Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Oh no don't make me watch Wick movies multiple times

If I ever really told people the true # of times I've watched John Wick 2 they'd probably have me locked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

504 posted:

Ah, another in the line of "thrilling action" movies where the indestructible, perfect at everything, never in the slightest danger hero slaughters unending hordes of automatic weapon wielding baddies by doing impossible things and only being shot where hes wearing magic body armor.

Hes back from his permanent retirement. Again. Again.

hell yea

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
While the action was as great as ever, and probably even better than John Wick 2, this one is definitely going to be a line in the sand for some people. It definitely goes waaaaay farther over the top than the previous two movies, but that's mostly in a select few moments so it wasn't a huge issue for me. Early on I was pretty worried when Wick killed two dudes by getting a horse to kick them in the face, but there wasn't a whole lot of the Looney Tunes kinda stuff after that.

It also felt a lot more gruesome than the others. In my theater there were definitely people who weren't prepared for Wick to go to town on the big guy's face and neck with the book in the opening fight scene. Lots of gasps on that one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

air- posted:

Assembling the revolver and listening to the barrel clicking as it rolled was a reference to a scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6E3d-cULBY

Yea but Wick was taking it apart for a reason, but the scene went quickly and I kinda missed that. Was it that the cylinder wasn't aligned properly? Or was he taking a cylinder off of one revolver and fitting it to the barrel of another?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

It looked to me he was taking it off one revolver and putting it on another. I think the first was stuck or wouldn’t turn so he got a similar gun and reconstructed it with a different barrel.

I know he attempted to load the ammo into the revolver and it didn't fit for some reason? So I guess he then had to take the barrel off, switch it out for a different barrel that was the proper size for that ammo?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's definitely moments here and there in all three Wick movies where the choreography is just a little too slow to be believable, and there were definitely a few of those moments in the Keanu vs. The Raid guys fight. Everything they're doing in these movies is so ambitious though that you just have to be able to let that stuff go.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Having thought about it, portraying Ruhian and Rahman as like honorable fighters who really are just excited to be able to fight Wick was a pretty clever choice because it allows them to slow their moves down a bit and give Keanu some breaks but with an established in-universe reason for why they'd do that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Edit : One thing I noticed that suprised me was the theatre wasnt filled with 20ish year olds. It was a much older and also female leaning audience I really thought the 70+ year old lady that set next to us was in the wrong theatre but nope, she was hollering along with the action. I got the feeling this may make a lot more money than anyone was expecting.

I had the same experience. First like 5-6 people I saw come into my theater were all women in like their 50s and 60s. I started to worry I was in the wrong place but no, in the end the mix of people was really like 60/40 with women outnumbering the men.

One guy in my row was there with his wife, they were like 60ish and after every single action scene he'd lean over to her and be like "I can't believe this movie!!!! This is the craziest thing I've ever seen!!!!" Normally I'd be annoyed but it was too cute to be annoying.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

edit: I really, really didn't like JW2 with the bulletproof suit and the subway silencer battle, is this movie more like JW1 or sadly like JW2?

You will probably not like the movie, no.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

[Library fight]
I think this scene gives us three things (other than the fight itself, of course):
(1) We get our introductory fight for the movie. A sort of "yeah, he's still really good at fighting."
(2) It shows that every drat idiot is out to get him. We've had a bunch of people looking at him, but since he's such a legendary assassin, people could still be willing to give him a clear path. Boban lets us know that no, it really is everyone after him.
(3) I think this is the important one: it shows people cheating the rules. Over the first two movies, the rules have been sacrosanct. The only two times they've been broken have been a big deal: Perkins is immediately executed, and Keanu is excommunicated. Boban cheating the rules here shows that the rules aren't so ironclad, which opens the space for a lot of what happens in the movie.

The main reason I think the library fight is 100% necessary and one of the best scenes of the movie is because it immediately tops the opening scene from JW2(where in hindsight he was clearly holding back) in terms of sheer brutality and serves notice to the audience that John is deadlier than even the first two movies let on. I mean, he loving obliterates that guy. I had a bunch of people in my theater that were really taken aback by the way Wick just goes to town on the guy's face and neck and there was audible gasps and then stunned silence.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 20, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

I think my favourite little moment of the film was the russians bouncers asking for John's belt before meeting the matriarch, considering how much work he puts on with the belt, they were on the right to be cautious.

And then he uses it to help turn the tide in the fight towards the end of the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

I rewatched 1 and 2 the day of 3’s release, and I think this entire franchise is successful because of the phone call between Viggo and John Leguizamo. The “Oh.” after John explains why he struck Iosef is one of the most succinct and successful character building moments I can think of. That 30 second exchange by secondary characters tells you everything you need to know about Wick. It reminds me of the legend building in Desperado, but one backed by the reality of the character instead of using it as a myth to scare bad guys.

That scene really is genius and you're right, I fell in love with the movie at that exact moment because it's a situation we've seen in plenty of movies before. You expect Viggo to puff out his chest and say "I don't care who it was, you touch my son you pay the price!" or something along those lines. The weak "Oh" as if he's almost speechless and paralyzed by fear just at the mention of Wick's name was absolutely perfect.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

At this point, John Wick feels more like action art film to me, like some weird cross of Seijun Suzuki and Italian giallo. The text is more or less an exploitation film, but rendered so artistically and affectionately. It's not surprising that they'd also be conscious and respectful about representation. They're doing something with these movies. It's loving great.

Absolutely the JW films take much more from Suzuki and Melville than the typical American action movie. I did a Letterboxd list of movies to watch before John Wick 3 and Tokyo Drifter, Le Samourai, and Le Cercle Rouge were all on it. I mean, John Wick has a specific Le Cercle Rouge call out so it's not all that subtle.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In the scene where Wick refused to kill Winston, I kept expecting the Adjudicator to betray some bit of fear that maybe they were about to kill her(it is just the three of them up there, after all), but nope. She was uber-confident and really at no point did she not have the upper hand. Great character and I loved that Winston and Wick never lose respect for her position even as they're refusing to bend the knee.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I guess that's a standard turnaround but it seems very quick.

I imagine pre-production on 4 has already started, they knew all along they were doing it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Definitely didn't expect Wick to bust out a belly to belly suplex and then an Angle Slam. but I should've expected it after we saw how he was trained at the ballet school.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the answer to the question "why not just shoot her" was just "that wouldn't do anything and no one really wastes their time attacking things for no reason in these films except Theon Greyjoy".

Oh I know they wouldn't do it, there's no benefit and would probably just make things worse. But when you're standing there with a pissed off John Wick and the only person there to witness what happens is the guy you're taking everything away from, I'd be a little bit nervous. But hey, that's why I'm not Adjudicator material.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I loved this movie so much. More than the second one even. My favorite scene is where John and Charon have to go back to their stronghold for better guns because of the enemy's armor. They're so mad about it.

Also Winston is making the best faces in that scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
JW4 reveals that Food Network actually holds a seat at the High Table and all the t.v. chefs are actually assassins. Dacascas used to work for them of course but then went off on his own after a falling out with Bobby Flay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

I thought it fit with the whole Rockabilly phone line operators aesthetic.

I also hated "Guns. Lots of guns." Like, go for the cheesy reference if you want but don't literally use the same line, it's nowhere near obscure enough.

The Matrix came out 20 years ago. I went to a Best Buy recently and the website said they had a copy, but it wasn't on the shelf so I asked someone about it. I had to spell the name of the movie because they'd never heard of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Accident Man is very good and a great intro to Adkins if someone has never seen him. It was definitely discussed in the action movie thread.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Firstborn posted:

There's another super violent one. I think it's... The Night Comes For Us. Check that out if you can. If you like John Wick you'll probably dig this one.

Yea it has a bunch of people from the Raid movies. Another one on Netflix by the same director is Headshot, also starring Iko Uwais.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The people who are at the level of being members with The Continental are a tiny minority in the criminal underworld, at least that's how I interpret it. Like, Viggo's crew had John Wick working for them, but I assume they didn't just send John Wick out to do just any job. He was on retainer for the really serious jobs. Same with Cassian, he's hired as the Gianna Diantonio's personal bodyguard and head of security, but I assume that he's the only one in her close inner circle that has Continental membership. Operators like that are highly sought after and get paid a lot more than the average goon, which is why the privileges of the Continental are so important and so prized.

So yea, the movie centers around the ultimate Assassin of all Assassins, John Wick so a lot of the people he encounters are also top-level assassins. But below that you still have the huge organized crime groups that have their own operations going on with armies of thugs and hitmen that aren't necessarily in with the Continental or even aware that it exists.

Think of Continental members like Jedi, something very rare that the average criminal would hardly ever encounter or know anything about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

I have a feeling that killing a high table member may actually be a pretty big deal. It's why Santino does it through a proxy. A proxy he immediately puts a hit out on because he presumably could never admit to contracting it himself.

And of course why Wick has two different caches of weapons set up for after the job is done, Santino's moves are obvious. Nobody wants him in charge because he's an impulsive power hungry idiot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CVagts posted:

It felt like several actors were trying to out scenery-chew each other, between McShane and Fishburne in particular, but Dacascos just smokes everybody.

Dacascos is a rare find for them because he's a guy who has the acting ability to be a memorable villain and then of course he can do any of the fight choreography you need him to and then some. That's one definite point in favor of Parabellum, the first 2 movies had villains who really in the end couldn't stand up to Wick and give him a real fight. Ruby Rose gave it a good effort but she just couldn't hang and it was over so quickly.

Kinda makes me wish he'd survived the movie because you don't find guys like that just hanging out on the street. The name that jumps out at me immediately for the next movie would be Scott Adkins, or if Common came back that would be awesome too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I paid a few bucks to rent Undisputed III and Boyka just for Adkins and they were definitely worth it. Also Accident Man.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
90% of Morocco is the Halle Berry stuff, which was great. The scene where he's wandering the desert and then meets the Elder is like 10 minutes, hardly anything I think is worth complaining about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

Just got back from seeing it, holy poo poo what a ride. For my part it was quite a bit better than (the still very good) part 2, and the best parts meet or even surpass the quality of part 1. I really like the confidence with which they're now fully leaning into the series' aesthetic and setting. Aside from the great action, I was occasionally struck by just how good certain shots looked, and how well the soundtrack worked together with it. Towards the finale I actually got slight Shadowrun vibes from the combination, thought that might just be me being a goon.

Honestly, as much as we love to gush over Keanu(and for good reason) and the action choreography, it's the visual style that keeps me coming back to these movies again and again. It's very very hard to find that kind of visual flair in action movies, especially with the typical blockbusters we're getting from the various comic book franchises.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I think we can assume that the only ones jumping at that 7 million bounty were the overly ambitious amateurs like Perkins. The combination of doubling the bounty and then the excommunicato would've made it much more tempting for the top level people to take the chance that maybe Wick isn't quite what he used to be.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

I liked Morocco over all but I kinda zoned out during the big fight.

Winston and John are in on it. Neither of them love the Table. Or, at least, Winston pulled a risky move and knew John would probably survive.
No way he'd turn on a friend like that.

I'm kinda surprised there's even debate about that, it seemed very obvious to me just based on the way it all went down and Winston's facial expressions afterwards when talking to the Adjudicator.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
With everything going on I definitely didn't notice how complex the mirrors setup was in the theater, but yea I remember when I finally got my hands on the blu ray and I sat down to watch it for the first time, the implications of that scene and how crazy it must've been to film clicked and I was like "yea.....I'm gonna be watching this movie an obscene number of times".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
In terms of gunplay(hand to hand fighting is a different discussion), the choreography has mostly been a steady improvement from 1 to 2 to 3. There are some moments in John Wick that look a bit overly choreographed and sluggish compared to Chapter 2. Chapter 3 focused a bit less on gunplay but what is there is pretty flawless imo.

It's easy to forget how fresh and unique the choreography in the original felt at the time though. John Wick(along with Kingsman, which should probably get more credit than it does) has almost completely changed the game in just a few short years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^^Yea that's exactly what I'm getting at, you beat me to it

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s really important to point out that they haven’t so much “changed the game” as much as they just started listening to all their Asian fight choreographers saying “why do you guys over edit everything? Just like frame the action and light it so people can see what is happening”

Like action movies from the East have looked this good and been this brutal for over a decade, they just never got mainstream appeal. John Wick stands in such a stark contrast to Marvel style action and that helped it find its footing in our audience but it’s not exactly an innovation they can claim.

Innovation is probably not the right way to put it, but I do think John Wick stands as an important example for other American filmmakers that you can have your cake and eat it too. You can cast an actor with star power AND have impressive looking action choreography that has real flow to it. You don't have to compromise on either just because Liam Neeson made one really successful revenge flick.

In the past I think they shied away from it because that kind of choreography, with the wider angles and less cuts, takes lots of training to make it look good. And so they figured ok well we can have a big star in the lead role but we can't ask them to spend all this time in intense training. I think Keanu putting John Wick out there said to the whole industry that you can ask more of actors and it will absolutely show itself in the final product.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

And even if you do have actors who put in the time, it will still often take quite a bit longer to actually film. Even with a whole cast of trained and motivated people there are lots of thing that can go wrong during an action scene that require another take (or fifty). At least if you're committed to clear, long shots. If you're doing the whole rapid cuts thing it's much easier to cobble something together from a handful of individually flawed takes.

There was actually a documentary about Jackie Chan's movies that went into same thing. Chan is a huge perfectionist, and will happily do upwards of a hundred takes to get a particular sequence just right. The results are impressive, but that's only really possible because Chan has enough clout to get studios to go along with how much time it takes to make that happen.

I like to think that when it comes to this aspect of it, the worm has turned and studios understand the kind of action people want. Ten quick cuts just to show a punch being thrown just isn't acceptable anymore, and John Wick was definitely a contributor to that change.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh poo poo, looks like JW3 is up to buy on VUDU, I know what I'm doing with my weekend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

And John Wick is that good, it's just that all the movies take place over the course of like a week of non-stop running, so by the time he's fighting the dudes from The Raid in Chapter 3, he's EXHAUSTED.

And I think the point is that Wick's specialty was never just going head-on into an army of guys and mowing through them, although obviously we've seen he's capable of that. Like Winston says, the thing he does best is "hunt", and I think the only time we truly see Wick in his element is Chapter 2 when he actually has a mission to perform and some time to prepare for it.

Like, I have no doubt that if Wick had a week to rest and prepare between Chapter 2 and 3, things would've gone down a whole different way but they're giving him zero time to breath and he's just improvising the best he can.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He also would've known that Wick was retired for years and so if he's all of the sudden back in the game and in Rome, the list of his possible targets is fairly short.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I found a funny webforum that talked about cool ideas for a John Wick spinnoff and some guy was feverishlypushing his theory that Willem Dafoe's character was AKSHULLY the dude who shot Kennedy

That'd mean Dafoe is like at a minimum 70 years old in John Wick so....I guess technically it could work? Dafoe does look very weathered.

Anyway he works for the CIA and seems to be known for his sniping skills so hey why not.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

I hope JW4 is more like JW1, but I know it won't be. 1 is basically perfect, and I like the opening bit of 2, but after Santino shows up, it really loses me for the duration. That continues into 3 until Dacascos shows up and I appreciate the effort and staging of the final slugfest.

We'll see.

Yea the ship has sailed on that I'm afraid. I feel lucky in that I absolutely love the direction the series has taken but there's definitely a lot of people who enjoyed the more streamlined simplicity of the original and they're unfortunately being left behind as things get crazier and crazier with each sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe that's my problem with 2/3. JW1 was a standard Mob Revenge Story with Magical Realism Hitman World sprinkled in for flavor.

Now it's like Harry Potter with hitmen instead of wizards hidden in plain sight from muggles and they have to stop to explain the gold coins instead of horcruxes.

I love how over the top everything has become with the High Table and all the various factions, BUT one thing I really missed in Chapter 3 was the revenge aspect. Wick is a character who just mows through people without mercy, he's really not a good guy at all, and so I think giving him a bit of righteous anger that the audience can relate to was pretty crucial in the original(and to a lesser extent Chapter 2 as well, Santino blew up Johns house and caused him to lose all the mementos of his wife).

Chapter 3 is really just 100% an on-the-run story and so it was a little harder to root for Wick and fist pump when he does what he does. The fact that Keanu is the one playing Wick is really doing a lot of the heavy lifting there, it's very easy to root for him, but the dog being killed in the original was such a perfect way to allow the audience to be on his side despite knowing what he's done in the past.