Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

NigelThornberry posted:

Hey are you familiar with the demo map of this game? Its like a section from after you die . Its on the cliffside wheres its goblin camp then orc camp I remember playing the crap out of it back in the day until buying the game. I am not sure if it has ever been part of a LP, you could be a guest for that one if you'd like.
sorry, i had missed this question. i WAS familiar with it about 10 years ago, trying to recall it right now i'm really sketchy on details. if you'd like me along i'm happy to come along. if you don't have PMs on the forum you can get hold of me in our discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

More spiders and collapsing orc shacks on the side of a mountain.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Some good ol wholesome barrel throwing goodness.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This game would be better if it had less spiders in it.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil posted:

Yeah, least favorite enemy, at least they're pretty easy to kill. I find zombies a lot more annoying mechanically.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Mini-Boss

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Probably the most annoying part of the game to be honest, traps everywhere and undead with an unreasonable amount of HP.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Another fight that I just cheap shot. This game almost wants to be trolled.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Very much so. I love the first couple of areas but, well, then the arachnophobia kicks in. It doesn't work with all videogame spiders but these freak the poo poo out of me.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

Very much so. I love the first couple of areas but, well, then the arachnophobia kicks in. It doesn't work with all videogame spiders but these freak the poo poo out of me.

Is it because they crawl on walls?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's their loving hug attack

like seriously i don't have any manner of arachnophobia but even i am unsettled by having spider chode shoved into my eyesockets

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Coolguye posted:

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's their loving hug attack

like seriously i don't have any manner of arachnophobia but even i am unsettled by having spider chode shoved into my eyesockets

The most unsettling insect critters I found was in Metro Last Light, something about them was just particularly unpleasant. Dark Messiah Spiders don't bother me that much, mostly just a nuisance.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's both, honestly, though I have never been able to determine what does and does not trigger it. The one thing I know for sure does - lurking above, hanging from webs, rappeling down - is not even present in this game.

NigelThornberry posted:

The most unsettling insect critters I found was in Metro Last Light, something about them was just particularly unpleasant. Dark Messiah Spiders don't bother me that much, mostly just a nuisance.
Case in point: the Metro spider enemy never bothered me but the (comparatively) tiny, regular spiders that show up on webs and your mask and can be chased away using the lighter do. It could be something with unrealistic proportions on the former, I suppose.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dark Messiah spiders are big enough to be creepy and dangerous but not so big it just becomes ridiculous. Yeah that jump is freaky and can be... well... jump scaring. Also most people don't want a huge spider in their face.

Weirdly enough I didn't find the spiders in Skyrim at all scary or unpleasant until I watched them in let's plays. Then they suddenly got unpleasant to watch.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

We dead, wait no we aren't. We're prob going to record an episode tonight with Coolguy so most of Chapter 7 Blood and Fire (we stopped at the cyclops in the ravine) ,the best part of the game imho and also the level they used for the demo. In the current numbering it should be Part 21.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 6, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Cyclops #33 is dead.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Coolguy makes a guest appearance!

The short story I mentioned is called "A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 9, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

NigelThornberry posted:

We dead, wait no we aren't. We're prob going to record an episode tonight with Coolguy so most of Chapter 7 Blood and Fire (we stopped at the cyclops in the ravine) ,the best part of the game imho and also the level they used for the demo. In the current numbering it should be Part 21.

Live by the spike, die by the spike.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe clean fingernails is high praise among goblins considering how filthy they and their living conditions are.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Addendum to the previous episode, mostly showing off some funky stuff like trapping goblins in walls and freezing them in mid air.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

We did 3 episodes with Coolguy, the next one will be as an "extra" because we ended up playing beyond Chapter 7 so there will be a bit of overlap between the guest and regular playthrough sections.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's easy to play too much. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i have a bit of a gift for gab so once i started talking nigel couldn't really stop me

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Well, only as long as you weren't standing too close to a cliff or wall spikes...

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil posted:

Well, only as long as you weren't standing too close to a cliff or wall spikes...

Yeah I was thinking of applying mighty boot once or twice, but I just wasn't sure if he'd ragdoll.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

The "extra" part kind of ended up being a lore episode.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Welp. Thar she goes.

It's possible it was an old prophecy and most people just forgot about it or it was deliberately hidden. Known only to old sages and in lost shelves in libraries and maybe most just assumed there were enough heirs and relatives around in the various kingdoms with only the demons aware how close it really was since they had been sneakingly assassinating them for centuries. It does pop up rather randomly out of nowhere though. Oh, does that mean good/dull Sareth becomes king?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so i spent a fair bit of time thinking about that and the game theory doesn't add up pretty much no matter which way you slice it.

the Falcon line isn't related to a specific nation or entrenched interest, as xana mentions it's specifically referring to the world as a whole. anyone with anything to lose in the world, therefore, has a vested interest in making sure every other person they bump into is a Falcon descendant, however you are determining what constitutes 'descendant'. i could reason through specific inheritance schemes here but they're frankly irrelevant, literally no 'legitimate' power on the planet would want the Falcons to die out because it's a direct existential threat to whatever game they've got going. even shitfarmers have a vested interest in the welfare of the Falcons if they like having their little shitfarm with their spouse and brood of kids.

as such, directly hiding this doesn't make any sense. it's easy to build consensus around "end of world bad". forgetting about it makes similarly little sense. even in the case of the shitfarmer, if there's one thing outside of the absolute bare basics you could impress upon your children, it's 'yo, armageddon's pretty real and this is how it happens'.

it makes slightly more sense if you want to take a degree of figurative speech in the text and say that the world relates to the order of the planet (so, taken a specific way, the hierocratic feudalism that dominates most of the known world will fall when the Falcons die), this provides a good stage to set for class struggle and also provides a reason for the demon cults to exist in the first place (which is another point that's really poorly explained in both games) - but even then, the total lack of basic competence about this, even and especially on leanna's part, doesn't make any sense from the old money types who absolutely have every reason to care about this. so even in this rather charitable interpretation, it breaks down. this would explain why aarantir works to murder leanna, however - assuming he is fully informed and sees it as a status-quo collapse, status-quo collapses cause lots of deaths and poo poo, which serves his overall interest.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
I don't think the writers cared that deeply about this issue, they just wanted you to choose between Xana and Leanna. Lel.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Why are there cat mummies all over the walls here?

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Lots of loving about in this one, physics are fun.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Zombie glitch at about 1:25

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

-Leanna! We have to save her!
-Sareth, thank you.
-*kick* I won't let you use me wench!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

we only have to save her so we can end her ourselves

tbh this seems pretty legit to me

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
One alternative ending I always wished for is to be able to KO her in the necropolis so that she can witness your ascension to being the big bad. I actually originally thought thats how the fight would end, I didn't think Sareth would go all out and murder her.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 15, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NigelThornberry posted:

One alternative ending I always wished for is to be able to KO her in the necropolis so that she can witness your ascension to being the big bad. I actually originally thought thats how the fight would end, I didn't think Sareth would go all out and murder her.
Obvious downside of that is that she would become possible hero material and set out to oppose us in her own story where she is the protagonist. Then the prophecy could be problematic. :v:

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

This game has been glitching like gently caress past the halfway point in terms of crashing. But then again its never been perfectly stable. It was ok past this part though so the playthrough will be complete.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

And we're back in the city.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Disappointed you didn't kick a ghoul down the hole to join the guy complaining about you bringing ghouls back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

Disappointed you didn't kick a ghoul down the hole to join the guy complaining about you bringing ghouls back.

I wonder what would happen if I did do that. Ill have to take a look.