Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The one thing I can appreciate about the desert scene and the Elder is that it adds to the wider theme of the High Table just being rich people giving themselves fancy titles, as rich people are wont to do. Earlier in the thread the Elder was called a Sultan, and that’s pretty much just what he is. But because rich people can’t ever have enough, he’s gotta call himself the Elder and move around the desert in a tent because gently caress You, I Can. I love how he just pockets Wick’s finger, it’s such a fun little gesture telling us that he 1) does not have anything mystical going on, like, he’s not consuming the finger or anything like that, and 2) he doesn’t give a poo poo if Wick’s bloody finger ruins his outfit, he’s got fifty of them stashed away in another tent.

In that regard, the Elder reminded me a lot of Santino, who waxed poetically about art and got to eat a bullet for all his delusions of grandeur.

I liked the Casablanca bits but would have preferred it if the action stayed in New York or the US. The High Table might be a world-spanning network, but John Wick venturing into deserts and whatnot felt too much like James Bond. On the other hand, it already felt like Wick killed everybody worth killing in New York in JW1 and 2. In fact, I kept asking myself how there were any assassins left there at the start of JW3. Like, did only the chumps answer the call in JW2 because the bounty was so low? Or are only the chumps left to answer the call in JW3 because all the others are dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Due to the thread's recommendation I watched Scott Adkin's The Debt Collector. It was good, in a Not John Wick kind of way. I had never really noticed Louis Mandylor in anything before and was supremeley weirded out all movie long by how much he and his brother look alike. They should remake the Raid Guys fight with these two in JW4.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

I love that sequence, and the one where they attacked the ballet school, which legit turned into a musical number for a moment, complete with very stagey lightning effects.

When the Ninjas walked on stage I expected the dancers either to fight and be slaughtered or just be slaughtered. I'm glad that didn't happen, that moment had much more impact the way it played out.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

In JW1 I took the club fight as problematic for the goons because there were so many patrons around. It was actually kinda refreshing that the bad guys didn't just spray bullets all willy nilly, they tried to corner Wick and failed miserably. I might be misremembering, but I don't think even a single patron died in the shootout.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Also a waste of bullets. The justification on Wick's part is probably that he needs to get each new enemy out of the way as quickly as possible to make room for the next one, and that he doesn't care about ammo because he can always just take the next enemy's weapon after killing them with stationary. Why the other dude wouldn't wait for a clear shot, I have no idea.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Maybe Ghost Trinity and Ghost Neo have to find and save reborn Morpheus?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

And I think the point is that Wick's specialty was never just going head-on into an army of guys and mowing through them, although obviously we've seen he's capable of that. Like Winston says, the thing he does best is "hunt", and I think the only time we truly see Wick in his element is Chapter 2 when he actually has a mission to perform and some time to prepare for it.

Franco Nero's "Are you here for the Pope? :ohdear:" is also a nice touch. If Wick had said "Yes", Nero probably would have just sighed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

John Wick's shadows gently caress me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

They kinda have to be careful with how they handle Wick's Celebrity Assassin status in the next movie. It already feels like Wick has killed all the criminals who did not know about him, and most of the ones who did, so the next movie better not have characters vaguely aware of Wick's background but still underestimating him. There has also been enough hyping of Wick by excited adversaries. The franchise is in a weird place now where the movies' real world popularity could turn Wick's fame into an eye-roller. Like, yeah OK, Wick has killed people with pencils, we know. They told us, then they showed us, so what now?