we were given nothing to start with, and the school shelled out a few hundred bucks per team for materials.

it was a good school. i mean, it was a local public university that i commuted to, but it ruled.

that owns

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

This owns. My school only did company sponsored projects and the company that we got wanted us to create hadoop from scratch.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the guy who taught my assembly programming class didn't understand that numbers were binary inside the registers.

the first assignment was to write a function that took a number and constructed a string showing the binary representation. he got pissy when mine was about a dozen lines of shifts and checking flags instead of the page-long divide + remainder algorithm he was so pleased with

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
a cs degree is like a css degree

transform: rotate(360deg);

you're back where you started op

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

one of my cs profs was so bad it took them an entire class to explain what big o was

it's not appropriate for professors to talk about the big o with students

Sweevo posted:

the guy who taught my assembly programming class didn't understand that numbers were binary inside the registers.

the first assignment was to write a function that took a number and constructed a string showing the binary representation. he got pissy when mine was about a dozen lines of shifts and checking flags instead of the page-long divide + remainder algorithm he was so pleased with

i was pleasantly surprised the other day when i explained a couple of bitwise operations to one of my better arduino students and he got it and was able to implement them correctly in his project.

your story makes me angry.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

please do not discuss japanese cartoons in yospos

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Stymie posted:

please do not discuss japanese cartoons in yospos

Ye Guilty

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
A miserable pile of Linear Algebra, OP.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Ither posted:

Ye Guilty

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

graph posted:

orgo remains to this day one of the most brutal weeding methods ive ever seen

graph posted:

i would describe it as being actually cruel

on the first day of orgo 2 the professor taught us how to synthesize meth and then lectured over 5 entire book chapters in an hour

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

whats orgo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nothing, what’s orgo with you?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

organic chemistry 1 and 2

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
OK i'll bite

what's computer

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

theodop posted:

OK i'll bite

what's computer

computer balls

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

theodop posted:

OK i'll bite

what's computer

rocks with math inside

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

OldAlias posted:

rocks with math inside

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

PokeJoe posted:

on the first day of orgo 2 the professor taught us how to synthesize meth and then lectured over 5 entire book chapters in an hour

same

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

HoboMan posted:

that owns

it did. it was probably the hardest/longest i've ever worked on something since. just debugging and experimenting with different hardware non-stop.

spent a lot of time going into home depot for things to cannibalize for parts. we were ordering motors and gearboxes from all over the world and spending a ton shipping, and it turned out the best motor we could possibly get was by tearing apart a power drill. geared down for a ton of torque for dirt-cheap.

got me my job right out of school, too. :toot:

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
alternatively op, it's $10 same as in town

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

theodop posted:

OK i'll byte

what's computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I really enjoyed organic chem. I think people make the mistake of trying to memorize everything instead of actually learning how things work.