Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
my cs degree was a poo poo-ton of math and the people who were too stupid to pass calculus 2 or whatever ended up in CIT, which is the CJ degree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sweevo posted:

cs is where you learn topics from 1972 taught by people who think programming is a branch of mathematics

its in the math department :colbert:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
yeah the only programming classes I had was one in assembly for microcontrollers, one on "modern programming languages" which included a bit of ML, Prolog, and Java, and one on "event driven programming". Also had a course on digital logic and implementing poo poo in VHDL. Everything else was math, theory of computation, various calculus, algorithms, and lots and lots of proof writing.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
i feel bad for people with poo poo jobs right out of college doing dumb javascript stuff.

my first job was optimizing algorithms used to process a fairly massive dataset in a faster time, as well as add new functionality. sure it was all ANSI-C, and targeted a SPARC64 Solaris system, but at least I was doing things like reducing time complexity, implementing a polygonal map quadtree to speed up polygon intersection/overlap/coverage tests, and reducing data compilation time from 2 weeks down to a few days. i've yet to write anything that runs in a browser.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Bloody posted:

about 200,000 dollars, op

lmao if you spend that much on a degree

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
my CS senior design/capstone project made me work with mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and computer engineers to build a robot that could climb a rope and detect a round red target on the ground ~25ft away and hit it with darts.

we were given nothing to start with, and the school shelled out a few hundred bucks per team for materials.

it was a good school. i mean, it was a local public university that i commuted to, but it ruled.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

HoboMan posted:

that owns

it did. it was probably the hardest/longest i've ever worked on something since. just debugging and experimenting with different hardware non-stop.

spent a lot of time going into home depot for things to cannibalize for parts. we were ordering motors and gearboxes from all over the world and spending a ton shipping, and it turned out the best motor we could possibly get was by tearing apart a power drill. geared down for a ton of torque for dirt-cheap.

got me my job right out of school, too. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
if you learned version in control in school you went to a poo poo school