Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Thoughts: John Wick is Sora and the High Table is Organization XIII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

QuoProQuid posted:

The movie was fun but it felt like a lot of scene setting for the "real" confrontation of Baba Yaga and the Bowery flipping over The High Table.

And maybe the next movie will justify it but I don't really understand the filmmakers thought an entire movie of preparation was necessary.

I really think they wanted to do the next movie as this movie and realized they didn't do quite enough set up, and rather than cram it all into one movie they just made this

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
movie owned. i want one of those armored dog jackets (for my cat)

Discendo Vox posted:

[*] Big weird plot thing The Elder? Out of nowhere the Global Crime Government has an overarching leader instead of being a shadowy criminal mutual distrust pact. The dude is suddenly introduced in functionally mystical terms, effectively is the most powerful person on earth, and he's random Appropriative Bedouin Actor #238? Why...did they need to do this? Why not just have Wick meet with another adjudicator, or a high table member, or something?

I'm assuming that's because they want to save the reveal of who the High Table actually is until the next movie. I'm hoping that's because they want to line up Clint Eastwood, Chow Yun-Fat, Anne Parillaud, etc etc, to play them all.

What kind of ticked me off about the Elder is that if they're saying the assassin world traces its roots back to the actual Assassins and the Elder is their symbolic link to that past, he shouldn't have been an Arab in the Moroccan desert, he should have been the Old Man of the Mountain in Alamut, I mean how's this for a location:

Also just let them get Scott Adkins in the next one and I'll die happy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's much harder for me to care about the High Table membership when they already showed the guy running it above all of them and he was so lame. Also so far it seems like High Table leaders and reps are rich people in suits, not actual competent fighters of any kind.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
The music has really taken a hit since the first one, but drat I still love these movies so much it's silly.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one and can't wait to see it again, they perfectly walk the tightrope of "Is this over the top?" and "Hell yeah it's over the top!!!" in a way that no other action franchise really seems to imo. I definitely hope that the 4th one is straight up boss fights with more costume changes and gear upgrades, because that poo poo makes me laugh every time.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I enjoyed this one way more than 2, although I may be in the minority for that. I found the action in 2 to be just "more" and tiresome, boarding on boring by the end of some scenes. The choreography in 3 is just so much more varied that I was able to enjoy it a lot more.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Liked the action, didn't like the plot. I don't understand how they could screw up having colorful badass assassins but the African sections just felt bad, how did it go from Russian mobsters to this?

Still going to watch the gently caress out of 4 because the action is still gorgeous.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was surprised but not disappointed by the reveal of someone above the High Table because so much of this series is mythology and in mythology it seems like there's always some other level either higher or lower to go to and always some path for a person or demigod to travel even when things seem impossible. Like sorry mate, you're all out of luck unless... well unless you go to Hell and come back. It's so crazy it just might work!

Also, I chuckled to myself after the scene with the Elder because it reminded me of Scott Pilgrim. Wick essentially being granted an Extra Life after being in the semi-underworld of the desert.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder who's above the Elder

Let's go DBZ levels of batshit convoluted hierarchy, c'mon

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like honestly, for me the crazy comic-book assassin organization stuff is what keeps this from being Yet Another (well-executed) Shootman Movie. It's an almost bizarrely well-sketched world that we're just seeing a tiny glimpse of through the eyes of one guy, and even then there's so much left out. It really makes your imagination go nuts at the possibilities, because every explanation we get raises like five more questions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I wonder who's above the Elder

Let's go DBZ levels of batshit convoluted hierarchy, c'mon

Well clearly then the next arc after this the grand elder threatens to remove all dogs from existence except for the winner of a multiversal tournament and its up to John Wick to recruit a team and win it all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Seen it twice now. Favorite movie I've seen all year, no question. And easily one of my favorite action movies of the decade, up there with Mad Max Fury Road and The Raid. It even had a couple guys from The Raid in it!

In addition to being a fantastic action movie, it's also a great dance movie. Whether with fists, kicks, guns, on horseback, on motorcycles, etc., every movement feels precise & graceful. It's like watching a beautiful, violent ballet.

Some of the fight choreography also reminded me of Metal Gear, and that made me REALLY HAPPY.

Burginator posted:

The music has really taken a hit since the first one, but drat I still love these movies so much it's silly.
Did you notice that Sofia quotes a line from the Marilyn Manson song that plays throughout the first one? Because that gave me a nice chuckle hahaha

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 19, 2019

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

These are definitely my favourite video game movies. And astonishingly pretty at times, some of the shot composition is just gorgeous.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Well clearly then the next arc after this the grand elder threatens to remove all dogs from existence except for the winner of a multiversal tournament and its up to John Wick to recruit a team and win it all.

loving exactly I want an assassin tournament arc

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did you notice that Sofia quotes a line from the Marilyn Manson song that plays throughout the first one? Because that gave me a nice chuckle hahaha

It legit made me low key mad that this movie didn't have a new song like that and just kinda reused the one from 2

I mean that one owned but still, this movie deserved a little better from Tyler Bates, it really just felt like a rehash of 2's score

(also no Le Castle Vania sucked, they better bring him back in 4)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are you still on the fence about seeing this? Watch these and go see it immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii9_oWQ7HY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2RJPrY2Og

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 19, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Are you still on the fence about seeing this? Watch these and go see it immediately

Halle Berry really impressed me. There were a few little moves of hers that were actually more fluid than Keanu's.

It's crazy how quickly these have gotten much bigger and crazier. The first, which is still a really good, lean action film, feels so small compared to this one, which I kept figuring must have blown its wad (I didn't think they'd top the knife fight, that was Jackie Chan level intricate) and just kept ratcheting things up. I counted at least 6 major set pieces (depending how much you want to split up some of them) and everyone was really different. That body armour fight was my favourite. It was that brief gag where he throat punches the dude with a pistol so he can reload, but drawn out into a whole scene.

Dacascos loving blew me away. I was absolutely sure he was going to blow up after Drive and le Pacte Des Loups, but it never quite happened (the martial arts boom had kind of faded by the time he came along. He was in Kickboxer 5, which does exist) so it's great to see him getting high profile work and completely walking away with the movie. Having him as a sushi chef waiting for the adjudicator was a nice gag. If you didn't know he spent a few years as the chairman on the US remake of Iron Chef.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

loving exactly I want an assassin tournament arc

It legit made me low key mad that this movie didn't have a new song like that and just kinda reused the one from 2

I mean that one owned but still, this movie deserved a little better from Tyler Bates, it really just felt like a rehash of 2's score

(also no Le Castle Vania sucked, they better bring him back in 4)

All three moves had the same motif or theme whatever you want to call it.

This one reused cues but even if it didn’t I’d still use the John wick theme a whole lot.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Keanu Reeves (and also Halle Berry) might as well be an actual assassin at this point.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Easily the weakest of the three, the whole mythology of Wicks world was already pushing it on the previous movie and it just doesn't work on this one. I think if they had actually gone at the High Table at least the whole dumb organisation would have been worth to see it topple down, but I wonder if Keanu has it in him for one more, dude looks weary on this one. He's pushing fifty and looking like it now.
A lot of more balls action than I expected though.

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 19, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He looks weary because his character has been fighting everyone for like 2 weeks straight

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, his character's body has gone through hell multiple times in a short amount of time. It's a miracle that he's able to keep getting up and kicking rear end. It's not Keanu who feels beat up. He seems to enjoy himself immensely when making these movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So is it considered a spoiler that there will be a fourth movie? I 100% was expecting this to be the end of a trilogy. Can't be the only one.

About John Wick being beaten to poo poo, seems like between 3 and 4 he might have time to heal up?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Apparently John Wick 3 beat Avengers Endgame and Pokemon to be #1 at the box office with around $57 million US And $92 million worldwide. I'm optimistic for John Wick 4.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes! John Wick killed the Avengers!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatts posted:

Apparently John Wick 3 beat Avengers Endgame and Pokemon to be #1 at the box office with around $57 million US And $92 million worldwide. I'm optimistic for John Wick 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOqUiXhECos

:3: :3: :3:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
john wick 2 had too much james bond poo poo for me to fully enjoy, so i’m glad parabellum went back to forcing him to mostly scavenge for what he needs. even when he kits the gently caress out in the vault his loadout is like, two decent pistols and a shotgun

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Weird question, but does anyone know anything about that cool chess set in Winston's glass palace area?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

deathbagel posted:

Weird question, but does anyone know anything about that cool chess set in Winston's glass palace area?

I was fully expecting someone to end up getting thrown/uppercutted onto that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's a vintage 60's chess set designed by Austin Cox for ALCOA aluminum. It ain't cheap.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

It's a vintage 60's chess set designed by Austin Cox for ALCOA aluminum. It ain't cheap.

Thanks for this! I had that exact set when I was a kid, it was my dad's and I got it when he died. No clue how he managed to have it, he was an alcoholic who couldn't hold down a job and drank himself to death, but it was by far the nicest thing he owned. I wish they hand't let me have it when I was a kid, because I of course destroyed it, which makes me sad now that I'm old and would love to have it. I'd never seen another set like that one until I saw it last night while watching this movie. Honestly I'd forgotten about it.

The movie was fantastic also. I really didn't expect much since by the third movie most series just completely go off the rails, but this one was still really good and I'm looking forward to part 4!

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I really enjoyed this. I thought the action was the best the series has been yet, but the story is the worst of the three just because of how loose it feels near the end. Thought the first two were more tightly written. Even still, it's good enough that I'm okay with it and the action is phenomenal to make up for it. That said, I do hope the fourth's story is better or at least on par with this one. No idea how they'll top the action but I like the idea floated around here of it being a series of "boss" fights against the high table.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The next one should take a cue from Game of Death/Raid/Dredd and lock Wick in a building with the High Table on the top floor and 1000 goons of increasing difficulty between them.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I could watch Reeves reload a shotgun and blow dudes heads off all day. I don’t know why his reload motion looks so different from anything I have seen buts it badass.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Venuz Patrol posted:

john wick 2 had too much james bond poo poo for me to fully enjoy, so i’m glad parabellum went back to forcing him to mostly scavenge for what he needs. even when he kits the gently caress out in the vault his loadout is like, two decent pistols and a shotgun

i thought it was a bit silly that the continental's bellboys were just sent out with pistols against the high table death squad when there are various smgs,assault rifles, and a sniper rifle in the armory

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 20, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah Mark Dacascos is awesome in this. Hard to believe he's 55.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

got some chores tonight posted:

i thought it was a bit silly that the continental's bellboys were just sent out with pistols against the high table death squad when there are various smgs and assault rifles in the armory

Yeah but in fairness those were borderline useless against the special armored goons too. Only the armor piercing super shotguns worked, and I think they just had 2.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Chapter 3 was awesome and those dogs were some very, very good boys. There was no reason for it to be a two and a half hour movie. The Raid 2 was a two and a half hour action movie, and it deserved to be that long. There was a ton of poo poo that could have been cut from this.(COMPREHENSIVE SPOILERS SPANNING ENTIRE MOVIE) The library fight, The second wave of bullet proof High Table Troopers, and the glass hallway fight with the ninjas who weren't Yayan Ruhian and Cecep Arif Rahman weren't helping the movie at all. That time could have been better spent developing who the hell the bald ninja master is and maybe another Winston scene hinting at where things are going.

With that said (last act spoilers) The Raid Duo fight was spectacular and you could really tell the director was excited about it. They spent the whole movie giving short glimpses of Yayan and Cecep in anticipation of their fight, and they started the fight with the kind of condescending sportsmanship Cecep showed in the kitchen fight in The Raid 2. That fight was a love letter, and after that bullshit cameo in The Force Awakens I'm very happy to see it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I wanted this to be better than 2 but it wasn't. I wouldn't cut the library fight, killing a guy with a book was a great addition. The whole Morocco and "the Elder" stuff was stupid and could have been cut without making any difference to the story. Going to see the Elder doesn't accomplish anything since it doesn't remove the hit on Wick and we never really believe he's going to go kill the only acquaintance he has left.. It's 40 minutes that don't need to be in the movie and is the most egregious about nonsense world-building as well.

Also there were a lot of moments in this where somebody should have just shot John but didn't because they were too lazy to do a setup for a setpiece that made sense.

Also John is becoming more and more like a Marvel superhero. In John Wick he makes mistakes, gets surprised, blindsided, and overwhelmed at times and has to retreat. When he gets hit by a car he's out of the fight and wakes up cuffed to a chair. In this one he gets hit by two cars and it barely seems to register, he doesn't seem to make mistakes, gets thrown through glass and keeps fighting, and survives an eighty foot fall.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 20, 2019

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

jase1 posted:

I could watch Reeves reload a shotgun and blow dudes heads off all day. I don’t know why his reload motion looks so different from anything I have seen buts it badass.

He's doing a speed-loading technique called 'quad loading'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=265o1AdkYjk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Has the best sequence in any of the films but a lot of this felt a bit too indulgent and operatic for its own good. The 2nd act felt really weird and killed the pacing. 2 feels the most solid to me overall, but the first half of the first film is still my favorite.
The less these films feel obviously fanservicey (the fights are already good enough) the better.

These are minor complaints though cuz no one is really even trying when it comes to choreography. The shootoutz can't compare to anything like a Bittersweet Life but it is still serviceable and the close quarters is the best that's been down in the west probably ever.