Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

So does Boban steal the whole film, or does he generously allow other actors to have moments in the sun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Thing is, you can't have a conspiracy without an Old Man of the Desert. Preposterous. Can't be done

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pirate Radar posted:

Tickled by the idea that this one dude walking around in the desert oversees all the crime in the world and knows who John Wick is and what he’s been doing the last few weeks right away. We missed out on a scene where he’s on the phone like “okay so fill me in... wait, he did what?”

But it’s just the plot of Assassin’s Creed anyway

Assassin’s Creed (from what I can tell, I’ve never played them but did see the movie) is just sewn together bits from traditional conspiracy theory mythology with most of the genuine weirdness replaced by melodrama and a self referential framing story. Check out Foucalt’s Pendulum and The Prague Cemetary for Umberto Eco riffing on the same ideas while also providing some of the history of their development (mixed liberally with total bs, naturally)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bust Rodd posted:

I think it’s really important to point out that they haven’t so much “changed the game” as much as they just started listening to all their Asian fight choreographers saying “why do you guys over edit everything? Just like frame the action and light it so people can see what is happening”

Like action movies from the East have looked this good and been this brutal for over a decade, they just never got mainstream appeal. John Wick stands in such a stark contrast to Marvel style action and that helped it find its footing in our audience but it’s not exactly an innovation they can claim.

It’s not a special quality of the mystic East, it’s that most American films have to cast a famous name to get a budget and most famous actors are not also acrobats and martial artists. There are lots of edits because there is no actual fight, not because it didn’t occur to them to show it more plainly. SE Asian, Chinese, and Korean action movies typically have lower budgets and are not star vehicles, and when they are it’s usually for an actor who IS an acrobat or martial artist.