Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Hello lovely people!
I've seen some discussion and threads popping up about reading entire runs of series or entire stretches where a certain writer got a hold of a character, so I thought it would be cool to have a thread where we talk about the experience of long-term reading years worth of stories in one (ok, many) sittings. And because I've been reading all of One Piece for the past couple of months.

Are you interested in reading a whole bunch of comics about your favorite super-person? Of course you are, you are reading this on a decrepit forum about four-color imaginary people.

How can you go about doing this?
Now thanks to digital comics, subscription services and online storefronts it's easier (and legal-er) than ever. Comixology has a ton of sales, Humble Bundle sometimes has great comic bundles for like 5 bucks and DC Universe, Viz has a lot of the popular manga series with their Shonen Jump deal and Marvel Unlimited are a great source of completed runs from the Big 2.

But what if I like a) to feel the paper in my hands/prosthetic/feet (assuming you're into that)? and b) want to lift weights at the same time?
The more expensive option: Omnibuses! Available on amazon, bookdepository, instocktrades and wherever comics are sold.
Those big, large hunks of paper and cardboard generally have all the issues of a certain run or era of a lot of popular writers. Plus, they make for very beautiful doorstops.

So far, I've gone through a few entire runs (Planetary, Love and Rockets from before New Stories, Akira, Starman, etc) and one of the things I really like is seeing how the artists and writers perfect their technique as they get more and more comfortable with the characters and the world they are creating. Some start with a clear vision and an end-point and some just go for a ride and I love reading them.

So, what's the latest series you've been reading through? What do you like about the experience? Have you thought about reading an entire run or thought "I wonder what it would feel like to go through all the appearances of 'Mazing Man?" Are you doing a read-through right now? Have you been able to read the Kirby Omnibus in a comfortable position?

Let's talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Threads about this thing.

MARK MILLAR STILL LICKS GOATS: Let's Read The Unfunnies (NMS WARNING) by LORD OF BOOTY
Get Foked! A Warrior Babble-to-English Translation BY Added Space

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Marvel Unlimited is incredible for this. I’m doing a full marvel read and it’s been fantastic. It doesn’t have absolutely everything, especially as I work through the 70s, but it has most of it.

I’m hoping DC gets to this point (and to Canada) soon as well.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’ve been working through Morrison’s run on Doom Patrol while watching the show, I can’t get over just how weird and beautiful and funny and gross and generally good it all is.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

NienNunb posted:

I’ve been working through Morrison’s run on Doom Patrol while watching the show, I can’t get over just how weird and beautiful and funny and gross and generally good it all is.

I just read it for the first time. It was wonderful from start to finish. I'd love to hear your thoughts when it's all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

NienNunb posted:

After getting conversational about it in the questions thread a couple of months ago, I decided to go ahead with a full Doom Patrol read through myself. I'm at the very end of the New 52 series with only the Young Animal series to go. But I was going to wait until I finished the whole thing before I posted about it. Doom Patrol is funky because there are only eight writers across its entire 50 year history so it's really easy to break into distinct chunks: Drake, Kupperberg, Morrison, Pollack, Arcudi, Byrne, Giffen (with help for a while from DeMatteis), and Way. So you get these changes of direction with each writer adding a little bit more to the mix.

I'm also starting read throughs of some 2000AD series with Nemesis the Warlock and ABC Warriors since I picked up some of the collections. I've only read a few chapters of each so far, though, .