Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gyroball posted:

So I totally get if this isn't something you're into, but the honest answer has to be miraclr: Divine Dating Sim. I know. I KNOW! it's really funny I ended up making VNs. (We do PG-13 otome games instead of eroge so the irony isn't THAT strong). Still, miraclr is the only game we've done that was, well, silly in the way The Closer is. So if you don't mind Otome, it is largely the same energy as The Closer.

Make the A League Of Their Own eroge. I dare you :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What a game. What an LP. I found the pitch to be kinda eh but game and LP both knocked it out of the park in the end. Congrats on making a Brit care about Baseball.

Realtalk; Thread, if you want there to be a "gently caress That" gangtag, agree on one and we'll make it happen.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I like this one. Though I'd move the text just a hair farther over to the right, so it's more aligned/centered.

Quackles fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 8, 2019

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Seconding the previous poster.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fedule posted:

Realtalk; Thread, if you want there to be a "gently caress That" gangtag, agree on one and we'll make it happen.

When given several options, the only appropriate one is "gently caress That".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I loved this. Thank you, gyroball. Thank you, McD.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Quackles posted:

I like this one. Though I'd move the text just a hair farther over to the right, so it's more aligned/centered.

Talow posted:

Seconding the previous poster.

Hey, I decided to take a stab at giving my own take on that design, because it has some things that really annoy me that come from the fact that Dirt Road Junglist didn't have any access to the original resources like I do. For instance, if you use a dark theme like I do, you'll notice throughout the LP that there are some stray white pixels around Bobson that stick out like a sore thumb if you're anal about unclean graphics like I am. I never fixed them because I'm fat and lazy, but if we're talking about a gangtag that I'd be more regularly seeing, then it would probably bug me more.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This game, this LP, and that gang tag are all amazing. :allears:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

someone should probably email zizek about this game/lp, it has the potential to be very funny

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

We can work with this.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

V. Illych L. posted:

someone should probably email zizek about this game/lp, it has the potential to be very funny

Zizek as a goon would be an experience, to be sure :allears:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

What an incredible lp and game. Bravo TheMcD and gyroball.

I've gone to a couple of baseball games, but it never really caught me so it was interesting to read about the sidebars.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

TheMcD posted:

Hey, I decided to take a stab at giving my own take on that design, because it has some things that really annoy me that come from the fact that Dirt Road Junglist didn't have any access to the original resources like I do. For instance, if you use a dark theme like I do, you'll notice throughout the LP that there are some stray white pixels around Bobson that stick out like a sore thumb if you're anal about unclean graphics like I am. I never fixed them because I'm fat and lazy, but if we're talking about a gangtag that I'd be more regularly seeing, then it would probably bug me more.

Brilliant, thanks for that! I was working from one of your screenshots with background elements under the "gently caress That" that made it hard to move the text to the center. I did clean up some of the hard pixels around Bobson's portrait, but it was a quick and dirty by-hand job that only looks good on a pale theme. I would have had to go back and clean it up anyway. (Sup fellow annoyed-by-unclean-graphics goon?)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The writing in this game was really impressive because absurdity is genuinely hard to do well. Managing to write a completely ridiculous plot where events actually do seem to flow from one to another, the payoff to the story actually does feel earned, and certain things are even foreshadowed (of course Carlos Rodriguez would possess powers of Philosophy; he was raised by the Illuminati!) is no joke. Same for doing it while maintaining consistent and interesting characters.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Art.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Picasso would poo poo bricks

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

My god what a beautiful sight.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Man, I'd take some of that action.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yo, amazing-effort LP and great game, with thanks to my IRC buds and the GBS thread for the recommendation, this marks the second surrealist baseball RPG I've seen

I'd so come in on this after years of ignoring tags

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fedule posted:

We can work with this.

Alright, the thread seems to be down, so I'm down too. Is this the part where you make some sort of "quote this if you want the tag" post?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I still can't say I care about sportsball very much.

But this game and this LP were a blast. Thanks!

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

This owns and so did this LP and game holy poo poo.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TheMcD posted:

Alright, the thread seems to be down, so I'm down too. Is this the part where you make some sort of "quote this if you want the tag" post?

Yes, but no.

We're not going to be doing a big giveaway of tags. Frankly, we shouldn't've done that for the Reborn thread because it was unexpectedly popular and caused a lot of people to think that was the norm. We should've just done the usual thing, which, for the record, is this;

Eventually, an admin will upload the image to a somethingawful.com address. This might take a while, because we are currently experiencing some light radium. When they do, I'll post the newly hosted image here, after which anyone can add it to the title text on their account using [img] tags the same as any other forums title change.

You and gyroball can have freebies, if you want, for your services rendered.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Reborn breaking all the rules.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Fedule posted:

Yes, but no.

We're not going to be doing a big giveaway of tags. Frankly, we shouldn't've done that for the Reborn thread because it was unexpectedly popular and caused a lot of people to think that was the norm. We should've just done the usual thing, which, for the record, is this;

Eventually, an admin will upload the image to a somethingawful.com address. This might take a while, because we are currently experiencing some light radium. When they do, I'll post the newly hosted image here, after which anyone can add it to the title text on their account using [img] tags the same as any other forums title change.

You and gyroball can have freebies, if you want, for your services rendered.

Alright, cool. I'll take you up on that offer.

McTimmy posted:

Reborn breaking all the rules.

See, we should've ended the LP with fulfilling the prophecy. Then, just like Rodriguez said, we too could be Reborn.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

This was really awesome. Thank you very much.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Black August posted:

this marks the second surrealist baseball RPG I've seen

If this game is only second, I so want to see what's first.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dragonatrix posted:

They didn't say second-best, just second, chronologically.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

And the first is most likely OFF, what with the main character there being "The batter"

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
This thread has been phenomenal. Thank you very much to Gyro and to The McD. I think I learned more about baseball here than I had in my entire life up until this point. I'm not sure it's possible to overstate how much I ended up loving this in the end.

Finding myself weirdly appreciative of the shoutout to Psalm 129 (130). Is that a reference to the Japanese tendency to throw in references to Christianity totally gratuitously and without making any real sense, or was prayer/player too obvious of a pun to make?

[Digression: Is that the standard Latin translation of the Fátima decade prayer? I've seen a couple and the one I'm most familiar with is a bit different (though this one is definitely closer to the English rather than perhaps the original Portuguese.) I guess that's a challenge for a non-traditional prayer!]

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Regallion posted:

And the first is most likely OFF, what with the main character there being "The batter"
I wouldn't call OFF a "baseball RPG", sure the main character is kinda a baseball man, but everything else in the game isn't about baseball.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Zereth posted:

I wouldn't call OFF a "baseball RPG", sure the main character is kinda a baseball man, but everything else in the game isn't about baseball.

True, but when you tag "surrealist" "baseball" OFF is likely what was implied.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Help, I saw this in another thread and thought it came from this thread and now I'm confused someone hold me.

https://twitter.com/RoseLeoMusk/status/1046095288514105348

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Help, I saw this in another thread and thought it came from this thread and now I'm confused someone hold me.

Wait, that isn't a twitter belonging to a fusion of Twitter and Zizek?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Btw, in the aftermath of this game someone is going to have to ride herd on Zizek because you know at a certain point he's going to start thinking about using applied ontology again.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

habeasdorkus posted:

Btw, in the aftermath of this game someone is going to have to ride herd on Zizek because you know at a certain point he's going to start thinking about using applied ontology again.

Sounds like sequel material

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so, here's a little something to cap off this thread and while we wait for the gangtag to be uploaded (apparently Radium code shenanigans are causing problems - this is me being surprised), I would like to announce a little contest.

If you want the gangtag, but aren't too high on this buying thing, you can enter this contest, where a lucky three contestants will win a free title change certificate, courtesy of my wallet. How do you enter? Well, that's simple.

Just record some baseball video game gameplay.

The only rule is that there needs to be a baseball game going on, with innings and hits and pitching and stuff. No Ninja Baseball Batman, basically. Anything else is pretty much fair game. You want to do some editing or commentary to spice it up? Feel free. You don't? That's cool too. If you're really good, fine, if you suck, hey, I'm not great either.

How will you be judged? I'll watch the videos and pick out my favorites, entirely arbitrarily. However, that means that anybody can win! Attempt to appeal to my favorites at your own risk.

Here's a video I made as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYv6GL_G3E

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 18, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That reminds me: notable game-breaker PJ DiCesare does CPU vs. CPU tournaments in Super Baseball Simulator 1000, an extremely silly SNES baseball game, to decide which game he's going to stream next. For example.

(This is obviously not an entry into TheMcD's contest, just something tangentially related)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
That could be fun. Until actual entries come in I will lead off (ha ha) with the goon field trip I was part of to ULTIMATE BASEBALL ONLINE 2007, which I realized happened every bit of ten years ago wow am I old.

Everyone had to agree not to steal bases because it would soft crash the game and leave you with nothing to do except yell at the runner until you closed your game. The infielders could also crowd home plate so that not only was it impossible to see pitches coming but any line drive was caught instantly. Good times!

tomanton fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 18, 2019