Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what about people writing helvetica neue in helvetica olde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds appropriate then

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:argh::argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
me reading that post :

hmm pycharm? I thought bloody didn’t have any respect for pyt..... oh :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have ligatures turned on in vschode with fira code

i used to like inconsolata but the rendering is terrible. it’s like macos style antialiased which is terrible on my res vs others which obey the pixel grid

i guess the fonts decisions to do one or the other are inside the font file right? a font deciding how to render at small sizes is more complex that initially imagined, compared to large sizes where it kinda doesn’t matter 🤔

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

the rainbow brackets plugin i found for visual studio has an extra feature where if you hold ctrl for a second it will highlight the block that the cursor is currently in

and holy god drat that is fantastic

four fifths of the word anime was in that? mods????

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
helvetica

neue

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ayep fira code coz it’s cute af

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Helvetica nu

i cried when i saw this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I actually desperately want to use this, but it appears that that's actually the stylistic set of avant garde, which requires some open type fuckery to use.. as in it seems that there isn't a basic font file that looks like that. drat it it gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
passion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

just do it yourself, that’s a super simple look to copy, it’s just right angles, circles and exactly one angle

year and years ago I used to use some
signwritinf software calle CASMate and I was like fuckin yngwie malmsteen when it came
to working those vectors

every single program I’ve used since, like illustrator? gently caress it’s been so much harder

the ease at which I could construct and edit vectors, fundamentally flexible snapping tools and CAD like ability to type in instructions

it was glorious

I struggle to do the same in blender. I should
probably watch a tutorial.. but so many tutorials have a person who talks sooonslowly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

illustrator is the correct way to manipulate vectors. maybe try affinity? it’s cheap and has a free demo

oh yep I got affinity paint or photo or whatever it’s called and I like it a lot

illustrator is mostly ok except it feels like cad style snapping and coord entry is tacked on an awkward

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

just get that crack program that will bust out all the adobe cloud apps as long as you unhook your ethernet cable during install, jesus, what are you cheap rear end nerds doing

actually trying to have a legit workflow for my rodtronics seeing as I am making (meagre amounts of) money now :ohdear:

Agile Vector posted:

im trying affinity because i just dont want to give adobe money for a sub and i do very little freelance work now, not enough to justify the monthly cost at least (and the work machine has cc 2018)

it's nice, can do quite a bit, but relearning the tools is aggravatingly slow and im too stubborn to watch a video on how to do layering and manage filters and alpha channels and poo poo after over 20 years of wrangling photoshop and illustrator

I quite like it but not everything is amazing. I wish image programs would advance to nodes rather than layers, because it’s represents what you’re actually doing to the picture so much better

like maybe i just don’t get it but when you screen the top layer, does it screen with the one under it or all under it? can every permutation that you create with nodes be done with layers? layers seem so antiquated after using nodes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

speaking of incomprehensible programs: blender is somehow no longer one of them, and seems actually legitimately cool and good now. unsure what the hell happened.

i even made a thread about this very topic

the material management system is still open to cause headaches tho. honestly i don’t get exactly what about the new ui makes it easier tho it’s mostly the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

it's pretty weird yeah

the interface is still bad but now it's just "as bad as any other 3d modeling program" instead of "as bad as the GIMP" and that's a huge step forwards

it’s obscenely adjustable interface is a massive bonus but also bites because i am always honing my workspace but then i open an old file with old workspace and it bites. yes i can tick a box but no i always forget