Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I liked it a lot! The set pieces were great. I think 1 and 2 just about edge it out. They feel a *bit* more stylish than John Wick 3.

My biggest issue was why Wick's goal in this movie was to try and get to this elder to ask him to lift the excommunicado. With ending on obvious sequel bait it makes this movie feel a bit more like setup than being the thrilling concluding chapter I expected.

Other than revenge the interesting theme I see that has developed is about Wick reckoning with how oppressive the social structure of the world is. Just looking at JW2 - executing Santonio on Continental grounds. Santonio is comfortable in exploiting those structures to get away with his plan and Wick realises the only way he can get "justice" is to violate the rules of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

[*] Seconding the faceless mook issues. I'm relatively new to CineD, but I'm sure y'all have gone into the lack of identification and expression that "everyone in identical masks and jumpsuits" creates.
[/list]

None of this is damning by any means, I liked the film, but it's worrying me when it comes to sequels.

From the director's commentary on 2 part of the reason they do that is so they can reuse stuntmen.

It is a little frustrating how little character the high table mooks had - especially in the biggest budget JW film. It's a very generic aesthetic that I'd be a lot more forgiving of in a smaller film. Put them in fancy conquistador armour or something.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It is interesting how little we see of the crime world outside of assassins. I think the most overt thing is the chop shop that leguizamo runs and the implication in JW1 and JW2 that the Tarasovs run a lot of stolen cars.

I guess maybe it'd be too dark if we saw human trafficking or drugs being moved?

The whole economy/logistics of the world has a great feel to it but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny at all.