Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thumbsmcgraw
Jul 26, 2007
I'm trying to solve a problem for my buddy and really striking out. I guess he has always used a ps2 5 button mouse for gaming, and it just died. Anyway, he needs to be able to hold down two mouse buttons at the same time (don't ask), and this isn't possible with a digital mouse.

So unless you guys can point me to a 5 button ps2 mouse, I'd love to know if there is software that will allow him to map two mouse functions to one click.

Help him tech savvy SAers. You're his only hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I press multiple buttons on a USB Logitech MX500 daily. If you can't press multiple buttons it sounds like a configuration issue. I have also had half a dozen other mice and never had a problem "chording" with them.

thumbsmcgraw
Jul 26, 2007

craig588 posted:

I press multiple buttons on a USB Logitech MX500 daily. If you can't press multiple buttons it sounds like a configuration issue. I have also had half a dozen other mice and never had a problem "chording" with them.

He thought that holding down the left and right mouse buttons at the same time wouldn't register on a digital mouse. Is that not true?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
He's totally wrong, USB mice are good. Also, he should look into AutoHotKey, since it sounds like he's doing some weird thing that scripting might help with.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Logitech mice also come with their own macro programming software, if you want to go that way. Other brands probably do as well but the Logitech stuff is actually decent and not too horrible bloatware.

I concur with the opinion that there's absolutely no problem using many buttons at the same time with any of my USB mice. I've actually never heard of this particular objection to USB mice either; it used to be many years ago that some progamers would object to USB on the grounds that it had more latency due to lower poll rate or something, but that stopped being an issue ages ago, and it's not like you can get new PS2 mice these days either.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Holding right and left mouse buttons at the same time is super common in modern shooters that use the aim down sights mechanic, which is like 95% of modern shooters. I cannot recall a single instance where anyone said their mouse, USB or otherwise, couldn't register both at the same time. Your friend is out of his mind.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Did your friend last attempt using a USB mouse via a USB-to-PS2 adapter?

Maybe he just needs to clean the mouse ball :v:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Discussion Quorum posted:

Did your friend last attempt using a USB mouse via a USB-to-PS2 adapter?

You might be on to something there, that could actually explain such problems.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

thumbsmcgraw posted:

He thought that holding down the left and right mouse buttons at the same time wouldn't register on a digital mouse. Is that not true?

Call me Mr Pedantic, but aren't all mice 'digital'?

Like, since forever?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Pretty sure holding a button to look down the scope while firing was the default Quake 3 control scheme in 1999.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did your friend offer to carry any printers for you in exchange for finding false-mice?

thumbsmcgraw
Jul 26, 2007
Good points all around. I don't get the carrying printers joke but, I'll pass everything on.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

thumbsmcgraw posted:

I don't get the carrying printers joke

It's an absolute classic.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

thumbsmcgraw posted:

Good points all around. I don't get the carrying printers joke but, I'll pass everything on.

Oh you sweet summer child

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

Pretty sure holding a button to look down the scope while firing was the default Quake 3 control scheme in 1999.
Quake 3 didn't have scopes.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The railgun could zoom.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Dick Burglar posted:

The railgun could zoom.

Z was the default zoom, it was not weapon specific. IIRC.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Middle button (scrollwheel button). Granted I didn't actually own the game until 2000, but still.

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....
that is simply not true because just about every single mouse on the market today that is multiple button is USB....

they also need to upgrade their system from the late 90s cuz USBs been around for going on 20 years..

I know that my cosigner has close to 16 18 20 buttons or something like that on it Barry and I can program it to do just about anything I want. Up to and including programming all of the buttons to hit F1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Dick Burglar posted:

Holding right and left mouse buttons at the same time is super common in modern shooters that use the aim down sights mechanic, which is like 95% of modern shooters. I cannot recall a single instance where anyone said their mouse, USB or otherwise, couldn't register both at the same time. Your friend is out of his mind.

Apple's mouse, where it has one button, but registers right clicks using a capacitive panel, and therefore assumes you want to right click if a finger is resting on the right side of it