Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got back from seeing it, holy poo poo what a ride. For my part it was quite a bit better than (the still very good) part 2, and the best parts meet or even surpass the quality of part 1. I really like the confidence with which they're now fully leaning into the series' aesthetic and setting. Aside from the great action, I was occasionally struck by just how good certain shots looked, and how well the soundtrack worked together with it. Towards the finale I actually got slight Shadowrun vibes from the combination, thought that might just be me being a goon.

As for the desert scene, in retrospect it's actually sort of growing on me. The series has been steeped in mythological and religious themes and language especially since the second part, and that meeting was basically a continuation of those themes. To Wick, the entire system he operates in is essentially god-given. The Chamber, with all its rules and offices, is its church. While Wick may be willing to kill some of its members, or break some of its rules, the system as a whole remains eternal and implacable. So when he found himself at the end of his rope, it did not even occur to him to go outside the system. No, instead he merely tries to circumvent the "church" and instead speak to "god" directly. From that perspective, it does feel appropriate that the meeting feels very detached from the world and even rather surreal. And of course it happens in a desert :v:

That also fits quite nicely with the finale. Wick finally defies god for good, falls from grace, and finds himself in hell. And who would be there but Laurence Fishburne, reigning it from an actual throne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If I had been the CG guy responsible for tracking which reflection should show up in which mirror at which angle, I'd probably have suffered a nervous breakdown like three minutes in. Just goddamn. :psyduck:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

And even if you do have actors who put in the time, it will still often take quite a bit longer to actually film. Even with a whole cast of trained and motivated people there are lots of thing that can go wrong during an action scene that require another take (or fifty). At least if you're committed to clear, long shots. If you're doing the whole rapid cuts thing it's much easier to cobble something together from a handful of individually flawed takes.

There was actually a documentary about Jackie Chan's movies that went into same thing. Chan is a huge perfectionist, and will happily do upwards of a hundred takes to get a particular sequence just right. The results are impressive, but that's only really possible because Chan has enough clout to get studios to go along with how much time it takes to make that happen.