Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My friend made a seven hour drive down to visit me so we could watch the second movie in theaters and now I'm flying cross country to visit him so we can see the third. I'm more hyped for this movie than I was for avengers and game of thrones combined. Hearing all the good reviews coming in is just the cherry on top. John Wick Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Imagine putting the words thrilling action in sarcastic quotes to describe John Wick.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Google recommended me this article yesterday:

The John Wick Universe is Cancel Culture
https://www.eugenewei.com/blog/2020/1/7/john-wick-and-cancel-culture

quote:

John Wick’s real name, we learn, is Jardani Jovonovich, a Belarussian gypsy raised as an assassin. Wick is nicknamed Baba Yaga, the Boogeyman, for he is the master of assassination. Who are most gifted in using social media to sow chaos and division in the world, especially the United States, than the Russians? Having lost the Cold War they’ve come back in a more fluid and confounding form.

quote:

In a social media context, we can think of Wick’s dog and his car as representing those beliefs we hold sacred. When Wick loses his car and his dog, he is every one of us who sees one of the values we consider intrinsic to our personal identity impugned by some stranger on social media. That the perpetrators are Russian is nothing if not reminiscent of Russian agents sowing discord in American society in the run up to the 2016 Presidential election.

quote:

As on social media, violence begets violence. Since Wick refuses to let the matter go, Viggo, to protect his son, sends a preemptive hit squad to assassinate Wick at his home. We never fight a single target on social media because the public broadcast nature of social media always rallies others to the cause.

quote:

John Wick 2 begins with him retrieving his car from a chop shop owned by Viggo's brother, which requires Wick to kill not only Viggo’s brother but his fellow goons. The car takes serious damage in the firefight, much like the beating we take defending ourselves online, but Wick eventually emerges with his car and new dog and then returns home to bury his weapons cache. He thinks he is out of the game once again.

As anyone who has participated in culture wars knows, any victory is temporary and pyrrhic.
This is all just from the first third of the article.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 9, 2020