Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I liked this movie more than 2 overall but holy poo poo the journey to the elder and that character was like, so bad after they already revealed a bit of the hierarchy in 2. It felt like the script needed another pass to make this fit, like they wanted to sort of have this unseen but omnipotent "heavenly" equivalent to Laurence Fishburne's underworld king. Looking at the thread everyone's already pointed out how that whole sequence was just felt like a weird wheel spinning. I would have just confined it to the foundry making the coins and just the regions high table or whatever person be there. The rest of his quest to find himself or whatever felt tacked on, plus in an already weak score we got the super generic annoying Middle Eastern Mysticism music.

Speaking of mysticism, again, like they want to again have this near mystical depiction of the guy running the show but the way things are shown in 2, like that just isn't how stuff works. Like in the second movie we learn that Santino and his sister are members of the Camorra which is an irl old crime syndicate with various feuding families. Like having another "no no these are the REAL ancient crime people running the show" on top of that felt really weird. And again with a tighter script yeah they could have played with how each major group has sort of an underground side to it like they do with Fishburne or with Anjelica Houston's character and how they all periodically feud with each other. And again, like, I don't know I hear that generic Mysterious Middle Eastern Stuff music and it just immediately makes me lose interest.

Still loved the movie though and am already hype for John Wick 4. I am sad that Mark Dacascos died though. :(

People brought up how you could see things slowing down at times, when I was watching the movie, remember how it opens up with the doctor and how he has John shoot him twice to make sure he can convincingly seem like he didn't help John out willingly. Because of that I was actually expecting some kind of convoluted face turn where the ninjas were going "easy" on John because they were working with Winston or with Laurence Fishburne the entire time like they faked his execution or something. Partially because it was spoiled for me ahead of time that that character lives.

If they go the TV series route it'd be a great way to have like Ruby Rose's character from 2/etc. pop up again. IIRC from when they were talking about that they would have Reeves pop up occasionally in it as a cameo or show up as a force of nature towards the end of a story arc that throws stuff into disarray. Could be cool.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also it's not AS good as the Raid flicks but check out Killzone 2 (no relation to the video games) on Netflix because it similarly fuckin' owns. Depending on where you are/what streaming services you use, it might also be under the title SPL 2: A Time for Consequences.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Strange Poon posted:

Did anyone else feel that with the escalation of the number / strength of people and John Wick being able to disappear and re-appear / surviving the long fall, even if it's not exactly supernatural, it's showing that he's getting back into his groove? To me it was like, In 1 he's coming out of retirement and shaking the dust off but by the end of 3 he's starting to show signs that he is almost "Baba Yaga" again.

Maybe Johnny is vampire?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

[*] My understanding is that Santino is not a High Table member until he takes his sister's position. It's always bugged me that Santino hiring John (through a Marker no less) to kill a High Table member didn't seem to cause any blowback for Santino. I guess the idea is Wick never tells anyone why he made the kill, or, now that Santino is a Table member, might makes right and they don't care?
[/list]

This was my one issue with that movie too, like it did a little too much and too little world building at the same time. With Santino especially, we're told it would be chaos and horrible if he got a seat at the high table like this is a permanent game changing event. But like, how is he any worse than any of these other full time treacherous crime lord assholes that have folks assassinated at the drop of a hat and so on? Like if he does kill her wouldn't it just be a given because of how word gets around that everyone on earth would know she was killed by John Wick because Santino cashed in his thumbloodstub?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 29, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IG-88 posted:

In another timeline John Wick would've gotten an Aibo instead of a real dog. He'd have at least avoided a whole lot of heartache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's not an action scene but Kurosawa did that to great effect in Throne of Blood to make the witch and her hut very suddenly disappear. They basically had the entire hut+props strung like a marionette around the trees. So throughout the scene it has shots of the witch and of our two lords' faces as they converse. Mifune and his co-star are framed by the hut's doorway.and it zooms on them a bit as they react/etc. Then at the end it zooms in past the doorway and then zooms out really fast as everything is being pulled away just out of site so all in camera they go from furnished interior to an empty forest all around them. :perfect:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 9, 2019