Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Its the homestretch now, just the town and the necropolis left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

What a surprise, more ghouls.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Aw, you didn't walk up to the temple. You can nope right back out the door and kick the priest over a wall and down a cliff. Xana has some dialog monolog.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil posted:

Aw, you didn't walk up to the temple. You can nope right back out the door and kick the priest over a wall and down a cliff. Xana has some dialog monolog.

I heard you can even walk up to the altar before turning around and leaving. I think I was just too eager to kill more ghouls

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
By the way, wtf is with the ghoul's design? Is that just this game's artistic direction or are they like that in other M&M games?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
kind of? ashan ghouls are always animalistic but the ones in dark messiah are exaggerated to the point where they are dipping harder into uncanny valley than they normally do. you can tell they used to be human, but beyond a quick look they’re not that anymore. the sound is all wrong, the movements are all wrong, the proportions are all wrong, just everything about them is wrong, wrong, wrong on a visceral level. which naturally is the point. in other games they’re a cut above the usual zombies but they’re not the slavering, panting attack dogs that they are in this game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

NigelThornberry posted:

I heard you can even walk up to the altar before turning around and leaving. I think I was just too eager to kill more ghouls
Yes, as long as you don't touch the cleansing thingy you're fine.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Another cow-pie, how original. Guess they ran out of money.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Poil posted:

Yes, as long as you don't touch the cleansing thingy you're fine.

yeah i did a fake-out in my playthrough of walking all the way up to the bath before saying that xana won the vote on who to favor by a landslide. her voice actress hit like 3 stages of grief in about 3 seconds, it was loving beautiful.

then she's practically crying in relief as you walk away. it is also beautiful.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 19, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Coolguye posted:

yeah i did a fake-out in my playthrough of walking all the way up to the bath before saying that xana won the vote on who to favor by a landslide. her voice actress hit like 3 stages of grief in about 3 seconds, it was loving beautiful.

then she's practically crying in relief as you walk away. it is also beautiful.

I need to go back and do it then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if Leanna figured out who really was the dark messiah in that moment. If she did, it makes perfect sense that she would do anything to stop you.

Personally I liked the aesthetics of the opening of the Necropolis so much that I started using the design when playing Dwarf Fortress. Needless to say it took up a LOT of dwarf digging to get just a few coffins with all the tall spires.

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 19, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil posted:

I wonder if Leanna figured out who really was the dark messiah in that moment. If she did, it makes perfect sense that she would do anything to stop you.

Personally I liked the aesthetics of the opening of the Necropolis so much that I started using the design when playing Dwarf Fortress. Needless to say it took up a LOT of dwarf digging to get just a few coffins with all the tall spires.

I once built a giant building out of gold in the shape of a goldfish snack in DF and then a tower made out of alligator soap on top of it. It took forever and it was totally useless. Worth every moment. I similarly had to dig up the whole map to do it.

Speaking of which, I currently play Rimworld semi-regularly, any interest in that on these forums?

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 19, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

NigelThornberry posted:

I once built a giant building out of gold in the shape of a goldfish snack in DF and then a tower made out of alligator soap on top of it. It took forever and it was totally useless. Worth every moment. I similarly had to dig up the whole map to do it.

Speaking of which, I currently play Rimworld semi-regularly, any interest in that on these forums?

Some, it sort of petered out from where it was partly due to the maker being an rear end.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i think that was the most recent discussion, yeah. various rimworld LP ideas get batted around from time to time in the Games thread but nothing has materialized yet. part of the thing there is that most people want to mod it to some extent or another and it's always a weird conversation to have. there's basically 3 schools of thought: there's the pure vanilla folks like me who dislike using pretty much any mods, there's the QOL modders who have their small packs of mods that they consider indispensable (but usually still change the way you interact with the game in a large way), and the radical modders who won't even pay attention unless the install is doing something crazy.

the difficulty is that the second group is the only one that could be described as 'reasonable' in terms of their tastes. they will generally flex to different setups, whereas vanilla folks tend to lose interest when mods are involved because it makes it a lot harder to talk about the game (this is the big reason i rarely post in the Rimworld thread anymore, everyone's games are modded to some extent and i don't want to give anti-advice), and the radical modders lose interest unless someone's being sacrificed to Hastur or there's an event where WH40k space marines drop pod in to fight genestealers (both of which are real mods on the steam workshop).

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

wiegieman posted:

Some, it sort of petered out from where it was partly due to the maker being an rear end.

Could you give some details on that? I am not in the loop.

Coolguye posted:

i think that was the most recent discussion, yeah. various rimworld LP ideas get batted around from time to time in the Games thread but nothing has materialized yet. part of the thing there is that most people want to mod it to some extent or another and it's always a weird conversation to have. there's basically 3 schools of thought: there's the pure vanilla folks like me who dislike using pretty much any mods, there's the QOL modders who have their small packs of mods that they consider indispensable (but usually still change the way you interact with the game in a large way), and the radical modders who won't even pay attention unless the install is doing something crazy.

the difficulty is that the second group is the only one that could be described as 'reasonable' in terms of their tastes. they will generally flex to different setups, whereas vanilla folks tend to lose interest when mods are involved because it makes it a lot harder to talk about the game (this is the big reason i rarely post in the Rimworld thread anymore, everyone's games are modded to some extent and i don't want to give anti-advice), and the radical modders lose interest unless someone's being sacrificed to Hastur or there's an event where WH40k space marines drop pod in to fight genestealers (both of which are real mods on the steam workshop).

I mostly do QOL mods like not allowing mental breaks from any event that causes less than -10 mood debuff and also making mortar fire accuracy intellect-based, just because it makes sense to me from a RP standpoint. I am not necessarily against total conversion mods but only if they are very good, which means 99% are out for me. The only total conversions I ever enjoyed was XCOM: Longwar and some mod in Stalker, I forget what it was called.

NigelThornberry fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 20, 2019

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Pushing people down pits never stop being funny.

I'm sure that dead rear end in a top hat will be happy to receive those stone coffins when he lands. :)

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Poil posted:

Pushing people down pits never stop being funny.

I'm sure that dead rear end in a top hat will be happy to receive those stone coffins when he lands. :)

Is there a bottom to that pit?

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

The penultimate episode.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, boss fight coming up.

NigelThornberry posted:

Is there a bottom to that pit?
Yes, whether it's a floor somewhere deep below or a portal to the afterlife, where they will presumably land on a different kind of floor, it's going to make a nice splat.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Hi Dad, Bye Dad.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So Xana's been a disembodied voice for the entire game only to finally materialize at the very end in a cutscene

OK? How did that happen?

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So Xana's been a disembodied voice for the entire game only to finally materialize at the very end in a cutscene

OK? How did that happen?

Muh skull of shadows .tm

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Funniest ending is if you kill Xana then free your dad.
He is not happy

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

Funniest ending is if you kill Xana then free your dad.
He is not happy

Really? I remember watching the outro and he just murks Leanna and then says that he hopes she was useful.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
I think the spineless guy was the real MVP of this LP

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS-bcGR-IBw

Highlights from the first part of the game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Man that barrel toss never cease to amaze. :allears:

gently caress you dad I won't do as you tell me! It's my life! You don't understand!

Cloudmonkey98
Apr 1, 2019

NigelThornberry posted:

Really? I remember watching the outro and he just murks Leanna and then says that he hopes she was useful.

He's unhappy, not because Xana is dead, but because Sareth has given up his demonic blood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019
And one more highlight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wj8WYfBq8

Is there something special I have to do now that the LP is over? Is it archived somewhere?