Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I was also surprised they didn’t put a bullet into the adjudicator at the end. You’re going to war with the high council you may as well send a good warning shot at them first that nobody is safe but after reading the thread and the speculation on Winstons motivations I guess it makes sense. I also thought the Bowery King was merely being maimed as punishment and his Long Live the King moment not as an acceptance of death but as a loss of his position. And honestly I was too enthralled in the action that I didn’t pay any attention whatsoever to the music, like I have zero memory of it.

We were also sitting next to an elderly couple and I was surprised but I guess Keanu can literally bring everyone to the yard. Do we still need to spoiler things? Surely if you're in page 7 of this thread you're not going in expecting not to have anything spoiled but I don't feel like getting probed in case I'm wrong and I'm not usually a CD poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

My cinema loved it. It's literally the first time he's done a callback and it's because he's working with the same people again, let us have it. You can talk when he's milking it like Arnie.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The character was originally written as a man in his mid-60s before Keanu came aboard. He's meant to be exactly the age Keanu is. This is a silly discussion. Everything is choreographed so nobody ends up with a bad neck and back at the end of production so I assume it's also exactly the speed at which all that flipping and rolling doesn't hurt after repeated takes.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

So I'm getting the feeling that if I like this series I'd like The Raid?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

They're not streaming not Netflix or Amazon Prime :(

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Another (very goofy) deleted scene has John apparently getting permission from the pope for his kill.
It would have been way more believable if the Pope was the one above the table rather than a random Bedouin convoy roaming the Sahara.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just need to catch my breath, I'll catch up with you.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

You don't use CG to add stuff, you use it to distil a scene down into its purest essence. Its keanu, if you will. :allears:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

This movie made me watch 47 Ronin cause I needed some more Keanu swordplay and that was also the only major movie of his on Netflix right now. It really shows what he's like in the hands of a capable director, I hope Chad Stahleski gets so much credit for this because seeing both relatively close together really does highlight how much better Keanu is when you know how to really film a fight scene. He kinda does the quiet stoic badass thing in both but they're worlds apart.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

You should watch Man of Tai Chi if you haven’t already, it’s on Netflix. Keanu directs and plays the main antagonist, and while it’s not the best action movie, it’s really good for a directorial debut. He pulls off some genuinely clever stuff with blocking, though nothing quite as bonkers as Stahelski did with the ninja guys assaulting the Bowery in JW3.

I really wanted to but sadly it's not on UK Netflix. I will track it down.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I rewatched JW1 this past weekend and I forgot how slow and measured it is. There's hardly a gun or fight in the first 45 minutes. I like how the series has evolved though, but there's something to be said for the sheer simplicity of JW1. It's just a man his dog and a car.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, it makes sense. The "chapter" branding presumably isn't an accident- when it's all said and done, it'll probably feel more like one insane movie split into 4(+) parts than a series.

Yeah, my dad heard about these and told me he watched 3 and didn't understand the story... I had to explain they basically take place over a week and the third starts the same day as the second ends and so on. Why would anyone start with the third one of anything though? :confused:

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but like we’ve seen already that numerous people can beat John Wick.

Like if the Russians in the beginning of the first movie hadn’t left any witnesses

Or if Willem Dafoe had just kept his contract

Or if the two ninjas in 3 hadn’t been so respectful

So the longer the franchise goes on the less mystical he becomes and the less believable him going to war with a bulletproof assassin army becomes.

If the entirety of John Wick 4 is just a single palace siege of John taking down the assassin’s table, I’m gonna be bummed.

You really want a version of this with just Keanu playing Superman and walking into a chaingun of bullets bouncing off his eye? I like that they've set him up to be the best but not stupidly unstoppable. He needs allies and he needs luck, otherwise there's no tension.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but they're recasting Morpheus with a younger actor for Matrix 4.

Younger Morpheus with older Neo and Trinity? I know they'll just handwave it everything away with machine talk babble but I'm gonna miss Larry Fishburne.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

John Wick's shadows gently caress me up.

That looks like Keanu crossed with Chris Hemsworth. They even missed the widow's peak ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

It's also wrong. He didn't kill Viggo's brother. He had a drink with him and agreed to peace.