Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Are the dogs okay? This is important.

I'm super loving keen for this. I missed the first in cinemas because i dismissed among the other taken cash ins (90s leading man doing action) and really regret. This looks loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

504 posted:

Ah, another in the line of "thrilling action" movies where the indestructible, perfect at everything, never in the slightest danger hero slaughters unending hordes of automatic weapon wielding baddies by doing impossible things and only being shot where hes wearing magic body armor.

Hes back from his permanent retirement. Again. Again.

The cool thing about Wick is that he doesn't do impossible things. Keanu Reeves is in really good shape, but he still moves like a real human who's in his 50s.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are you still on the fence about seeing this? Watch these and go see it immediately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xii9_oWQ7HY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2RJPrY2Og

Halle Berry really impressed me. There were a few little moves of hers that were actually more fluid than Keanu's.

It's crazy how quickly these have gotten much bigger and crazier. The first, which is still a really good, lean action film, feels so small compared to this one, which I kept figuring must have blown its wad (I didn't think they'd top the knife fight, that was Jackie Chan level intricate) and just kept ratcheting things up. I counted at least 6 major set pieces (depending how much you want to split up some of them) and everyone was really different. That body armour fight was my favourite. It was that brief gag where he throat punches the dude with a pistol so he can reload, but drawn out into a whole scene.

Dacascos loving blew me away. I was absolutely sure he was going to blow up after Drive and le Pacte Des Loups, but it never quite happened (the martial arts boom had kind of faded by the time he came along. He was in Kickboxer 5, which does exist) so it's great to see him getting high profile work and completely walking away with the movie. Having him as a sushi chef waiting for the adjudicator was a nice gag. If you didn't know he spent a few years as the chairman on the US remake of Iron Chef.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah Mark Dacascos is awesome in this. Hard to believe he's 55.

Him and the ninjas absolutely stole the show.

Arglebargle III posted:

I wanted this to be better than 2 but it wasn't. I wouldn't cut the library fight, killing a guy with a book was a great addition. The whole Morocco and "the Elder" stuff was stupid and could have been cut without making any difference to the story. Going to see the Elder doesn't accomplish anything since it doesn't remove the hit on Wick and we never really believe he's going to go kill the only acquaintance he has left.. It's 40 minutes that don't need to be in the movie and is the most egregious about nonsense world-building as well.

I gotta disagree with you there. The elder sequence is a reminder that the only way out is under the approval of the table, and it makes Winston, the only thing like a friend he has, turning on him that much more bitter. He helped Winston fin another way, possibly free of the table, and he ran back to them with open arms. It sets up that the high table ruins and corrupts everything, and that no one is able to make real choices while its there

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Violator posted:

I’m really surprised people like the John Wick super fan bad guy. I like the actor but felt it the comedy was a downgrade from Common, Ruby Rose, and Viggo.

He was sold as a threat a lot better than Ruby and Viggo. Common was his own beast, but I like the idea of a guy who thinks of himself as John's peer, only to discover he isn't.

I rewatched the first recently and, with the sequels, it casts Viggo in a slightly different sight. From the moment Aurelio tells him why he hit Iosef, Viggo knows he's hosed. He goes through the motions, sending guys after John and laying a trap for him, but he know it's all pointless and this is the Faustian price for asking for John's help.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought the answer to the question "why not just shoot her" was just "that wouldn't do anything and no one really wastes their time attacking things for no reason in these films except Theon Greyjoy".

She's like the embodiment of the corporation in 'The Boys'

They'd just send another Adjudicator who would probably look very similar to the last one.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's darkly hilarious for the Adjudicator.

It feeds into the idea that she has no identity beyond that of the will of the council. Anything that she might have been before that is either shorn away or no longer relevant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The villain's main heavy did, yes. The protagonist used a regular combat knife. The extremely cool fight in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-Sn3fiSxw&t=348s

The Man From Nowhere is hella good. It's only really got one big action scene in it, but it's a hell of a scene. The director's follow up, 'No Tears for the Dead" was also excellent, though similarly glacially paced. Korean cinema seems to be one of the few cinemas that really understand how loving terrifying knives and knife fights are.

Also, I'm really not trying to be a dick and this is an honest question to correct my mistake. I'm not clear what I got probated for, what would have been the correct term/terms/pronouns?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Asia Kate Dillon prefers they/them, from what I’ve read.

I get you though, it’s an honest mistake. I didn’t know about Dillon being non-binary until I did the light research needed for the OP.

Yeah, i read a few interviews with them, and the article used 'she/her' etc in a semi-woke publication. I know better going forward.

I was just trying to make a point about the tattoo. It doesn't really jibe with a humourless enforcer of the high council, and i like the idea that whatever they were before, they're now just 'the adjudicator.' It's left there as the one marker of their old identity.

It goes with the form concealing costume which kind of reminded me of the costumes in Titus, which tried to imagine Roman Empire outfits in a modern setting. Made me think of one of those very specific and important officials the Romans had.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

I would love to see a London Continental run by Ray Winstone.

Can i suggest the film 'Accident Man' which has a british pub exclusively for assassins run by Ray Stevenson. It's pretty good if really low budget and very Scott Adkinsy. Not that Scott Adkins is a bad thing, but it's almost it's own little sub genre of action film now. Dude's a worker.

Basebf555 posted:

The Matrix came out 20 years ago. I went to a Best Buy recently and the website said they had a copy, but it wasn't on the shelf so I asked someone about it. I had to spell the name of the movie because they'd never heard of it.

I was in a pub over the weekend and one of the people i was drinking with was 20. He was born the year the Matrix came out. He was six when Batman Begins came out. I realised this because I referenced both films and he hadn't seen either of them.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Hong Kong - Chow Yun Fat
Tokyo - Tadanobu Asano
Barcelona - Antonio Banderas

France - Jean Reno
Russia - Dolph Lundgren.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

In retrospect he didn't get that many guns, only like two

It was cool that they spent all that time building up how many guns he had and how cool the bullets were with all the fetishy closeups, and then they do essentially nothing against the goons. It made the payoff when he switched guns and ammo really loving satisfying.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Xealot posted:

Yeah, it’s not like Keanu Reeves filmed in real-time. He’s slowing down because the character is exhausted. The Raid guys even comment as much. It’s a narrative choice that makes sense.

And those guys toying with him even pays off in the fight not being one to the death.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

So I'm getting the feeling that if I like this series I'd like The Raid?

Unless you hate good things, yeah.

Rageaholic posted:

The Raid and Dredd came out around the same time and use the same concept, but while Dredd is loving great, The Raid is even better.

It's pretty much a modern classic.

If you combined the Raid's action with Dredd's everything else, you'd have the greatest action film ever made.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vincent posted:

Do you have a link to that post? Or what thread it was in? The little snippet you posted here is hella interesting.

it was in the john wick 2 theard. It was hella interesting, especially that there are multiple massive, spectacular paintings based on instances of the Italian army getting its rear end kicked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I really love the way people show deference to John through fear in 1 and sort of in 2, the way people are treating John like a party trick in 3 really turned me off.

I love the Raid and think those dudes are literally the Mozarts of Violence but any scene where someone could kill John and doesn’t rips me out of the films so fast I get whiplash.

It's just the Raid dudes who do that, and it turns out not to be a fight to the death.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Origami Dali posted:

You're talking about when he has the blade to Keanu's throat and Keanu just... walks right into it, so Decascos starts backing up. I loved that moment, it's a total psych-out power move that throws off the aggressor. You'll see it in boxing from time to time, and most of the time the opponent reacts the same way.

It's in a few samurai movies as well. They hold the blade straight out and the hero just strides forward. It happens a lot in the Lone Wolf and Cub movies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This was my one issue with that movie too, like it did a little too much and too little world building at the same time. With Santino especially, we're told it would be chaos and horrible if he got a seat at the high table like this is a permanent game changing event. But like, how is he any worse than any of these other full time treacherous crime lord assholes that have folks assassinated at the drop of a hat and so on? Like if he does kill her wouldn't it just be a given because of how word gets around that everyone on earth would know she was killed by John Wick because Santino cashed in his thumbloodstub?

I think the idea is that Santino is a dumbshit who hasn't considered any of this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I just watched JW2 like 3 days ago and we aren’t really given a sense of what Santino joining the table will do. It’s implied that it’s a dick move, certainly, but I imagine the High Table is basically in a constant state of musical chairs (but with murder instead of Pop! goes the Weasel). Also anyone who cares enough will just see “John Wick went to Italy, need Dinner Reservations for... 64” and be like “ugh I really hope that is not my problem”

I have a feeling that killing a high table member may actually be a pretty big deal. It's why Santino does it through a proxy. A proxy he immediately puts a hit out on because he presumably could never admit to contracting it himself.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Most of the mooks slaughtered by Zero’s crew or John and Sofia were just expecting another day of guard duty, but you gotta wonder what Charon and the skeleton crew of red shirts were thinking when they were forewarned of a High Table death squad and chose to stay for Winston’s benefit.

Maybe it's like the samurai system: you're their retainer, and you stand by them. That's the job and deserting has worse consequences. I mean, Viggo never deals with any desertion, even from his last 4 guys, several of whom have watched Wick slaughter their mates.

Basebf555 posted:

And of course why Wick has two different caches of weapons set up for after the job is done, Santino's moves are obvious. Nobody wants him in charge because he's an impulsive power hungry idiot.

Exactly. It's not that the job is that hard (Wick has to kill a dozen or so guards on his way out, light work for him) it's that no one would do it, because the high table is inviolate.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

It would have been way more believable if the Pope was the one above the table rather than a random Bedouin convoy roaming the Sahara.

It ties into the (possibly apochryphal) origins of the assassins as a fanatical cult founded during the crusades to match the knightly orders.

Is that actually a thing? I've read a couple of histories of the crusades and they only mention them obliquely. I don't know if that's because they weren't really a thing or because they didn't really reflect the grand flow of events, just being great colour.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grenrow posted:

I also have to assume that if some chump like Perkins from the first movie showed up to kill her and didn't have the connection that John and her apparently did, Gianna probably could have just murdered them personally. She killed herself because she figured John would get her anyways and wanted to go out with dignity on her own terms.

Gianna is the smartest person in the movies, just accepting that she's hosed. It's actually a great scene and the actress sells it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mp5 posted:

Is Earl in this third movie? I don't remember seeing him.

He brings the Bowery King news a couple of times. I tried to spot if he gets killed but the attack of the ninjas goes by so very quickly.

Man, it is crazy the extent to which Dacascos just walks off with the movie. It's a hell of a performance both in and out of the action scenes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Violator posted:

What the gently caress is up with a Scott Adkins? I was reading some Vern reviews and he’s apparently the king of awesome b-movie action movies? I had never heard of him before but apparently he’s a low budget legend?

This is true. Scott Adkins is fuckin' awesome and incredibly loving cockney. Watch at least a few of the below

Undisputed 2, 3 and 4, Ninja 1 and 2 (moreso 2) and Avengement. Oh, and Universal Soldier - Day of Reckoning.

Basebf555 posted:

Dacascos is a rare find for them because he's a guy who has the acting ability to be a memorable villain and then of course he can do any of the fight choreography you need him to and then some. That's one definite point in favor of Parabellum, the first 2 movies had villains who really in the end couldn't stand up to Wick and give him a real fight. Ruby Rose gave it a good effort but she just couldn't hang and it was over so quickly.

Kinda makes me wish he'd survived the movie because you don't find guys like that just hanging out on the street. The name that jumps out at me immediately for the next movie would be Scott Adkins, or if Common came back that would be awesome too.

Dacascos just had rotten luck. He's good looking, charismatic, works way harder than the movie requires and is a hell of a screen fighter, but by the time he came along, the bubble for martial arts movies had well and truly burst, and so he just got roles like 'Kickboxer 5.' He still managed to make 'Drive' (which is dope) and 'The Brotherhood of the Wolf' (also dope, and has the same cinematographer as John Wick) but if he'd come along just a few years earlier, he'd have been a really big dea.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh I also like the part where he just gets up and stands facing the wall to chameleon and hide from Zero

The attack on the ballet school being filmed like a really violent musical and stage play was one of the many instances of the film executing a pretty basic plot beat with so much style that it becomes an amazing scene.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Single Tight Female posted:

Also since it's uncredited but got me pumped immediately, the leader of the gang in the first attack is Fiendish Dr. Wu from Black Dynamite!

The film is full of 'hey, it's that guy!' moments.

I just love that, if you grabbed Dacascos and Anjelica Huston at any prior points in their careers and told them 'you, Marc Dacascos, star of Kickboxer 5, will one day stab you, Oscar winning actress Anjelica Huston through the hands in the middle of a musical scene about ninjas' both would really struggle to imagine how their careers got to that point, and be delighted by the result.

One of the things we have to thank Spielberg for is that, thanks to him, what would once have been b-movies with no talent or money attached have become things that really good actors gleefully act in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly, as much as we love to gush over Keanu(and for good reason) and the action choreography, it's the visual style that keeps me coming back to these movies again and again. It's very very hard to find that kind of visual flair in action movies, especially with the typical blockbusters we're getting from the various comic book franchises.

It's an interesting contrast with something like 'Revenger' on Netflix. It's another high action premise made largely by a stunt team (the lead is some Korean stuntman who's been around forever) and while the casts physical efforts are amazing, the film making just isn't there. There's a lack of interesting compositions or cuts, but even basic things like the 180 degree rule and other versions of spacial editing aren't really respected.

porfiria posted:

For me the issue with the desert dude is that his and entourage's design, at least to my untrained eyes, was basically just Traditional Bedouin Stuff, whereas the rest of the John Wick-Verse has slightly skewed past/present looks that help sell the fantasy.

That's kind of the thing. Everything else is from a strange hyperreality, while the stuff in Morocco feels uncreative. I think it would have worked if they went crazier with it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was a story that, long before they started shooting, the cinematographer mocked up the hall of mirrors in a warehouse or something, and just played around, working out what could be done and what couldn't. He was involved from very early on.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
My only two complaints about this movie were that he didn't use a karambit (karambits are dope) and, with all the glass getting thrown around, no one ever used it as a weapon.

Iko Uwais and Tak Sakaguchi need to be in the next one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

You should watch Man of Tai Chi if you haven’t already, it’s on Netflix. Keanu directs and plays the main antagonist, and while it’s not the best action movie, it’s really good for a directorial debut. He pulls off some genuinely clever stuff with blocking, though nothing quite as bonkers as Stahelski did with the ninja guys assaulting the Bowery in JW3.

I love that sequence, and the one where they attacked the ballet school, which legit turned into a musical number for a moment, complete with very stagey lightning effects.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Is there a good write-up of the art symbolism, especially in JW2?

yeah, in this thread, somewhere.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I once made an action film (as a student) and yes, long takes are loving horrific in terms of work. Look at the post-apocalyptic "one take" Batman sequence in BvS; some of those hits are pretty drat sloppy but I'm sure Affleck wasn't willing to do 50 takes in his Bat-Suit just to get it just right.

BTW, I ended up cutting my movie more than I wanted. We did the fight 5 times, from 3 angles, and then I put it together. Watched it again like 10 years later and it was insanely bad, because I kept breaking the left-right flow and reversing fighter positions.

My favourite story about a long take action scene was from Hard Boiled, the best John Woo film (don't @ me)

The heroes move down a corridor, killing dozens of goons in the process. They then get in an elevator and kill a bunch more on the next level.

Except they didn't go up a level. While the two actors were in the elevator, they cleaned up the explosion and blood wracked floor they'd just left, resetting everything in about 30 seconds, and then shot it all up again. It's just amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bozxgVQ9m0

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Oh poo poo, looks like JW3 is up to buy on VUDU, I know what I'm doing with my weekend.

Drinking Blantons while counting all the people killed? i'm betting...173 total.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Violator posted:

Eh, I might suggest that his mythology is based on his tenacity and not his skills of always winning. No matter what you do to him, he’s like the Terminator and keeps coming for you. When there is nothing left, he’ll use whatever it takes — like a loving pencil! — to kill you. The bad guy’s speech about him is all about him being a single and powerful force of will that accomplishes his goals iirc.

It's like how Mad Max is always very much a real person with human limitations, who also accomplishes massive, impossible things.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If the Equalizer films were as good as Denzel's perfomances in them, they'd be unparalleled classics. As it is, they're perfectly competent films with really good lead perfomances and not a lot else going on.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I always thought Denzel was one of those guys who was only in good movies but then he did that one about the CIA using a time machine to go back and stop a mid level politician from getting blown up and I was like “there has never been a dumber movie” and that was like 10 years ago.

that was one of those really good ideas for movies that didn't quite work in the execution.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Looks like more of the same.

:dance:

yeah, i'm fine with this franchise just continuing to do the exact same thing in increasingly elaborate and insane ways that make earlier entries look quaint by comparison. I'll be interested to hear how Yen meshes. The word back in the day was that he had a real ego on him (not completely unjustified) and was hard as gently caress to work with unless it was his set. Wonder how that'll play with a high demand set like Wick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

My assumption when I saw that Yen had joined the cast was that he'd basically have one big set piece showdown with Wick and maybe a few little scenes to set that up, but that he wouldn't be a huge presence in the movie. The trailer doesn't have anything that really changes my mind about that.

that's a nice throwback to how Benny the Jet would show up for one action scene but not be in the rest of the movie at all. There's probably a name for that phenomenon in HK film making. It's like a very particular form of guest starring. Bolo Yeung showing up for one fight in Brandon Lee's "Legacy of Rage"