Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Sophia was a conscious choice to show that women can be John Wick, too. She looked great doing it.

I really respect that they're trying to move the action beyond CQC->headshot, which was very good in the first one and started getting a bit stale in the second.

This was the weakest of the John Wick films by a smidge, IMO, but it was very enjoyable and I didn't really have a huge problem with it. I hope they wrap up the franchise in the next couple of movies, since the obvious direction of the series is "John Wick is an unstoppable violence spirit who pulls down the corrupt edifices that harm the lower classes" and you can only deal with so many layers of corrupt opulence and byzantine bureaucracy before it becomes parody.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Huh, I thought the Adjudicator was coded androgynous/non-binary to show that they had moved beyond such things, as an actual kind of dehumanization to show that they were nothing more than the will of the High Table. I read it as a sort of sublimation of identity instead of an assertion of one. I can see how it can be read as the opposite tho; that's very interesting.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oooh I like that interpretation as well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pretty much all of the supporting cast in the John Wick franchise are top-tier, even the one-off characters. Like I wanted to know more about the hub guy who executed the Adjudicator's order near the end of the movie, and he was on the screen for all of 20 seconds!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I guess that's a standard turnaround but it seems very quick.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

heckyeahpathy posted:

Hi, being genderqueer or non-binary is still being human. Reading someone's androgyny as "inhuman" in 2019 is... not great

I literally said they had transcended that poo poo to a higher plane as the Will of the High Table. They had moved beyond gender. It was transhumanism, not inhumanism.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Unless you've got an icy blue gaze that can freeze someone in their tracks at 20 feet, don't bother applying.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's darkly hilarious for the Adjudicator.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

heckyeahpathy posted:

And then you followed that by saying it was "an actual kind of dehumanization to show that they were nothing more than the will of the High Table." As though fitting into the gender binary is the only way to have agency w/r/t gender. Hard pass.

That's an extremely bad faith interpretation of what I wrote, and you seem determined to turf me on this for some weird reason, so let's agree to not discuss it anymore.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Those cool curved knives are called Karambits and they come from Western Sumatra! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karambit

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Some of these are pretty useful (as a dad I do like "is Santa spoiled?") but "does the dragon die"??? really???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bust Rodd posted:

Like they literally dress up like Pacific Islander warrior and throw spears at drug dealers. In 2019. I cannot begin to imagine the writer’s room on this.

Small world: it's directed by the guy who co-directed John Wick.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Blast Fantasto posted:

I love Man of Tai Chi. Keanu gives a wild performance as the villain, which I feel like he doesn’t get to do too often.

His bad guy sneer is Grade AAA

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It just depends on the actor. It's a lot of work over a fairly long period of time and they have to want to do it.

Keanu clearly enjoyed learning Kung Fu for Matrix on some level.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Perestroika posted:

And even if you do have actors who put in the time, it will still often take quite a bit longer to actually film. Even with a whole cast of trained and motivated people there are lots of thing that can go wrong during an action scene that require another take (or fifty). At least if you're committed to clear, long shots. If you're doing the whole rapid cuts thing it's much easier to cobble something together from a handful of individually flawed takes.

I once made an action film (as a student) and yes, long takes are loving horrific in terms of work. Look at the post-apocalyptic "one take" Batman sequence in BvS; some of those hits are pretty drat sloppy but I'm sure Affleck wasn't willing to do 50 takes in his Bat-Suit just to get it just right.

BTW, I ended up cutting my movie more than I wanted. We did the fight 5 times, from 3 angles, and then I put it together. Watched it again like 10 years later and it was insanely bad, because I kept breaking the left-right flow and reversing fighter positions.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

My only criticism is that scene in the second movie where JW and the main assassin he was fighting was casually strolling through a crowded area with JW up on the 2nd floor and the other guy on the ground floor. My complaint is that these two people are shown to be expert assassins with perfect aim yet for whatever reason they just kept shooting at each other and missing the entire time. That part really made no sense to me.

They're not aiming.

Like seriously just trying to shoot someone from the side with a pistol held at chest level is nuts.

If anything, the argument should be that it was reckless and dangerous to all the innocent bystanders around them.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah I'm basically interested in the action gags for JW4. Unless they do an Alien -> Aliens level reconfiguration of the basic premise I'm not actually interested in the plot or characters. The world has been revealed - it's not particularly interesting. John's characterization and relationships aren't particularly interesting. Winston's labyrinthine plots aren't interesting. We've had enough well-choreographed gun fights with cool lighting in baroque settings at this point - it needs something beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

jojoinnit posted:

It's also wrong. He didn't kill Viggo's brother. He had a drink with him and agreed to peace.

Was just going to point that out. Dude doesn't know how to watch movies.