Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's a tool of the bourgeoisie to prevent peasants from attaining high paying tech jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

akadajet posted:

just go to a javascript bootcamp, it's the same thing as a cs degree.

Yes and no. The topics are the same. Nevertheless, the bourgeoisie never fail to expend capital to modify society for their benefit, as a result don't expect to get any high paying jobs with only that useless prole qualification.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but the tech billionaires keep telling us that degrees are worthless

Reverse psychology

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

i'm glad i got a software engineering degree because it mostly focused on actually useful things like design scoping, automated testing, design patterns, architecture, etc etc. poo poo that you actually need if you're going to build something without it turning into a massive pile of poo poo (all my work products are giant piles of poo poo anyways)

Spoiler: it all turns into a massive pile of poo poo after a long enough period of time

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lampey posted:

you need the degree to get interviews for your first job. hopefully your first job is as a junior dev, and not QA or a tester because it has a large impact on your career outlook and lifetime earnings. and you don't strictly need the degree to get an interview. the college classes do not actually prepare you to pass the interview(both because college classes largely do not cover what you will actually be doing, and interview are also not testing what you will be doing, it is mostly a test to see if you think like the interviewer), or do the job. the first 6 months or so of your first job will be mostly training with little productive work. and realistically you need many years of training/experience before you can work without supervision.

Unfortunately not having that degree still follows you around after your first job. I've known people who didn't go the degree route because they had a job straight out of high school, end up leaving their company after 10 years and end up going to school anyway because they were struggling to get their feet in the front door at many places. I'm not saying it's right, but just that it happens more than you'd think.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

are they getting passed over because they don't have a computer degree or because they don't have a degree period

because i know there are other jobs out there where HR perversely doesn't care what four year degree you have as long as you've got one

that was literally half my motivation to finish my bachelor's degree right there

I don't know, I just know that was the person's motivation for going to University (he was 28 and in the same year as me). His first couple of jobs were not well known companies by any means and I think one of them was also defunct at the time he was searching, so an observer who didn't know any better might've not bother to give the benefit of the doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Monkeys shouldn't program computers