Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

Hilariously, my wife can put up with an unlimited human body count but will not watch it if there is any animal death/cruelty. I need to watch it first to make sure all the :dogge: are fine before she'll watch it. Then watch it again with her if all the critters make it while all the fuckface humans eat hot lead all day.

Oh no don't make me watch Wick movies multiple times

if 2 is anything to go by, we're out of the dog-dying woods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

504 posted:

Ah, another in the line of "thrilling action" movies where the indestructible, perfect at everything, never in the slightest danger hero slaughters unending hordes of automatic weapon wielding baddies by doing impossible things and only being shot where hes wearing magic body armor.

Hes back from his permanent retirement. Again. Again.

I understand being tired of those types of movies in general, but the JW series is pretty much the best execution of that concept ever, in cinema history and you're doing yourself a disservice by writing them off

Specifically: John is very much not indestructible, the one thing he's perfect at is something he hates the gently caress out of doing, and while the first movie was pretty much establishing him as A Man With Whom You Do Not Want To gently caress, he's basically in mortal danger through the entire second movie and even moreso in this one (and explicitly only gets away from a lot of dangerous situations through guile and dumb luck). And he's being forcibly dragged out of his retirement by arcane criminal rules, not willingly coming back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, this is the first Wick movie where body armor is coming up at all, and it seems to be handled semi-realistically from the trailers (the body armor is penetrable, Wick just has to get in close and use more rounds than usual).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hand Knit posted:

I also felt that Keanu kinda showed his age in the fight against Cecep Rahman and Yayan Ruhian.

WHOA loving WHAT

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mentioned this in genchat, but did the musical score kinda strike anyone else as a little wet-fart-y compared to the first two? Like, the first two movies have loving amazing scores and this one's is... just kinda okay.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

The final battle reused the same score from the second one’s final battle.

Also no La Castle Vania.

Yeah that was kind of what I was thinking of- all the melodies in general seemed to just be riffing off of Plastic Heart from Chapter 2 instead of a new song, and yeah, there wasn't a sick Le Castle Vania track in a nightclub fight (or a nightclub fight at all)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is this movie supposed to be a finale for John Wick movies? Or is the door kept open? That’s all I wanna know.

It straight-up ends on a cliffhanger. Not only is the door open, but we're basically guaranteed to get John Wick 4.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
OH MY GOD THAT WAS JASON MANTZOUKAS!?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I wonder who's above the Elder

Let's go DBZ levels of batshit convoluted hierarchy, c'mon

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Like honestly, for me the crazy comic-book assassin organization stuff is what keeps this from being Yet Another (well-executed) Shootman Movie. It's an almost bizarrely well-sketched world that we're just seeing a tiny glimpse of through the eyes of one guy, and even then there's so much left out. It really makes your imagination go nuts at the possibilities, because every explanation we get raises like five more questions.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Well clearly then the next arc after this the grand elder threatens to remove all dogs from existence except for the winner of a multiversal tournament and its up to John Wick to recruit a team and win it all.

loving exactly I want an assassin tournament arc

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Did you notice that Sofia quotes a line from the Marilyn Manson song that plays throughout the first one? Because that gave me a nice chuckle hahaha

It legit made me low key mad that this movie didn't have a new song like that and just kinda reused the one from 2

I mean that one owned but still, this movie deserved a little better from Tyler Bates, it really just felt like a rehash of 2's score

(also no Le Castle Vania sucked, they better bring him back in 4)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing is I think Keanu slowing down as the movie goes on is at least somewhat deliberate

Like, Wick takes a loving beating over the course of this movie, worse than he has in any of the others, and is basically running on painkillers and adrenaline through the first couple acts

(And then in the last act he's recovering from horrible exhaustion and dehydration so naturally he's not gonna be at his A-game)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Dredd and The Raid are such utterly different movies beyond the basic premise of "cops storm an apartment building to take down a crime lord" that I feel weird comparing them.

Like, even setting aside all the differences in the details of the plot, the two movies handle action very differently. Dredd is almost all gun work, with the focus being way more on the gory results than the technique, whereas The Raid is hand to hand fights with more of a focus on technique and speed. Like, there's nothing equivalent to the Mad Dog fight in Dredd, and that's not a knock on the movie's action, it just literally doesn't have anything that maps cleanly to it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Firstborn posted:

There's another super violent one. I think it's... The Night Comes For Us. Check that out if you can. If you like John Wick you'll probably dig this one.

It also has some nice goon representation, with one of the heroes being a fat white guy who's literally named White Boy Bobby and uses sheet metal as armor

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, it makes sense. The "chapter" branding presumably isn't an accident- when it's all said and done, it'll probably feel more like one insane movie split into 4(+) parts than a series.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Stairmaster posted:

all the dumb boomers in the theater i went to did was cheer loudly at all the kills

If they did that, were they truly dumb?

e: also I kind of love that millenials and olds are connecting over Keanu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

JW1 also has that Marilyn Manson music cue that feels like it was pulled straight out of the 90s.

Killing Strangers is a really good song and JW1 uses it really well.

I kind of like that the first two movies have their own leitmotif, between Killing Strangers in 1 and Plastic Heart in 2 (and yes, I know Plastic Heart is partly based on a score track from 1, but 2 makes it the movie's full-on theme). 3 not having its own was a bit of a bummer, but also kind of makes sense, given they were probably trying to deliberately give it more specific aesthetic ties to 2.