Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I fell out of watching robot fight shows, probably like most people, when it became apparent that there were basically 3 types of robot that work and they would all be variations of that. But now they have flamethrowers? I'm back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

PostNouveau posted:

I've never really liked Huge because the fundamental concept of the bot is "The rules don't say anything about me just making it impossible to hit my robot".
Is there any rule that says a dog can't be a Battlebot?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

chaosbreather posted:

Battlebots is a TV show about robots smashing each other to bits in spectacular fashion in a death arena. The best pilots in interviews always talk about putting on a great show and being entertaining as their first priority. This makes sense because a) it’s a very silly sport that is highly arbitrary, b) having fans is worth more in the long run then Ws, and, c) the championship entrants are decided by the producers as to what would be the best show to watch.

Hydra was completely against the spirit of the sport, the spirit of the game, and the spirit of the show. Huge has always had an effective weapon and resulted in a true meta shift - it’s not a gimmick, it’s a strategy that was exciting every time they went into the box.
In other combat sports, stalling is considered a foul. In boxing, for example, refs and judges don't look kindly on a fighter whose strategy is to land one jab and spend the rest of the round clinching so that they technically win. Especially if they loudly announce this mid-fight.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Rondette posted:

a morally shady, but also legitimate move.
I don't know, BB has detailed guidelines on how to score Aggression and Control. It's hard to say. Hydra advanced on the opponent and pushed them into a corner, but didn't do anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In wrestling they call it go away heat.

Tunicate posted:

Hydra modified themselves in such a way that it was impossible for their flipper to hit their opponent.

That means it's no longer a functional weapon, and hence the bot is not valid in this competition
:hmmyes:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The legacy of Blendo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I know we're past the topic, but I just wanted to say that I'm sympathetic to Huge's design because it's always exciting. I rewatched the Huge vs. Mammoth fight, and that's the closest I've ever seen to a robot doing a piledriver on another robot. Huge always goes flying all over the place.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, there's a reason competitions started banning wedges. I stopped watching back in the day because wedges are boring. That highlight reel makes Duck look anything but boring, but it is a highlight reel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I feel that the arena hazards aren't dangerous enough. The hammers should hit harder and the saws should trigger more often. Right now they aren't even really hazards; no one changes their driving style to avoid them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I really didn't think Shatter's strategy of "Let him kick my rear end until he wears himself out" was going to work, especially when Shatter completely whiffed the first couple times it tried to strike.

Hijinx is v. cute and smol. Revenge for Sporkinok!

Witch Doctor missing the easiest hit in the world and running facefirst into a wall was hilarious.

Gruff vs. Extinguisher is, I think, the first time I've seen a bot kill itself kicking its opponent's rear end.

Perfect Phoenix showed good driving considering Atom isn't very vulnerable to being flanked.

Black Dragon vs. Copperhead is what pro wrestling fans refer to as a "hoss-off."

Holy poo poo, the killsaw maybe did something! That's like, the second or third time this season that it's mattered! Wow!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Hydra/Uppercut: In a fight, it's very important for it to be physically possible for your weapon to ever actually touch your opponent.

Rusty/Sawblaze: This was a more humiliating defeat than most KOs. When the robots kill us all and create their own civilization, this is what their slasher movies will look like.

Gamma 9/Tantrum: Watching the Batmobile flee in terror from a rejected Thomas the Tank Engine character is funny.

End Game/Hypershock: Congratulations End Game & Hypershock, you are the winners of the Most Neon Fight Award.

P1/Smeeeeeeeeeeeeee: I didn't know robots did mating dances. I've never seen a robot score a knockout, then drag their opponent back into the fight so that they can knock them out again. Alpha dog move.

Beta/Grabot: This fight was like morning sex. I got exactly what I wanted and exactly what I expected. But it feels so routine!

Valkyrie vs. Whiplash: Let's ram our faces together until one of us is crippled, then play grabass.

Edit: What the gently caress was this?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 12, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a bit of an arms race to get your forks closest to the ground to get under the enemy robot, but as the years went on and the battlebox floor got more and more hosed up, anyone who's gonna try having their lifting forks dangling and scraping the ground is gonna get caught up on poo poo. Especially if they're narrow and skinny. And if the stiffer and more directly attached to the frame the forks are, the more that'll make the robot flip rather than the forks just skidding off.
But who taught it to dance :3:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I think Uppercut can beat Hydra if they can refit their weapon so that it will ever actually touch Hydra.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Anyway.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Huge is almost always entertaining, but I'm sure it will run into something that can shrug off its weapon and shred its wheels.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Presumably the judges came to their senses and are not going to allow a Stalling Device to serve as an active weapon. Especially since, let's be real, this isn't a real sport and what ultimately matters is audience satisfaction.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

All sports are made-up.
That's not true. There are real sports like long jump, javelin throw, and other Olympic sport that determine which nation produces the best steroid regimen athletes. They're just not entertaining and therefore not a viable business.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mad Catter vs. Tombstone: Yeah, that went as expected.

Hijinx vs. Upper Cut: Congratulations Upper Cut, you are the winner of the 2021 Battlebots Breakdancing Competition. The cute robot never wins.

Black Dragon vs. SlamMow!: I've been saying to myself, "Black Dragon seems to have problems igniting its flamethrower. Just once, I'd like to see them ineffectually douse their opponent in fuel, then finally ignite it and make a huge fireball."

Beta vs. Ribbot: Yeah, that didn't go as expected. The cute robot never wins!

Huge vs. Whiplash: Hydra should be banned from Battlebots for the crime of being the only bot that ever had a boring fight with Huge. Huge has a brilliant plan for not losing, which is not the same as a plan to win.

Sub Zero vs. Valkyrie: Valkyrie is a very sexy robot, but it always seems like it's light as a feather. Did they upgrade their weapon?

Gigabyte vs. Malice: Gigabyte seems to drive really well for a spinner bot! It was nice of them to make a good-faith effort to commit suicide toward the end of the match. Powerful Karen vibes from the bunny ears lady. Both teams projecting a lot of "Sid from Toy Story" energy but they're good sports.

Hydra vs. HyperShock: This show finally has its top heel, a bot that performs brilliantly and I hate them for it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

I was wondering if Hijinks would fit in those gaps.

I like how the Uppercut team always seems legitimately frightened of their robot.
If any robot is going to break out of the arena and kill its creator a la Frankenstein's monster, it's Uppercut.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

For this particular type of fight, they really should scrap the 3 min rule and just let the bots fight until there's a KO. Its not like Whiplash was stalling per se, but outside of getting in a lucky lift, Whiplash was basically clinching the entire time. Which I find kinda lame
What? Whiplash was focused on its game plan, which was flanking Huge, using the lifter to keep the bar away, and attacking Huge's wheels. Which they did.

oh jay posted:

I've just now been able to realize why I don't like certain bots. I don't like it when bots can't (or worse, won't) fire their weapon unless they have their opponent pinned against a wall. This includes most hammers and saws, as well as a lot of lifters.

oh jay posted:

Same recurring theme in the bounty hunter episode as the main tournament was: JESUS JUST FIRE THE GODDAMN HAMMER BETA, YOU ABSOLUTE FUCKS.
Personally I want to see hammers actually do damage, so I appreciate it when a hammerbot driver knows how to pick their shots. If you wanna see a hammerbot just buttonmash and miss most of the time, there's always Shatter.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

I had way less confidence in my picks for this side of the bracket, and my lack of confidence was justified!

Rotator vs. Shatter: Shatter seemed like it had an underpowered weapon, reliability issues, and ablative armour that was going to count against them with the judges. Rotator did the better driving but was actually the less reliable bot.

End Game vs. Perfect Phoenix: Phoenix's driver is a prodigy and their weapon seems very powerful, though it also feels very light? Or maybe just top heavy. I'm not surprised it was a short match, but I expected it to be more weapon-on-weapon until somebody broke.

Copperhead vs. Mammoth: What a nail-biter! Which is not to say it was a very satisfying fight. I don't know how I would've called it. It felt like most of Huge's fights. I feel like when you have a big size mismatch between bots, or a bot that's designed to survive being flipped and flopped around, it's really hard to say who was controlling the fight.

Kraken vs. Saw Blaze: poo poo, I did not expect Kraken to pull off that move. I didn't even know there was a special rule governing it; without it Saw Blaze would've lost right then and there. Saw Blaze did exactly what I expected it to do. I wish their weapon was more reliable.

Blood Sport vs. Gruff: I expected Blood Sport to have weapon issues, but I didn't expect them to make up for it with great driving. Not an easy call, but the winner was clearly more active at the end of the fight and still had a game plan it was executing.

Fusion vs. Tantrum: This is the first time I've seen a fight that was won and lost by the same robot. Tantrum has a good driver, but it's one of those robots that I don't like because its strategy is inherently over complicated. You have to get under your opponent and then hit them with your weapon? I get frustrated by all the fights where the bots seem unable to actually make weapon contact at all.

Skorpios vs. Witch Doctor: It's a classic matchup: the Unreliable Chopper vs. the Spinner That Struggles To Actually Touch Its Opponent! I like both of these bots so I wish neither of them had to lose.

I kinda ate poo poo on this one, but I expected that. My takeaway from this is that I don't like any of the winning bots' chances against Hydra.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

oh jay posted:

I'm racking my brain for an alternate configuration they could run that would do anything.
I don't particularly like Shatter, and I have nothing against Mammoth, but I'll laugh my rear end off if they do something like like a one-in-a-thousand shot to Mammoth's wheel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Have Huge or Mammoth either one had a fight where they just wrecked their opponent? Their unusual build makes it very hard to score control.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'd like to offer my thoughts but I haven't even watched the new episode yet. I didn't expect to jump back up after last week. I definitely did not expect Ribbot or Shatter to get this far. Which is fine because they're cool-looking bots. I just thought they were too cute and fragile for this world. If I was voting my heart I'd pick Hijinx to win the tournament.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Finally saw the episode.

Ribbot vs. Uppercut: Ribbot got lucky, IMO. I think Ribbot is underestimated, but if it beats Black Dragon I will throw my beer at the screen.

Bloodsport vs. Tantrum: Tantrum is a sturdy, well-driven little shoverbot. Too bad the weapon's just for show. I predicted that Bloodsport wouldn't be able to create distance and get its weapon up to speed for big hits. Tantrum did a good job crowding Bloodsport, but as it turns out, it can take direct hits from Bloodsport's weapon anyway.

Gigabyte vs. Hydra: I wonder when Ewert decided that he had this one in the bag, so he'd focus on trying to murder someone in the audience.

Black Dragon vs. Tombstone: You always hope that these showdowns between two feared bots are going to be full of sparks and loud noises and maybe something catching on fire, instead of them breaking their weapons against each other and spending the rest of the match circling and shoving. I agree with the judges: Black Dragon was very clearly the monkey and Tombstone was very obviously the football.

Valkyrie vs. Whiplash: I rated Valkyrie very low because of apparent durability issues. I was completely wrong about that! It turns out that in Inverted Mode, their weapon is too high to high a lot of bots. Like Gigabyte, they were forced to attack the floor again and again. Whiplash has proven once and for all that Industrial beats Vaporwave.

Mammoth vs. Shatter: I defer to the judges. I couldn't tell which one was the monkey and which one was the football.

End Game vs. Rotator: Ah, the old "Let them punch you in the skull until their hands break" strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The hammers should be replaced those vaguely pyramidal weights falling from above. You know, the kind you use to turn Daffy Duck into an accordion.