Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Introduction: What is this game?
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic (DMOMM) by Arkane was a novel title for its time, published in 2006 it was made on the (then) brand spanking new Source engine. The game is a hybrid of a first-person slasher with some light RPG elements. The selling point of this game was the fact that you could customize your approach towards situations. This really was an effective selling point in my case, I rarely buy games on day 1 but when I saw the following advertisement video I was immediately sold on the premise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZxy1bpDLw

So why play it?
Because pin balling a black guard down a rafter or tossing an orc into a bed of spikes is awesome. The combat in this game is really visceral and advanced for the time. I find this game highly satisfying to play and it makes great use of the Source engine’s physics. Admittedly its not very balanced: kicking enemies is absolutely overpowered but its so dang fun that it hardly matters. The game does have settings that make it a lot harder including hard and hardcore difficulties, the main difference with them is that you take WAY more damage and become far less survivable in combat. In a way these difficulties actually promote more cheesing, so we’ll stick to normal for the vanilla experience.

What’s the story?
The setting is Might and Magic. The story itself is a B-grade fantasy trope, but charming in a way. The basic premise is that you’re a wizard’s apprentice Sarif and you are sent to deliver a magical crystal to your bosses colleague for some sort of expedition onto an island. The twist? He first possesses you with a succubus demon lady. The game does have a minor “karma” system where the ending is changed by a choice you make in the game; however, its mostly a linear on-rails sort of deal. This is actually a good thing because it helps a lot with the weapon balance as you nearly always find items that are immediately useful to you rather than sorting through junk like in Skyrim.

What are you going to be doing?
This is done in a co-commentary format where I will be playing with a friend I met from graduate school. Expect banter and (an attempt at) observational humor. We’ll be going for a warrior-hybrid build where we will first focus on upping our melee combat and then picking up some low-grade magic abilities. The highlights in magic will be charm and freeze. The former allows an enemy to fight for you while the latter is like a page from Sub-Zero's move set: either you can freeze an enemy or you can freeze the ground to make them slip. We’ll also be trying to find most of the secrets in the game, well at least the ones I can recall. The kick and throw will be used prolifically.

Editing will be moderate, only repetitive stuff will be thrown out. Combat will be kept in as much as possible as its really the main point here.

Arachnophobia Warning!
I don't think its a big spoiler but the Necromancer Goddesses spirit animal is a spider so people with arachnophobia, be warned.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

This game had quite a few funny glitches.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 24, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice. This game is so much fun. It's quite a kick. But you're not going to play through the entire Heroes of Might and Magic 5 to set up the story before this game? :v:

Ten centuries shall the let's play stand

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Hey, you should see if Coolguye and TheLastRoboKy could guest for an episode. This LP looks pretty neat!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dark messiah: the journey of the mighty boot.

It was pretty unlucky for everyone else that the wall mounted spikes became a massive hit for interior decorators at this time.

I remember the older lp, and the 'oh wow, the island savages have wall-spikes as well, we can totally find common ground!' sorta line one of the commentators had upon seeing the silliness that was wooden wall spikes in ruins.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
HELLO THIS GAME IS AMAZING

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

In this episode the main game begins: we get to Stonehelm, kill an undead cyclops and wander around town trying to find all of the secrets and loot. Oh yeah and we find some pie...in a box.

drkeiscool posted:

Hey, you should see if Coolguye and TheLastRoboKy could guest for an episode. This LP looks pretty neat!

Yeah I would be interested in that. Actually if this LP goes well I would be willing to do a Mage playthrough and a Hardcore playthrough for completeness.

Poil posted:

Nice. This game is so much fun. It's quite a kick. But you're not going to play through the entire Heroes of Might and Magic 5 to set up the story before this game? :v:

Ten centuries shall the let's play stand

I was actually more into Heroes 3 personally.

Coolguye posted:

HELLO THIS GAME IS AMAZING

YES IT IS

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 16, 2019

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Pharohman777 posted:

Dark messiah: the journey of the mighty boot.

It was pretty unlucky for everyone else that the wall mounted spikes became a massive hit for interior decorators at this time.

I remember the older lp, and the 'oh wow, the island savages have wall-spikes as well, we can totally find common ground!' sorta line one of the commentators had upon seeing the silliness that was wooden wall spikes in ruins.

wall spikes are universal constant in all cultures, a common ground for discourse and debate

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

In this episode the game really starts letting us go wild, we're attacked at night by the necromancers and left to our own devices. Plenty of kicking people into various death traps, box throwing and I show off a few of the adrenaline kills. Also, the game really likes the number seven.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You know you're having a bad day at work when some rear end in a top hat kicks you down a flight of stairs and then out a second story window.

The eight son of an eight son is a wizard so the seventh son of a seventh son is a... wizardling?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

NigelThornberry posted:

Yeah I would be interested in that. Actually if this LP goes well I would be willing to do a Mage playthrough and a Hardcore playthrough for completeness.
I played on Hardcore with a fairly strict warrior build back in "THE DAY" so you're already doing fine by playing on a different difficulty IMO. I avoided too much magery because I wasn't interested in doing a ton of editing and mage is a much, much slower way to play the game.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

NigelThornberry posted:

I was actually more into Heroes 3 personally.

That will always be one of my all-time favourite games.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Lots of physics fuckery in this one.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 17, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Coolguye posted:

I played on Hardcore with a fairly strict warrior build back in "THE DAY" so you're already doing fine by playing on a different difficulty IMO. I avoided too much magery because I wasn't interested in doing a ton of editing and mage is a much, much slower way to play the game.

It might be fun to do a few levels with loadouts as the mage or even try a thief/mage hybrid. I recall trying that and actually having quite a bit of fun, there's a lot of sections you can legit stealth kill through.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love the opening parts of this game, the whole (wonky) physics-based combat is utterly fantastic and there has been nothing quite like it since.
Then the loving spiders show up. And keep showing up. And they are everywhere.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

In this episode we continue through Menelag's mansion kicking people down rafters, throwing them off roofs and shooting fireballs. I really like rewatching this one, very action packed.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I should get one those of those ceiling trapdoors with a suicide rope installed. Seems like it could be useful and very practical in the everyday life.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil posted:

I should get one those of those ceiling trapdoors with a suicide rope installed. Seems like it could be useful and very practical in the everyday life.

It really saves on the time you have to tie it yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

I love the opening parts of this game, the whole (wonky) physics-based combat is utterly fantastic and there has been nothing quite like it since.
Then the loving spiders show up. And keep showing up. And they are everywhere.

I don't think its a big spoiler but the Necromancer Goddesses spirit animal is a spider so people with arachnophobia, be warned. I added a warning in the original post.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 18, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Get your Kaptain Krapton's Krystal Krunch today!

https://i.imgur.com/MS2OUDw.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/mI5dd6E.gifv

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 20, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sudden barrel bounce was incredible. :allears:

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Apparently people in this universe are made out of salt or some kind of porous material.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

You are Not Not the Father! Congratulations!

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
I also redid the youtube thumbnails to look more appealing and less like amateur hour.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Huh, I didn't know the goblins weren't immediately hostile if you let them out. I always assumed they would attack me and attacked them first. :downs:

NigelThornberry posted:

I also redid the youtube thumbnails to look more appealing and less like amateur hour.
And more click-baity. But I liked the old ones better! :qq:
(don't bother with my opinion)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

NigelThornberry posted:

Come Kick, My Lord.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil posted:

Huh, I didn't know the goblins weren't immediately hostile if you let them out. I always assumed they would attack me and attacked them first. :downs:

And more click-baity. But I liked the old ones better! :qq:
(don't bother with my opinion)

Everyone of my friends was telling me the old thumbnail looks like rear end. I liked it also, had a certain public service announcement circa 95 shittiness to it, but it wouldn't get clicked if I hadn't changed it.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Big ol' fight on the docks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poil posted:

they WILL if they run out of targets, they just preferentially target other enemies. as usual the real solution is to be the only thing left living.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
https://i.imgur.com/Exp19RV.gifv
Bit of a spoiler but I could not resist, its just too awesome.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 22, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

This is the episode where the Source Engine physics just go completely ballistic, we had a lot of fun with the hanged man.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you are doing this game correctly

top marks

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Coolguye posted:

they WILL if they run out of targets, they just preferentially target other enemies. as usual the real solution is to be the only thing left living.

I have let them out before after killing everyone, they just ignore you till you smush them. Wouldn't it have been cool if they'd help you fight the guards on the docks if you let them live?

Coolguye posted:

you are doing this game correctly

top marks

Hey are you familiar with the demo map of this game? Its like a section from after you die . Its on the cliffside wheres its goblin camp then orc camp I remember playing the crap out of it back in the day until buying the game. I am not sure if it has ever been part of a LP, you could be a guest for that one if you'd like.

Incidentally it also has a prisoner situation where you can let an orc out to fight goblins, but in that case he will attack you when he runs out of targets.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 23, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you use the "use" command on Leanna she will wait in that spot. It's the best way to prevent her from charging forward to pointblank weak fire spells into the strong fire resistant orcs and their big swords.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

We get into the temple and kill a cow pie.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The sword you made was made via casting iron in a mould. It is a terrible sword.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Spiders are a bunch of assholes.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Meh. :effort:

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Did I gently caress something up?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NigelThornberry posted: