Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I bought my ticket for Friday evening's show. Then said gently caress it, checked, and bought Thursday's first showing.

So there maybe for both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I bought tickets to Friday showing of Wick, i then said duck it and bought Thursday showing and ON THE DAY OF they have it in the big XD theater but they didn’t have this option yesterday.

So of course I bought that ticket for today.

I have 3 tickets to John Wick and will probably end up seeing one of them...not sure I should ask for refund

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That was awesome. I’m gonna post thoughts in a bit

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My thoughts.

Loved the first 40 or so minutes, it was definitely brutal yet hilarious.
Mark Dacascos was hilarious as a Wick fan and fantastic. He's still incredibly athletic.
I loved how cordial Yayan and Cecep were when fighting John. Although it's brutally obvious they're on another level. I'm so glad to see them get notable time and in a way that adds to the weirdness and humor.
I loved the entire film.
I thought Halle Berry was good too even if she telegraphed action and everything had to slow around her.
Attack Dogs rocked.
I liked seeing where the coins were made and Morocco was atmospheric.
I liked The Elder and the Coinmaker.
I thought it neat-o that the Ballet symbolizes what everyone goes through for these kinds of movies. Anjelica Houston was good.
The Continental and Concierge are cool beans.
Dogs are important.
Also that John is from Belarus. Does this imply he's a Gypsy?

I thought the movement was weak to have Wick go all the way out, meet the Elder, then quickly turn upon his return but I'm not going to complain as I enjoyed the journey.
The movie did feel more like an extension or bridge than a natural continuation of the story.

I'm gonna guess it'll be shown that Winston was a jerk but saved Wick and managed to re-instate his hotel so he can help him on the sly. Now The High Table has enemies.
I'm gonna kinda hope that the next movie opens with Wick hunting and the movie is a series of boss fights around the world as John goes on a High Council killing spree.
I hope that Joe Talsim and Iko Uwais make it in the next one.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 17, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It does occur to me that John has limits when he fights the Raid guys. I felt that fight was over too suddenly but I also blame that I’ve seen them in other movies go so hard for long.. Like John’s reputation precedes him but the two make excuses for why he’s not outclassing them. And this is sort of the first time John is the big strong heavy who is throwing them around. John in hand to hand is good against most but I like they show he isn’t a complete match to the Raid guys. He does do better against Dacascos.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but Wick was taking it apart for a reason, but the scene went quickly and I kinda missed that. Was it that the cylinder wasn't aligned properly? Or was he taking a cylinder off of one revolver and fitting it to the barrel of another?

It looked to me he was taking it off one revolver and putting it on another. I think the first was stuck or wouldn’t turn so he got a similar gun and reconstructed it with a different barrel.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

Having thought about it, portraying Ruhian and Rahman as like honorable fighters who really are just excited to be able to fight Wick was a pretty clever choice because it allows them to slow their moves down a bit and give Keanu some breaks but with an established in-universe reason for why they'd do that.

Agreed. It also adds a bit of the slightly weird atmosphere Wick’s world has with regards to rules and such.

If you ask me, it sometimes feels like Wick is the straight man to the world he’s in

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 17, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the slowing down stuff I think was intentional. these movies have happened over the span of roughly two weeks, total. he's spent most of that time being punched kicked stabbed shot strangled hit with cars whatever, dude is feeling those two weeks and you're not going to be doing all the cool poo poo all the time if you're just that fuckin beat

It’s intentional in another way as well to me. I think it’s an in joke of Asian/Silat Raid type actors/stunt men/martial artists helping the American action hero by slowing down to his level.

In my opinion the reason it may feel weaker is because the original sold him as being down after losing his wife and dog and car and had a simple through line with pathos (if I’m using the right word) and Keanu sells he’s being dragged back in. He was wronged and it was unjustifiable. In the sequels we don’t get that and it’s shifted to the underworld and he’s a more a regular action hero trying to survive. It should feel personal they’re going after Wick but it’s not the same somehow in my opinion now that it’s opened up. If they either connect to a human/animal element or motivation it may help but it’s grown beyond simplicity. I really want the 4th to be boss fights with unique High Council members maybe with one or two that have history with Wick..

Gatts fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Apparently John Wick 3 beat Avengers Endgame and Pokemon to be #1 at the box office with around $57 million US And $92 million worldwide. I'm optimistic for John Wick 4.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure Winston is going to have his cake and eat it too. He didn’t kill Wick when he could, shot him at his bulletproof suit rather than in the head and let him go over the edge to give him a chance to survive and escape but managed to go back to the High Table’s okay and it shows how much power they have. It’s a betrayal for his own benefit but it can be seen another way. Especially if he still helps Wick.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dredd is like, the manifestation of the oppressive law. He exists as a sort of act or enforcement of a divine will in some sense and you can place stuff on his character. So in that context it works. Don't come at him like a superhero that has 40 odd years of stories and character development with regular tropes. Robocop's original design had Dredd's helmet instead of the one line visor.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked the Morocco and desert Elder scene. Yes, it's me. The one who sees value in it. Please don't ask me to actually spend time compiling my thoughts into rational explanation...right now it just feels right...

The thing I didn't feel good about was the quick flip of purpose after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Take a shot every time John kills a person.