Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not to go all Vince McMahon, but John fighting Mad Dog on his knees felt a little silly. I think the general idea was that they kept cutting him down to keep the fight at their level, but I didn’t get any sense of desperation from John since they were just playing with him. A terrific fight but not exactly what I was expecting.

Also John giving his wedding ring as tribute felt super weird. I understand that he sacrificed it to live, but that he had to learn from Winston that to truly live you must have something to live for, but him giving that away felt weird. Especially since it seemed to lead to an all-black suit and an Evil Superman vibe where he would do the bad guy’s bidding teaming up with the ninjas. But then he just decided not to. I guess it gives him something to reclaim in the next movie.

I liked the fights, but it kinda felt like John Wick vs The Foot Clan once dudes starting rolling in wearing armor and with their faces covered. Also not sure if I liked the bad guy being a Wick super-fan. You can have respect for your opponent, like Common did, without comical hero worship.

Also not a fan of literally falling off a six story building at the end. John getting thrown off a club balcony ducked him up in the first movie, I don’t like seeing this kind of super progression where he can survive anything.

A lot of complaining from me but I really liked it. Stunts, fights, sets, visuals, etc are all getting better and better. Just some of the character choices were ehhh. But they might grow on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

I really, really enjoy how they keep wide shots and don't cut very much. Even if it's clever editing and CGI, that knife fight in the beginning sure looked like a lot of very impressive work by Keanu Reeves. The same goes for Halle Berry's scenes. Long takes, wide angles, and you see her face in almost everything so you really get the impression it's her doing everything. And even if the mainstream actors are a little slow, the fights are staged so that it's not "everyone waits for their turn to fight the hero" syndrome you see elsewhere. The fights progress logically. This is such a breath of fresh air compared to everything else coming out of Hollywood.

I'm super excited for the next one where Laurence Fishburn can unlock his Hannibal S03E01 brawler style. :O Oh, and I just remembered the suplex and Samoan Drop during the Mad Dog fight. NICE.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m really surprised people like the John Wick super fan bad guy. I like the actor but felt it the comedy was a downgrade from Common, Ruby Rose, and Viggo.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

I rewatched the first recently and, with the sequels, it casts Viggo in a slightly different sight. From the moment Aurelio tells him why he hit Iosef, Viggo knows he's hosed. He goes through the motions, sending guys after John and laying a trap for him, but he know it's all pointless and this is the Faustian price for asking for John's help.

I rewatched 1 and 2 the day of 3’s release, and I think this entire franchise is successful because of the phone call between Viggo and John Leguizamo. The “Oh.” after John explains why he struck Iosef is one of the most succinct and successful character building moments I can think of. That 30 second exchange by secondary characters tells you everything you need to know about Wick. It reminds me of the legend building in Desperado, but one backed by the reality of the character instead of using it as a myth to scare bad guys.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Cael posted:

Did they ever say "I have served. I will be of service" in the first two? They probably did and I forgot, it was just so extra repetitive here (though still relevant).

Nope, that’s new in this movie.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Dacascos is a rare find for them because he's a guy who has the acting ability to be a memorable villain and then of course he can do any of the fight choreography you need him to and then some. That's one definite point in favor of Parabellum, the first 2 movies had villains who really in the end couldn't stand up to Wick and give him a real fight. Ruby Rose gave it a good effort but she just couldn't hang and it was over so quickly.

Kinda makes me wish he'd survived the movie because you don't find guys like that just hanging out on the street. The name that jumps out at me immediately for the next movie would be Scott Adkins, or if Common came back that would be awesome too.

What the gently caress is up with a Scott Adkins? I was reading some Vern reviews and he’s apparently the king of awesome b-movie action movies? I had never heard of him before but apparently he’s a low budget legend?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

John Wick tickles the same part of my brain that all those stick figure Kung Fu memes did for me back when AOL was the only browser anyone used.

The artist XiaoXiao had like 8-9 of these and they got progressively crazier and higher quality until he started making basically a short action movie with stick figures and it’s still more or less the standard to which I hold basic combat cinematography.

HOLY poo poo I FOUND ALL OF THEM ON YOUTUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eplAQ3fEr8M

Time stamps in description because 4 & 6 are bad, watch 3 and skip to 7 if you just want the good stuff.

Oh man, I forgot about these. He got pretty good with them.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Isn’t one of the directors of Wick 1 directing the Hobbs & Shaw movie? I’m not too hot on that because it looks belly laugh dumb.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but like we’ve seen already that numerous people can beat John Wick.

Like if the Russians in the beginning of the first movie hadn’t left any witnesses

Or if Willem Dafoe had just kept his contract

Or if the two ninjas in 3 hadn’t been so respectful

So the longer the franchise goes on the less mystical he becomes and the less believable him going to war with a bulletproof assassin army becomes.

If the entirety of John Wick 4 is just a single palace siege of John taking down the assassin’s table, I’m gonna be bummed.

Eh, I might suggest that his mythology is based on his tenacity and not his skills of always winning. No matter what you do to him, he’s like the Terminator and keeps coming for you. When there is nothing left, he’ll use whatever it takes — like a loving pencil! — to kill you. The bad guy’s speech about him is all about him being a single and powerful force of will that accomplishes his goals iirc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gotta have John Leguizamo’s mechanic back for the next one to finally deliver his fully repaired car.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

John Wick 4 needs a 25 minute single take fight scene that takes place entirely within a Home Depot

I really wanted to like those movies, but for some reason they just don’t consistently hit the spot like Wick does. If I remember right, the first one had too many side character tropes. Like his buddy at Home Depot was a misunderstood fat kid or something and I found it blah. I probably need to watch them again because I liked Washington‘s character a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Chapter 4 teaser out.